PDA

View Full Version : Slow connection

krysis
23-01-2010, 16:07
Hi guys, I'm new here, but lately I've been having a lot of problems with the speed.
I work for Sky, i'm actually in their CST dept, So I've a fair idea about adsl connections/ Stats. Cable however is slightly different, Frequencies/ power levels, Which I'm not 100% Sure on.

I'm on the 20mb Package but lately I've been getting extreme amounts of packet loss (Which I raised to VM, They agreed there was a fault and raised to it to their tier 2 team & I was told I would get a call back - Which never happened).

Past few days, browsing has got extremely slow, gaming has got horrendus and downloading anything is just WOFAL!
On speed tests I get 2-4mb at any time of the day.

My modem is only a few months old!

I don't do a lot of downloading, but I do game, But I don't think I would go over 1.5GB a day anyway.

I got on the phone to VM got annoyed doing the same stuff over and over again and asked to speak to someone higher up, so I spoke with a manager regarding this issue.
I was asking about this PAcket loss issue and if there was any updates, They said the issue was resolved and closed.
He said it was an SNR Issue - I asked what was wrong, he couldn't answer me.
He got me doing some MTR's - Seemed fine - Odd high ping on hops 5 or whatever.

He then said, theres an issue with the frequency to the modem.
I told him the modem was brand new, he said he would have to get an engineer out.
I don't think this engineer will be able to help at all.

Can someone look at these stats and tell me what is going on with them please?

Acquire a Downstream Channel 402750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 4
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.0 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 38.5 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 34000000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 41.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

moaningmags
23-01-2010, 17:32
If you're ex-NTL the frequency is fine.
If you're ex-Telewest then it is off frequency and needs fixing.

Your power levels are fine as is your SNR.

krysis
23-01-2010, 17:33
Just off the phone with VM again, They still can't tell me what the issue is.
I spoke to a "Senior Technician" Who told me that the engineer WILL resolve the issue.
I asked what the issue is most likely to be... He told me that the green box across the street has a bunch of "jumbled up cables" that are tied together during the winter, because it's cold outside... He then said it's possible that some of these cables are damaged because they have been jumbled up.

Now, I'm a little baffled as to why VM would wrap up their cables to keep them warm during the cold weather & Also Why I'm only getting problems now when 2 weeks ago it was -10 Degrees and I was getting 17mbps (Although, with packet loss).
Now I'm getting 2.3mbps, In warmer weather (about 5 degrees), with NO packet loss?

This does not make sence to me.
Can somone please enlighten me?

---------- Post added at 17:33 ---------- Previous post was at 17:33 ----------

If you're ex-NTL the frequency is fine.
If you're ex-Telewest then it is off frequency and needs fixing.

Your power levels are fine as is your SNR.

Ex-NTL & I knew my Signal to Noise Ratio was fine.
My mate (Used to work for VM) Said the power levels were also fine.

Do I actually need this engineer?

moaningmags
23-01-2010, 17:44
If you do 2 concurrent downloads from
http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/demos/?C=S;O=D
what transfer rate do you get?

e.g. 600kb/s on one file, open a 2nd file get 600 on each I'd be looking at something your end causing the problem.
Open the 2nd file and the 600 splits over the 2 files, I'd be speaking to 2nd line.

Ex-NTL means your frequency is fine, have they checked for issues with 2nd line?

Forgot to say, make sure you have the modem direct to your comp when testing, 2nd line won't touch it otherwise.

krysis
23-01-2010, 17:58
http://img522.imageshack.us/i/firstj.png/
http://img24.imageshack.us/i/bothc.png/

---------- Post added at 17:58 ---------- Previous post was at 17:56 ----------

Not very fast to be honest. The speeds fluctuate, both going from around 200kbps - 400kps.

Oh and There was an issue concerning Packet Loss raised to Tier 2, Which was closed with no Call back. When I spoke with the guy there not that long ago, he said the issue was closed because the issue wasn't resolved because an engineer needed to come out to look at... which I was not called to be informed about.

There is no difference with having the router connected or not having the router connected, I'm sick of removing it for them to test it.
It's not connected at the minute.

SpeedTest Still showing 2,3 - 5mbps.

moaningmags
23-01-2010, 18:06
Your download speed is almost halving when you open the 2nd file, as long as you are direct to the modem I'd be calling 2nd line for their advice.
They can login to your ubr to check for issues and test in real time, if they didn't see any issues at all they'd book a tech. Raising to tier 2 usually involves a callback to you from them.
Are you getting packet loss? What size packets are you sending and how many?

Do traceroutes show anything odd?

krysis
23-01-2010, 18:13
I asked to speak with their Level 2, but I was told No, then they put some idiot on the phone (Sorry).

The packet loss appears to be resolved, I think, Doing MTR's I don't seem to be getting anything, just lag spikes on the network equipment hops.
I've mentioned this to them and they ignored me, which is why I asked to speak with their Level 2.

The person I spoke with told me they can't see my line (Which I knew was a load of it).
They refuse to let me speak with their Tier 2 Dept to get the answers and resolution I need.

I've spoke to 2 Managers who have told me 2 completely different things, then this boob who tells me that jumbled cables in the cabnet in the street is the reason why i'm having slow speeds and that the engineers have been on Holiday, which is why it hasn't been fixed - I actually LOL'ed at that when he told me.

moaningmags
23-01-2010, 18:22
If you've had enough of trying on the phone, I can only suggest using the support newsgroups. They are manned by 2nd line agents.
The following link shows how to set them up
http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/newsgroups/setting-up-outlook-express-exntl.php
No username or password required.
The group you're looking for is virginmedia.support.broadband.cable
Subscribe to that, post your issue and you should have a reply within 4 hours.
Newsgroup support is manned 8am-10pm.

krysis
23-01-2010, 18:59
Thanks very much mate! :) I'll give it a go and see what Happens.

Thanks for the speedy replys also! Much appreciated.

---------- Post added at 18:59 ---------- Previous post was at 18:26 ----------

Unable to get the Newsgroups for some reason, saying that the server is not found? :|

moaningmags
23-01-2010, 19:11
news.virginmedia.com

You're welcome :)