PDA

View Full Version : new install, got no idea

mattolsen
02-02-2010, 16:24
hey

Ive got my install date which is tomorrow (3rd feb) and ive got some q's.
getting tv, broadband and phone.

1. i live in a flat, 2 floors below me, ive been told this is fine to install to. There was aprevious tenant but i do not know what services have been here before. I have not had anything installed myself. There is a tv ariel socket (working) and a phone socket (assume works but no provider yet).

I have one of those green boxes about 5 metres from the main entrance to the block im in. the ground surrounding is solid concrete. minus some grass dropped down. ill try and draw a map lol

----------------------------------
i..............road...............i
i.....................box......... i
i......................-----------i
i ...........steps..i.............i
i.....................i..grass....i
i-----------door-i------------------------------
.................................................. x
hope that makes sence :p:

my existing phone/tv sockets are located at x roughly.

2. will they have to dig the concrete up? im assuming the block of flats may have a internal sytem already in place but i dont know.

3. i have seen vm vans arround the place where i live so i assume its possilbe for it to be installed.

will the cable run on the outside of my house, and will the height be a problem?

4. i havnt had anyone from vm come round yet nor are there any cables hanging around. so is that normal??

thanks in advance

Dukefever
02-02-2010, 16:28
I am sure Virgin would not have booked you in if they cannot provide a service. A simple check of your address when ordering would flag up a problem with any potential install issue.

Don't worry, relax, & wait for the engineer to attend.

Duke

mattolsen
02-02-2010, 16:32
thanks, ive got some faith in them at the moment, but after reading these stories im already expecting the worst. I know this is only a small percentage of installations and only bad ones get posted, but you know.

roger skillin
02-02-2010, 16:38
Virgin services do not use tv aerial sockets and you might just have an existing BT socket which they will also not use, there will probably be little grey boxes on the wall around the edge of the building which they will run the cables from, they will have to drill through from the outside to pass the cable through, this is a very quick process really, when we had ours installed, the whole process took less than an hour,although we had to wait a few hours for all the channels to come through on the tv

mattolsen
02-02-2010, 16:45
thanks again. i dont think theres any boxes around but i could be wrong.

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

ill also post the outcome of this tomorrow as i couldnt find any info on my "problem". may help someone out in the future

Dukefever
02-02-2010, 17:54
You don't have a "problem" or at least not "yet" lol.

Nethertheless do post back with your result.

Oh and by the way :welcome:

Duke

mattolsen
03-02-2010, 13:39
well they came today around 10, the bloke couldnt find the cable thing as my flats wired up funny. he spent around an hour looking for it, then found it down the road???

but long story short, everything works now. i had problems with the netgear router being incredibly slow so i logged in and fiddled and now it all works!

overall, i would give them a 9/10. could be better, but compared to some of the stories here, could be a hell of a lot worse.

Console_Crazy
03-02-2010, 13:57
well they came today around 10, the bloke couldnt find the cable thing as my flats wired up funny. he spent around an hour looking for it, then found it down the road???

but long story short, everything works now. i had problems with the netgear router being incredibly slow so i logged in and fiddled and now it all works!

overall, i would give them a 9/10. could be better, but compared to some of the stories here, could be a hell of a lot worse.

glad its all sorted for you mate! happy viewing :cool:

saabmania2
04-02-2010, 07:39
Hooray another satisfied customer, good to hear you got it all done without to many problems :)

Digital Fanatic
04-02-2010, 13:58
Good to hear :cool: