PDA

View Full Version : Need help with replacement modem.

multiskilled
05-02-2010, 23:39
Hi I have just received a new cisco modem from VM as my old surfboard 4200 had an intermittent fault.

I connected it as per instructions,I am using usb not Ethernet to connect to pc and have no wireless connection.Then rang the 0800 number to get it activated.Got through very quick, activation sent.couldn't connect to internet.

To cut a long story short it seems I need to download some drivers for this new modem. I have managed to get my old modem reactivated so I can get on line to get them but don't know where to find them any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ignitionnet
05-02-2010, 23:51
Use Ethernet, problem solved.

Ben B
05-02-2010, 23:53
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/get-started/usb-drivers.php

Peter_
Why do you need drivers it should be plug and play unless you are still connecting using USB which has not been supported for at least 3 years due to it being to slow.

You will be lucky to get 10Mb via USB and would be better advised getting a Network card fitted for a few pounds.

If you had received the Ambit 256 instead then that would only have had an ethernet port fitted, and we cannot specify which model you would have received, its a case of first off the shelf.

Here are the drivers for your modem as they are still available on the website but are totally unsupported by Virginmedia. http://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/get-started/usb-drivers.php

Snap Ben.:D

moaningmags
USB hasn't been supported for 2 years now, as BB said ethernet is the way to go.

multiskilled
06-02-2010, 00:17
Thanks for all the replies guess it's a trip to Pc world. Probably the reason I only get 6MB on my 10MB connection.

moaningmags
06-02-2010, 00:23
Do you not already have an ethernet card installed on your machine?
Check in device manager under Network Adaptors.

multiskilled
06-02-2010, 00:32
Got this will it do?

Intel(r) PRO/100 VE network

Just Googled it and it seems to be an ethernet connection built into the motherboard

moaningmags
06-02-2010, 01:09
Yup that's ethernet, all you need now is an ethernet cable, check the box the modem came in it may have one. If not, you can get them just about anywhere. Ethernet or RJ-45 cable.

multiskilled
06-02-2010, 01:33
Thanks again, will let you know how I get on when I get my cable. :tu:

Peter_
06-02-2010, 08:07
Thanks again, will let you know how I get on when I get my cable. :tu:
Do not get a ethernet cable from PC World as it will be rather expensive, Tesco and ASDA do 1.2 or 1.8 metre cables for under £3 and and you can get a 10 metre cable for £4.99 from your local Screwfix.

multiskilled
06-02-2010, 09:39
"Well smack my bottom." I reckon it's a trip to the supermarket "Every little helps." :D

Milambar
06-02-2010, 12:34
Better still, befriend your local geek (beer helps), they often have old cables laying around. I know I've got more than a dozen I've accumulated over the years.

Also, I've noticed a number of places trying to sell "superior grade" or "gold plated" network cables for premium prices. Not needed, at all, so don't get conned.

Peter_
06-02-2010, 12:40
Better still, befriend your local geek (beer helps), they often have old cables laying around. I know I've got more than a dozen I've accumulated over the years.

I have 2 boxes of cables I may find a use for one day.:erm:

I have 1 mtr to 20 mtr lengths in case of an emergency.;)

Kymmy
06-02-2010, 12:48
Note to Moldova's bosses, if you find yourself low on ethernet cables...you know where they've all gone ;)

:D:D:D

Dai
06-02-2010, 13:06
"Well smack my bottom." I reckon it's a trip to the supermarket "Every little helps." :D

I've never had a problem with Poundshop ethernet (patch)cables or their USB cables for that matter.

pip08456
06-02-2010, 19:11
Neither have I.

multiskilled
09-02-2010, 12:26
Update: Purchased Ethernet cable at Tesco connected it to old modem initially to check if all ok.Now getting 9.9MB download :D

Phoned today to get new one activated as the sufboard had an intermittent power fault.Must have have got through to Wales call centre, anyway now up and running at full speed.

Big Thank you to all of you for the help, one very happy bunny here.

Peter_
09-02-2010, 17:26
Update: Purchased Ethernet cable at Tesco connected it to old modem initially to check if all ok.Now getting 9.9MB download :D

Phoned today to get new one activated as the sufboard had an intermittent power fault.Must have have got through to Wales call centre, anyway now up and running at full speed.

Big Thank you to all of you for the help, one very happy bunny here.
A nice easy fix and you are now getting what you are paying for.:D