PDA

View Full Version : Reduced speed through ageing wired router

michael.street
01-02-2010, 16:31
Hi all,
Hope someone can help with a query/problem related to my broadband connection/speed. I have the 2mb (with 10mb) uplift. I confirmed with Virgin that this had been done - they said YES in September 2009. I have an ageing wired Belkin 5230-4 router feeding 2 computers which are close together and only 3 feet from the router and modem. As I hadn't noticed any increase in speed I tested it and found that my 'up to 10mb' never went above 3.9mb download and 400mps upload speeds. Eventually I called tech support. They tested it online and sent an engineer. He replaced my old NTL 150 modem with a 256 model. Eventually he said that with my current setup (2 computers on the wired router) that my speed wouldn't increase. He said that if one computer was connected solely to the modem (no router) the speed would be up to 10mb. I have done this and he is right - 9.8mb!

My query is 'Can I get an increase on both computers at the same time? If so what do I need to do? Should Virgin be able to enable me to do this within my contract or is it an extra I need to sort out for myself?'

Many thanks,

Mike

darren.b
01-02-2010, 17:52
Hi,

10Mb is the maximum you can pull through the modem, so 2 comps downloading at the same time would get 5Mb each in theory. If only one is downloading, it should get the full 10Mb.

If you want 10Mb on both machines at the same time, you'd need to upgrade to 20Mb.

michael.street
01-02-2010, 18:08
Hi,

10Mb is the maximum you can pull through the modem, so 2 comps downloading at the same time would get 5Mb each in theory. If only one is downloading, it should get the full 10Mb.

If you want 10Mb on both machines at the same time, you'd need to upgrade to 20Mb.

Thanks for that info. However, when only one computer is switched on and so only one is downloading the speed is still only up to 4mb. Is this to be expected?

Mike

darren.b
01-02-2010, 18:48
Hi,

If your router is only delivering 4Mb and is getting on in life, you would be better off replacing it with something newer. :)

michael.street
01-02-2010, 18:54
Hi,

If your router is only delivering 4Mb and is getting on in life, you would be better off replacing it with something newer. :)

Thanks again. I thought that a newer router (which I bought before NTL as was were providing any) might offer an answer. Anyone care to offer a recommendation? As setup is so close together wireless isn't NECESSARY but may be futureproof!

Thanks for any help.