PDA

View Full Version : Bit of reassurance needed about a new modem...

dunstablesucks
27-01-2010, 12:14
Hi all,

Been with Virgin for years and never had a problem. Got home last night (LU4 area) and any browser I tried took me to the virgin broadband registration screen. Once I'd entered the details it wouldn't let me log on.

After talking to support she concluded that it was a faulty modem (it is an old NTL modem) and would send out a new one.

Has anyone else had this sudden random problem? Of course I'm hoping that the new modem will solve the problem but just wanted a little reassurance to see if anyone else had the same thing and a new modem solved it.

Thanks for any help.

Peter_
27-01-2010, 12:43
You are in the walleds garden and she should have clicked a link on our end to remove you and get you back online, if you ring now you will probably get back online by speaking to someone who can actually recognize the fault.

When the modem arrives just call in and it will be added to your account, but replacing it should not make any difference.

dunstablesucks
27-01-2010, 13:50
Sorry, but *whoosh* over my head

walleds garden

what does that mean?

And thanks for the answer - I'll try again later.

pip08456
27-01-2010, 14:06
In simple terms your are in a loop. It happened to me once.
You open your browser are asked to register the modem so yu do it. It tells you it's done so you try to go online. It asks you to register the modem etc etc.

CS can sort this out in seconds. It just needs a signal sent to your modem and it's done.

No doubt Moldova or somene more techy than me will give you the full SP but I would get onto CS again.

webcrawler2050
27-01-2010, 14:34
I believe if you are an ex NTL customer, it's a known bug.

Peter_
27-01-2010, 20:29
In simple terms your are in a loop. It happened to me once.
You open your browser are asked to register the modem so yu do it. It tells you it's done so you try to go online. It asks you to register the modem etc etc.

CS can sort this out in seconds. It just needs a signal sent to your modem and it's done.

No doubt Moldova or somene more techy than me will give you the full SP but I would get onto CS again.
The Walled Garden is the activation loop put in place by NTL and now incorporated across all platforms, it gives all new customers the opportunity to register for their email address and PC Guard.

All new modems now go into the Walled Garden by default and some just drop off the network and go into it as well.

You call Technical Support not customer services and we click a button and get you to reboot and all is sorted.

---------- Post added at 19:29 ---------- Previous post was at 19:28 ----------

I believe if you are an ex NTL customer, it's a known bug.
Also happens to Telewest customers as well now.

dunstablesucks
28-01-2010, 15:32
I phoned them this morning, tried to tell them what you're saying. The guy didn't really pay any attention to what I was saying and told me to wait for the new modem.

Boabyboy
28-01-2010, 16:21
Phone VM's TSC or Quickstart but preferably TSC again, if the current cable modem you have is going through to VM's activation screen when clicking on IE, etc. VM TSC, can remove your cable modem from the Wall Garden process, if the agent confirmed that you are removed from the Wall Garden, then reboot cable modem and clear your Internet history.

Once, you click on IE, you will probably taken to the IE start page, just click on the URL and try www. bbc.co.uk, the site should appear automatically. If you are still not getting the site, I would then check to see if your computer has a valid ip.