PDA

View Full Version : V+ and Sound bar problems

Skelly
24-01-2010, 20:32
I have recently moved over from SKY+ to Virgin +. A couple of issues which have me perplexed. I have a Samsung HT-X810T sound bar conected to the Scientific-Atlanta Explorer 8300DVB Virgin V+ box via an optical link. I have an HDMI cable from the sound bar to TV. The V+ Box is set to HDMI Overide ON. The problem is after about 30 -60 minutes the sound on the Samsung starts to break up and go silent for seconds at a time and return before breaking up again. I have tried everything I can possibly think of to rectify this. I've tried it without the optical link and using phono leads ......I've reverted back to scart , re booted unplugged reset everything. but the problem returns after a short time it's so frustrating. It did sort of work in a fashion by directly linking the optical cable from the sound bar into the TV but there was an obvious sync. problem with the sound and speech so I reverted back to the recommended way to link these appliances. Everything which worked fine previously with the SKY+ so what I am doing wrong ??

Does anyone else find the Scientific-Atlanta re booting and freezing alot, seems a bit too frequent for my liking.
Hope some can help . thanks

Digital Fanatic
25-01-2010, 11:34
I have recently moved over from SKY+ to Virgin +. A couple of issues which have me perplexed. I have a Samsung HT-X810T sound bar conected to the Scientific-Atlanta Explorer 8300DVB Virgin V+ box via an optical link. I have an HDMI cable from the sound bar to TV. The V+ Box is set to HDMI Overide ON. The problem is after about 30 -60 minutes the sound on the Samsung starts to break up and go silent for seconds at a time and return before breaking up again. I have tried everything I can possibly think of to rectify this. I've tried it without the optical link and using phono leads ......I've reverted back to scart , re booted unplugged reset everything. but the problem returns after a short time it's so frustrating. It did sort of work in a fashion by directly linking the optical cable from the sound bar into the TV but there was an obvious sync. problem with the sound and speech so I reverted back to the recommended way to link these appliances. Everything which worked fine previously with the SKY+ so what I am doing wrong ??

Does anyone else find the Scientific-Atlanta re booting and freezing alot, seems a bit too frequent for my liking.
Hope some can help . thanks

Hi & :welcome:

Is the picture freezing too on the V+? Sounds like it could be the box or signal level causing the issue rather than the set-up.

Can you go in to the Settings menu... HOME > 8 > 6 > and page down to the SNR values and post those readings please?

Skelly
25-01-2010, 14:50
Thanks for your prompt reply and suggestions.....The picture is not freezing at the same time the sound breaks and pretty much carries on uninterrupted. The readings you requested from SNR are 31.0db , 32.0db , 32.0db .
Something I might add which I may not have made clear is that the sound on the TV is not affected, it only breaks up through / via the sound bar.

Thanks again.

hedgie
25-01-2010, 16:58
Maybe a mod can move this to the V+ thread, I thought the installations thread was more for the VM cabling, not the user equipment.
************************************************** *************************************************

Not withstanding the lipsync problem, you state that the audio problem does not affect sound on the TV when connected to the V+. Sounds to me at least like the V+ is working:confused:

I know you mention that the setup worked with Sky+ but have you been able to test the soundbar with a different source? Maybe the soundbar has developed a coincident fault? Do you have another source you can test the soundbar with, a DVD player maybe ?

Lip sync problems with Tv's and Optical connection are not unknown. Sharp do a firmware upgrade for the LE700 series to provide the user with a timing control to calibrate the optical input.

Hope this helps diagnose the problem, then find a fix :)

Digital Fanatic
26-01-2010, 01:01
Thanks for your prompt reply and suggestions.....The picture is not freezing at the same time the sound breaks and pretty much carries on uninterrupted. The readings you requested from SNR are 31.0db , 32.0db , 32.0db .
Something I might add which I may not have made clear is that the sound on the TV is not affected, it only breaks up through / via the sound bar.

Thanks again.

ok, so not a signal issue as the SNR is spot on... the box rebooting itself is a little worrying though.. how often is it doing that?

As Hedgie suggests... is there any other source you can test the Sound Bar with?

hedgie
26-01-2010, 09:28
Thanks again.

So do you mean the sound on the TV breaks up when connected via the sound bar but not when the TV is connected to V+. Sounds to me like a cable fault, a possible fault with the cable sockets on the soundbar or dust in the optical port on the soundbar.

Hope this helps, this sort of thing drives me mad. :mad: :( :confused:

Juz
30-01-2010, 22:18
I've had my VM installation just over a week (BB, TV and Telephone) and my 8300 has been completely fault free. Good job really as this was one reason why I ditched Sky as my Thomson HD box was forever falling over.

I have mine connected to a Yamaha Soundbar in the same way and have had no trouble. Sounds like you have a coincidence fault as previously posted or your V+ box has an inherent fault when the freezing/rebooting issue is also taken into account.

Sounds like you need to get onto VM.