PDA

View Full Version : Modem Signal Levels - Strange Issue

sirshambling
05-02-2010, 13:03
My 50MB connection has been very variable in speed over the last few weeks so I had a look at the Signal levels and found the four downstream 256QAM power levels ranged from 10.0 to 11.98 way outside the range suggested in the helpful Sticky at the top of the forum.

The installer left a 10db attenuator behind so I put that on and of couse it reduced those figures by the 10db putting them well inside the range on the Sticky.

I went to the Virgin games demos site to check the new speed of the connection and instead of setting four download streams off at the same time I was only able to get one going at a time. Removing the attenuator restored the ability to run four simultaneous download streams.

Can anybody please tell me what's going on here. And is there anything I can do to reduce the Signal levels to the usual range and get the four download streams to work.

TIA. John.

Sephiroth
05-02-2010, 13:45
We need to see your full stats and event log (removing you CM-MAC address) in order to offer comment.

calmpitbull
05-02-2010, 17:08
Fitting an attenuator will not have any bearing on how many downloads you can initiate.

sirshambling
05-02-2010, 22:47
We need to see your full stats and event log (removing you CM-MAC address) in order to offer comment.

I know - but it does and I'm asking why.