PDA

View Full Version : Suitable Replacement 10v Power Adapter for VM Modem?

SimonWray
28-01-2010, 09:33
My AC Adapter went this morning, leaving a nasty smell, and I'm wondering what the suitable replacements are.

It's a 10v 1.2Amp 240v 140MAmp AC adapter, and it looks like I can pick up an exact replacement on eBay (OEM AD-101A2D).

However, I'm currently using a 9v adapter from a Pure DAB radio. So I'd rather pop to somewhere local like Maplin and pick up one quickly if possible, though they don't seem to have a 10v adapter.

Graham M
28-01-2010, 09:37
Why not just phone VM for a replacement... ?

Peter_
28-01-2010, 09:48
You call in and we replace the modem as well, using a 3rd party adaptor is in breach of the T&C's.

Call 151 from a Virgin phone or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone.

Ignitionnet
28-01-2010, 14:56
My AC Adapter went this morning, leaving a nasty smell, and I'm wondering what the suitable replacements are.

It's a 10v 1.2Amp 240v 140MAmp AC adapter, and it looks like I can pick up an exact replacement on eBay (OEM AD-101A2D).

However, I'm currently using a 9v adapter from a Pure DAB radio. So I'd rather pop to somewhere local like Maplin and pick up one quickly if possible, though they don't seem to have a 10v adapter.

Misbehaving AC adapters can cause a lot of problems both for yourself and others. Better to contact Virgin and get the 'genuine article' if for nothing else to cover your rear end if things go Pete Tong.

Kymmy
28-01-2010, 15:28
Misbehaving AC adapters can cause a lot of problems both for yourself and others. Better to contact Virgin and get the 'genuine article' if for nothing else to cover your rear end if things go Pete Tong.

Techy question...

Is the voltage of the PSU relevant to the upstream voltage of the unit?? Having a slight varying psu isn't gonna upset the ethernet or chipset voltage especially as in the 255 it's going through a 3.3v regulator..

Stuart
28-01-2010, 15:37
Techy question...

Is the voltage of the PSU relevant to the upstream voltage of the unit?? Having a slight varying psu isn't gonna upset the ethernet or chipset voltage especially as in the 255 it's going through a 3.3v regulator..

I think Broadbandings is more concerned that the power supply may cause the modem to interfere with the cable network. Which it might, if the power output varies enough.

There's also the concern that if you are found to be using a non-VM power supply and something dies in the future, the engineer might just blame that, replace the lot and charge for the service.

Kymmy
28-01-2010, 15:45
Which is why I labelled it as a techy question as I was interested in the cable voltage and whether it's fed from the direct DC voltage (which I doubt as it's an unregulated PSU) or from the only 3.3v regulator that I can see in this 255 that I've taken apart..

Ignitionnet
28-01-2010, 15:49
Techy question...

It's not the voltage that's on my mind it's any excessive EMI the PSU is pushing at the modem more. If a PSU is 'noisy' that noise can get into the RF transceiver on the modem and cause issues both on that modem and on the cable network.

Pauls9
28-01-2010, 15:56
It's not the voltage that's on my mind it's any excessive EMI the PSU is pushing at the modem more. If a PSU is 'noisy' that noise can get into the RF transceiver on the modem and cause issues both on that modem and on the cable network.And I'd guess there's a risk of overvoltage or poorly filtered spikes damaging components in the modem.

pabscars
28-01-2010, 15:59
Which is why I labelled it as a techy question as I was interested in the cable voltage and whether it's fed from the direct DC voltage (which I doubt as it's an unregulated PSU) or from the only 3.3v regulator that I can see in this 255 that I've taken apart..

A man after my own inquisitive heart :)

"If it aint broke" "pull it apart and modify it" :D:D

Kymmy
28-01-2010, 16:07
The supplied PSU is unregulated, so any spike will be mains side and not induced by the PSU itself. Apart from a small cap to smooth out the DC from the bridge the EMI will be exactly the same no matter which PSU is used.

Although I do not recommend using any PSU apart from the VM one and due to the fact that a replacement isn't chargable and easily available I just wondered given your original statement as an ex-component level repair tech whether a varying voltage would effect the cable transmissions ;)

---------- Post added at 15:02 ---------- Previous post was at 15:02 ----------

???? Whoever do you mean...can't be me...

---------- Post added at 15:07 ---------- Previous post was at 15:02 ----------

PS...the 255 I pulled apart (now back together) isn't the modem I'm running on :p:

Stuart
28-01-2010, 16:08

Erm, I believe you mean "woman". Kymmy is female.

Peter_
28-01-2010, 16:15
Did the OP call in and get a replacement modem as advised.

Kymmy
28-01-2010, 16:16
He's not been on since 9am so no idea

pabscars
28-01-2010, 16:22
Erm, I believe you mean "woman". Kymmy is female.

OOOps and for the second time this week "my bad", apologies Kymmy

If memory serves I think Ive made this mistake before :doh::doh:

Peter_
28-01-2010, 16:28
He's not been on since 9am so no idea
Probably sorted and a one time poster.:)