PDA

View Full Version : Slow Internet in Swansea

kai_mitsurugi
02-02-2010, 23:28
Am I the only one? We have TV, Phone and 10Mb Broadband. It's been really slow the last few days especially buffering videos on Youtube and on the F1 replay site. Speed test are up and down, haven't had 10mb in ages and speeds tend to be around 1-5MB. Any ideas?

Sephiroth
02-02-2010, 23:39
Are you the only one? Please search the forum on the term "Swansea" and see if any of it applies to you.

kai_mitsurugi
02-02-2010, 23:44
Appears so.

broadbandking
03-02-2010, 00:59
Have you rang VM?

Delta Whiskey
03-02-2010, 10:04
No speed problem here in the town centre, I am getting random disconnections which last from a few minutes to half an hour or so. No apparent reason.

kai_mitsurugi
03-02-2010, 12:01
Here's today at 11am. Isn't too bad this morning it shot up to 10 them dropped back down to 7.76mb.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/02/58.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

I'll keep doing tests on the hour to see if there's a pattern.

kai_mitsurugi
03-02-2010, 16:57
Here it is at 4pm. Fine so far.
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/02/57.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Welshchris
04-02-2010, 19:06
instead of doing a speedtest on Birmingham, do one on London.

+ Also when u get the problem try and download 4 files simitaniously here...

http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/

Speedtest isnt brilliant for speedtests. I had 50mb installed earlier and did a test and got 47mb, just did another and got 8mb yet i can download at 5.2mb/s from gamefiles. Shows speedtest sites arnt brilliant.

kai_mitsurugi
09-02-2010, 23:18
What I have noticed is that once it goes past 6pm it slows down like I'm being capped. I don't download as much as I used to. I watch Youtube videos and iPlayer a fair bit but not I would consider excessive downloading. I downloaded DU Meter just now to monitor my speed and traffic. I'm currently at 3.6mbps but this should be 10mb max and I'm lucky if I see 5mb after 6pm.

Welshchris
09-02-2010, 23:37
Post a question on the VM Newsgroups. Chances are either u have signal issues or ur area has over utilization as theres a lot of students around that area like where i used to Live in Swansea. I used to live not far from the Student Village in Swansea and it used to get oversubscribed about once every 10 months due to students.

Sleeper919
10-02-2010, 13:58
I live near Swansea but no problems to report here. If anything my service has been more reliable of late.

Welshchris
10-02-2010, 15:51
Sleeper ur proberbly on a different part of the network and UBR/BSR.

kai_mitsurugi
10-02-2010, 19:25
Sleeper ur proberbly on a different part of the network and UBR/BSR.

I'm lost UBR/BSR?

I'm in Gorseinon and yes I'm a student. It's wierd it's only been happening since about the beginning of February maybe.

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:24 ----------

Post a question on the VM Newsgroups. Chances are either u have signal issues or ur area has over utilization as theres a lot of students around that area like where i used to Live in Swansea. I used to live not far from the Student Village in Swansea and it used to get oversubscribed about once every 10 months due to students.

Sorry about this but where are the newsgroups? I've never used them before.

Sleeper919
10-02-2010, 21:41
Over utilisation of the network seems a probable cause. First try and find out if others are affected.

Sephiroth
10-02-2010, 22:01
I'm lost UBR/BSR?
[SEPH]: These devices are the routers that terminate your connexion. UBR is Universal Broadband Router and the term was coined by Cisco. BSR is (I think) Broadband Services Router and is the abbreviation used for marketing by Motorola. There is a declared problem with the Motorola BSRs and you know you're on one if you bond 4 channels on your downstream (Cisco bonds three channels)

I'm in Gorseinon and yes I'm a student. It's wierd it's only been happening since about the beginning of February maybe.

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:24 ----------

Sorry about this but where are the newsgroups? I've never used them before.
[SEPH]: You can post a help request on the VM support newsgroup, who are 2nd line support techs and will respond quickly to you. It beats the offshore debacle by a long mile.

If you're on XP, the VM web site tells you how to connect to the newsgroup using Outlook Express (Outlook doesn't support this).

If you're on Vista or Windows 7, you would use Windows Live Mail (a standard part of your system). To get on the VM Newsgroup you need to be operating through the VM broadband system.

In Windows Live Mail, you'd click the "Newsgroups" link at the bottom of the screen and then Tools/Accounts then Add/Newsgroup Account.

Give your Display Name (like kiloman), your e-mail address (which can be fictitious) then your server address for the newsgroup which is "news.virginmedia.com".

You'll then be able (via the Newsgroups menu item) to select the Virgin media icon on the left of a search panel, click on "All" and wait a few minutes till it's finished listing thousands of newsgroups.

Scroll down to "Virginmedia.support.broadband.cable" and double click it.

And you're there. You can post your stuff including any evidence you've collected.