PDA

View Full Version : Dual router config

sallan2000
26-01-2010, 12:02
Hi,

I currently have XL BB, cable modem is installed in the bedroom and I use powerline adaptors to my router in the living room.

The problem with this is that my flat has think concrete walls, so coverage to bedrooms is non existant.

Could I have a router in the bedroom connected directly to cable modem and then run to another router via the powerline adaptor?

Would I set the bedroom router as dhcp server and router in living room as an access point only?

Just trying to get it sorted mentally prior to buying more kit!

Thanks

Stevie

Stuart
26-01-2010, 12:36
This is actually similar to my setup.

What you need to do is to connect one powerline adapter to a LAN socket on the Bedroom router. Then, disable the DHCP server on the other router, and connect it (via it's WAN) socket to the other Powerline adapter. So, yes, if done correctly, what you suggest does work. It's what I have done.

Sephiroth
26-01-2010, 16:37
As an alternative you could do what I did.

CM --> Router --> Powerline1 --> Powerline2 --> Switch --> several PCs

My Devolo Powerline2 is also a wireless access point. If you only want 1 PC to connect then you can ignore the switch and plug straight into Powerline2.

Stuart
26-01-2010, 17:50
Essentially, what you are doing when you disable DHCP on the second router is using it as a switch. It's just that standalone switches don't generally offer wireless access as well, where as home routers with DHCP disabled tend to.

Kymmy
26-01-2010, 17:53
Agree with the modem<>router<>powerline<>powerline<>switch<>PC setup, the 2nd router will be in effective a switch so if you havn't bought one don't waste your money unless of course you want wifi at that point then wither get a switch/wap or a router with dhcp/nat turned off