PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Change in SNR. good?

senthumax
01-02-2010, 00:43
Hi Seph and friends,

its me senthumax i was talking vt u since yesterday abt my poor SNR
this evening i found a spear cable modem from my store, i removed the old modem and fixed this new modem, later i activated the new mac address with vm hotline,

its so weired i am getting like this now

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 124
Downstream Frequency : 459000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 40.1 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 47400000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 46.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

any good or bad please advice me? do u recon that was the faulty of my old modem?
anyway engineer is comming tomorrow
i will please him to fix a sealed box for my outside cotax cables.
which is lying down on the floor.

Sephiroth
01-02-2010, 01:40
I don't think anyone would believe your story!

1/
You've done something unusual and got away with it. A privately bought cable modem successfully connected via VM CS.

2/
You described a situation where your outside wall box was near wrecked and that matched your seriously low SNR. And that wall box is still shot (assuming it's yours).

3/
Whacking in a new cable modem shouldn't have improved your SNR. Tjose stats are perfect.

So, how is performance now?

senthumax
01-02-2010, 04:11
Hi Seph ,
iam honest to god wht i said is true, the modem i got its supplied by virgin i got it fm my landload. still my outside cables are lying down on the floor.

i just tried myself connecting new modem and cheaked the connection status suddenly i saw the SNR level gone high than the old modem and i phoned up the VM and given my new MAC address they activated over the phone.

after connecting the new modem i coudnt able to internet only activation page then phoned up vm again the said that they hav send me some signals to my modem blabla i dnt understand abt their tecnical things.

now i tested my connection on speedtest.net it was like that i am really shoked
http://www.speedtest.net/result/701484223.png
www.speedtest.net/result/701474952.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/701350479.png
http://www.speedtest.net/result/701348787.png
i did three test in diffrent times
all 64mb/sec , 75mb/sec and finally 112mb/sec ,141mb/sec

i know no1 belive it but honest to god its true. wht i am getting now is true.
i tried rapidshare downlod its downloading via IDM 2.3 MB/sec

thanks again for ur help

senthumax

Sephiroth
01-02-2010, 10:37
I did believe you - it's just such an amazing story. A crap VM modem, a private modem accepted into service, box & wires outside all over the place - and it was either the first modem faulty or the cable needed screwing in properly!

The only valid speed test is one like Rapidshare, or for VM network issue ttp://www.virginmedia.com/testmyspeed/manual.php. Speedtest.net is unreliable as you've seen.

You appear to be getting your 20 Mbps. But the engineer really needs to fix up the outside stuff (if it's yours and if it's VM's).

Keep us posted.

Welshchris
01-02-2010, 12:31
Rapidshare is far from a valid speedtest, speeds during the day can be as low as 400k on there.