PDA

View Full Version : 50Mb upgrade woes

janipewter
29-01-2010, 16:18
Finally decided today I wouldn't mind 50meg...gave VM a call about upgrading. Thought it would be nice any easy, they add the extra £15/month or whatever the difference is to our bill and send me a self install modem kit and that's it...but no.

First of all I have to pay £30 for an engineer to come to my house and make some "modifications" to the box on the outside of the house. Then when I put the new modem in, I have to pay £20 to get it registered. Although I was told the extra monthly payment is only £8 rather than £15, which is pretty good.

So £50 to upgrade my service, which is going to cost more per month anyway, doesn't see very reasonable to me. So I'll be staying firmly with 20Mb for the mean time :mad:

Ignitionnet
29-01-2010, 16:22
This is both a new and interesting topic that has certainly never appeared in this forum before.

Those prices and the inability to self-install are mentioned on the website and there have been a number of threads on here about these particular issues.

My own opinion is that self-install should be an option but if you're surprised by it I guess you didn't read the website or this forum.

Peter_
29-01-2010, 16:58
As with the V+ Virgin can charge a installation price and due to the demand people pay it.

You do not fit the modem the engineer does.

RobboEdin
29-01-2010, 17:34
Finally decided today I wouldn't mind 50meg...gave VM a call about upgrading. Thought it would be nice any easy, they add the extra £15/month or whatever the difference is to our bill and send me a self install modem kit and that's it...but no.

First of all I have to pay £30 for an engineer to come to my house and make some "modifications" to the box on the outside of the house. Then when I put the new modem in, I have to pay £20 to get it registered. Although I was told the extra monthly payment is only £8 rather than £15, which is pretty good.

So £50 to upgrade my service, which is going to cost more per month anyway, doesn't see very reasonable to me. So I'll be staying firmly with 20Mb for the mean time :mad:

So....Let me see what you have said and let's consider the first year only.

You would be happy to pay £15 x 12 = £180 if the install was free but are not happy to pay a £50 install and then £8 per month = £146.

I make that a saving of £34 in the first year and then ongoing savings of £7 per month!

janipewter
30-01-2010, 02:17
I'd rather spread the cost over the year than pay a lump sum up front. I know they offered a modem self install for the 10->20Mb upgrade so why not For this?

Peter_
30-01-2010, 09:23
I'd rather spread the cost over the year than pay a lump sum up front. I know they offered a modem self install for the 10->20Mb upgrade so why not For this?
As per my previous post above, the is a demand as with the V+ and no one else offers either service, therefore the is a price to pay for installation.

You want the product you pay the requested price.

broadbandking
30-01-2010, 09:35
Its really not that bad considering VM are the only company to offer upto 50Mb broadband where are more than likely to get 50Mb all the time, even during peak times.

As Moldova said you have to pay the price if you want the service, just save the money over a couple of months then pay it in one lump sum, just the same as spreading the payment over a couple of months, once all the demand calms down about 50Mb they should offer a self install kit but the 50Mb is classed as a premium install, as the tech will install the modem, install the wireless router (if you want him to) set the levels and perform speed tests to make sure it is running at the correct speed, the install is alot more involved than the other tiers.

Trust me if you have the service you'll wonder why you never had it installed before.

bbxxl
30-01-2010, 10:13
While I was a bit annoyed at having to pay £50 up front it's not a lot of money (if you can afford an extra £15/month then I guess you're not on the dole) and for your £50 you do get a new modem, an 802.11n router and an 802.11n USB adapter. Unless you already have 802.11n you will need it if you want to use wireless.
You have the choice, pay and get 50Mb or don't pay and get 20Mb but if you were willing to pay an extra £15/month then just save up and in a little over 3 months you will have enough and then you will save £7/month.
But if you can't afford £50 should you really be committing to an extra £8/month?