PDA

View Full Version : Saga of unresolved problems (Manchester)

tribalangel
23-01-2010, 23:28
I live in Manchester in the M14 area. I have been having problems with my 10Mb cable connection for months now since October. The complaint email I sent VM reflects the problems I have been having (sorry for how long it is):

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~:mad:

To whom it may concern,

I am writing to complain about the unacceptable level of service I have been getting in every aspect, and the lack of action by your staff to resolve it. I have been having problems with my broadband internet since the end of September. I have phoned up numerous times requesting something to be done with the technical fault and yet your staff seems unwilling, unsympathetic and sometimes even rude.

INTERNET CONNECTION PROBLEMS:
The problem with my internet itself is that everyday there are hours (sometimes the whole day) when I cannot connect to the internet, and half the time when it connects, it is at a crawling speed that it takes about 3 minutes to load up a normal webpage (with several time-outs in between). I now treasure the precious occasions when my internet is working as it should. Switching the modem on and off or any of the suggestions your staff have repeatedly asked me to carry out do not help at all. A few times they have tried to run a line test on my connection and found that 'something is blocking the line'.

CUSTOMER SERVICE PHONE SYSTEM PROBLEMS:
I have been phoning your customer service about the problem since as early as 12/10/2009 (problems started late September) and many times after that. The phone calls themselves are filled with problems. Sometimes the calls don't connect and I can't reach your customer service at all (during opening times). Sometimes in the call, I listen to and choose all the options on the automated menu for a few minutes, only to be disconnected from the call at the end before I can speak to anyone (I attempted to call up again several times on the same days, same thing happened). Once, after I went through all the options and waited in the queue to speak to someone, I was even told that I have been connected to the wrong department (even though I chose my options correctly) and that I needed to phone up and go through the whole process again because they could not put me through to the right department, due to a 'technical problem' with your system.

SERVICE UPDATE PROBLEMS:
Half the times I phoned up, your staff would tell me that there is a maintenance in the area and this was why I could not connect. They insisted on this even when I explained that I have phoned up previously about the same ongoing problem, and they did not have maintenance work back then. The so-called maintenance work they talked about, I could never find on the service status updates or maintenance updates on your website. So either your staff were mistaken (whether on purpose or not) or your company fails to maintain service updates.

CUSTOMER SERVICE/TECHNICIAN PROBLEMS:
So after all the denials that anything was wrong with my connection despite all the evidence pointing to it (the lack of maintenances in the area on occasions when I phoned up, the failed line tests when there is no maintenance, etc), I was finally scheduled an appointment with a technician at the end of November/Early December. However, the technical phoned me on the day and told me there was no point in him coming as the servers in my areas have been having problems and they were trying to fix it, and that even if he came to my home to check, he would only tell me the same thing anyway. He said that it should be fixed by the end of the week (it was not). Then when I finally managed to get another technician appointment on the 6th January, I phoned your customer service to confirm it due to severe weather conditions. Imagine my shock at the disgraceful quality of your company's service when I was told that my appointment has been automatically canceled due to a maintenance in the area, and that I could not reschedule another one due to that same maintenance. I was not contacted about this and I was still at home waiting for the technician to come. The customer service advisor refused to reschedule another appointment despite my explanation that I have had this problem for months regardless of whether there was a maintenance in the area at the time.

FAILURE TO UPDATE MY DETAILS:
From the very first time the technicians came to my home to install the broadband services in July, they had the wrong address. I have updated that same address on the phone no less than 4 times. Yet, when the technican tried to come at the end of November, he had to phone me up for directions because he had the same wrong address. I have stressed this problem with your customer service on numerous occasions and asked them to update it, which they assure me they have finally done it everytime. Yet when I phoned up on the 6th January, you still have the wrong address.

In conclusion, despite having been a loyal customer to Virgin Media at other addresses and under my parent's name, and having been a loyal advocate of your company for many years, recommending your services to others, since the problems started I have been utterly disappointed and disgusted with your service. I have now switched the service at my parents' house to one of your competitors, and actively advises everyone I know against using your services. I regret putting myself in a position where I cannot switch to another provider. In addition, your attempts to pacify my by crediting my account with amounts such as £5 do not solve anything or make me feel any better since it costs me nearly that much to phone your customer service from my mobile anyway.

Regardless of my already established disappointment and low expectations of your service, I am still expecting your company to resolve my technical fault. I am NOT getting the service that I am paying for every month.

Completely dissatisfied customer,

(my name)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After my email on the 6th, I finally got a call back on the 13th (nowhere near within the 3 days they say it would take to reply to complaints). They offered me compensation in the form of 2 months free TV service (to which I said I don't own a TV) and then they tried to offer me 6 months free line rental service (to which I said I don't own a landline - I am a student living in a rented flat). I asked if they could give me free service in broadband instead (the only thing relevant to me) and they said they didn't have any offers in that area. I said to them that they are not giving me 'offers' but compensation for their poor service, but the guy still wouldn't give me anything, and said he'll pass my details onto another department who could deal with that and that i will get a call back. All this while it seems like the guy hadnt even read my complaint letter, as everything he said was very vague and general.

Finally, on the 22th I get another call back regarding the complaint. The chap this time was much better, mentioning specific details from my letter and stating that my address has finally been changed. He then passed me onto the technical team who arranged an appointment with an engineer for me. When I mentioned the compensation they keep promising me, the technical department said that customer services could help me with that - and patched me through. I then found out that the customer services couldn't help me with that either, and said someone will call me back about it - and I'm still waiting for that call.

Meanwhile, this week i'm still having terrible connection problems:
16th - no connection at all for a few hours in late afternoon
17th - no connection for about 3 hours from 3:40pm
19th - no connection from 7:50pm - 10:09pm
20th - no connection from 7:45pm - 10:08, then again from 12:17am til the next day (i stayed awake til 5am, and still no connection then)
21th - slow service all evening and night
23th - slow service since late evening til right now

This is absolutely ridiculous, is anyone in my area having the same experience and frustration? (If you managed to get this far into my post, again I apologise for the length)

Sephiroth
24-01-2010, 00:06
You can search this forum on the term "Manchester" or "Withington" and you'll see who else is suffering. Withington is notorious and exactly as you describe.

Others have emailed the CEO of VM with their story and have managed to get things pushed forward.

Anyway, do the search and get back to us.

ultimate
24-01-2010, 20:27
I suggest you try the newsgroup, the people who answer you in the newsgroup are tech persons from Virgin and in the past I have found them very helpful and they can book you technicians to solve your problems.

tribalangel
24-01-2010, 21:29
I've got a technician appointment booked for tomorrow, and with a lot of luck, he might actually turn up this time (third time's the charm, right? :no:)

@Sephiroth:
Emailing is CEO is a great idea :p: will definitely do that if my problems are still not sorted. Thanks for that.

@ultimate
Where is this newsgroup you mentioned?

ultimate
25-01-2010, 18:18
You use Outlook express to set up the newsgroup:

http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/newsgroups/setting-up-outlook-express-exntl.php

Once you are set up, subscribe to virgin broadband support, when you make a posting or replying to a post, post to the "group"

spankysmagicpian
27-01-2010, 10:43
I'm in M32 and have started to suffer the same problems of late. I have been with Virgin (previously ntl of course) for 10 years now and I have had more outages in the last 2 weeks than I have had since I have been with them.

Although to admit, the speeds are still good (I'm on 20Mb) the pings have been awful for gaming and I have been getting increasingly long periods of no service. Most recently, last night - went off at just gone 9pm and still not back on this morning.

I am now at work and phoned them up - I got told that I have to be next to the modem for them to do some tests on it. I know damn well that I'll be asked to reboot it despite telling them that it's been re-booted nearly 10 times last night and twice this morning and still no sync.

Not happy.

I'll try the helpdesk again later.

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 ----------

BTW -

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 55
Downstream Frequency : 314750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 13.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.8 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 45800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 48.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

and a rather bizarre log

Wed Jan 27 10:22:40 2010 Wed Jan 27 10:22:40 2010 Critical (3)Started Unicast Maintenance Ranging - No Response received - ...
Wed Jan 27 09:41:43 2010 Wed Jan 27 09:41:43 2010 Information (7)The s/w filename specified in the config file is the same as ...
Wed Jan 27 09:41:43 2010 Wed Jan 27 09:41:43 2010 Information (7)A software upgrade filename was specified in the config file.
Wed Jan 27 09:41:43 2010 Wed Jan 27 09:41:43 2010 Information (7)Authorized
Wed Jan 27 09:41:42 2010 Wed Jan 27 09:41:42 2010 Information (7)Registration complete!
Wed Jan 27 09:41:42 2010 Wed Jan 27 09:41:42 2010 Information (7)We registered with a DOCSIS 1.1 config file!
Wed Jan 27 09:41:42 2010 Wed Jan 27 09:41:42 2010 Information (7)Received a REG-RSP message from the CMTS...
Wed Jan 27 09:41:42 2010 Wed Jan 27 09:41:42 2010 Information (7)Sending a REG-REQ to the CMTS...

Kymmy
27-01-2010, 10:48
TribalAngel - My commiserations in living in M14 ;)

Bluffdemon
27-01-2010, 14:23
I know how you feel mate i am in the M21 area and its been a nightmare since last november when i upgraded to the 50mb , although for the last 5 days its been running fine with great speeds, so just maybe they have or almost have fixed the major ubr problem in withington ( end of jan ) i was told , but ive had a stable and always on connection so something must have been done somewhere !

tribalangel
27-01-2010, 15:06
I did end up emailing the CEO in the end about my problems in M14. Someone phoned me about an hour after that, and said that to give it til the end of February for it to be fixed...

Sephiroth
27-01-2010, 15:15
I did end up emailing the CEO in the end about my problems in M14. Someone phoned me about an hour after that, and said that to give it til the end of February for it to be fixed...

That's in line with what the VM forum says.

Retrovertigo
27-01-2010, 16:42
While stability has certainly been better the few days, for me at least, this seems to have come at the expense of speed.

Sat here since 4pm catching up on downloading TV shows and am wavering between 10-20meg on a 50meg connection. Hardly stellar when they willy wave in BT's direction about having superfast speeds already in place.

haha - amazing, I lost my connection as soon as that was posted and had to reboot. I'm keeping quiet from now on :)