PDA

View Full Version : DDoS Attacks

ColinD
05-02-2010, 16:55
I play an online game which some people take very seriously. In order to beat me, these pathetic kids are launching DDoS attacks on me to disconnect my internet connection and they are doing it frequently. I was tricked into clicking a link and now they have my IP.

I can't change my IP with ipconfig /release and /renew and I also can't use the assign IP automatically. What can I do?

Kymmy
05-02-2010, 16:59
Change the mac on the router or the NIC (if no router) then reboot the modem, that will give you a new IP

*sloman*
05-02-2010, 17:00
Most router have SPI firewalls built in to prevent this, check this is enabled.

VM may be able to change your IP but it wont stop them discovering your IP again.

You could also try using a proxy or vpn but this may increase your ping

ColinD
05-02-2010, 17:03
I can stop them getting my IP again because I won't click links again. Could anybody instruct me about how I would change the Mac or Nic? I have a Motorola Modem and it's pretty old. I don't have wireless and use a ethernet cable to connect directly to my computer.

AndyCalling
05-02-2010, 18:03
Power off the modem. Go to the driver settings for your network card or port (control panel, device settings in Vista/Win7) and there should be a setting for 'mac code' or 'network address' or some such (probably dissabled). Assuming you have no other network device attached, you can set this to anything you like (I forget how many figures it needs, just google for an example of a mac code). Now, power up your modem again and it will give you a new IP. This is a warning, GET A FIREWALL ROUTER.

caph
05-02-2010, 19:37
This is a warning, GET A FIREWALL ROUTER.

As I understand it, this will make no difference. The DDOS attack floods packets to the console which has already opened up the required port(s) through the router that the DDOS attack uses.

Milambar
05-02-2010, 20:04
A firewall only goes so far when it comes to mitigating a DoS or DDoS attack. It will stop the packets from reaching the PC, but the attack will still saturate his bandwidth, they do after all, have to reach the firewall first, before they can be rejected.

The end result is the same, the user will disconnect, owing to an overly high ping, and a worse case scenario is that the user will effectivly lose their internet connectivity until the attack abates, as legitimate traffic can't get through.

Worst cases need to be filtered by the provider (aka, Virgin, can't see them doing much, tbh), or aquire a new IP.