PDA

View Full Version : Download Problems.

iConBOY
22-01-2010, 03:54
Hi there.

Right, I have a problem I don't know if it's my PC or my Virgin Media connection. the other night my connection died for around 15 minutes and then came back on so I thought nothing of it and just carried on as normal. Now, when I try to download certain programs like WINRAR 7-Zip etc.. I extract them and after it's been extracted I get an error saying the downloads are corrupted so I'm thinking that when my connection died the other night it's got something to do with that.

So, I did a clean install of my Windows XP to see if it was my PC and when I tried it again, it did the same thing with the same errors. I've ran programs to see if the hardware on my PC is faulty but it all passed, I ran a program to check my memory and plus other things but they all seem fine, so I was wondering if anybody can shed me some light because right now I have a PC with no protection on it whatsoever and need to resolve this matter.

Thanks for reading.

AbyssUnderground
22-01-2010, 14:14
Do a ping to BBC and see what packet loss to you get. This may answer the corruption problem.

In the mean time, what anti-virus do you want? I'll RAR it up and set a recovery record of 25%, so up to 25% of it can be damaged and it will still be repairable after download.

Sephiroth
22-01-2010, 15:39
Can you tell us more about your setup? Which service do you have and which router?

There's quite a bit of this going around and it hasn't been resolved.

Have a read of this: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/General-broadband-questions/New-to-VM-Corrupt-downloads-zip-rar-and-exe-files/td-p/5581

AndyCalling
22-01-2010, 23:11
There is a problem with the WGR 614 version nine router. It is known to corrupt downloads. The latest version of the netgear firmware for this router is supposed to correct this problem. Of course you would have to replace the virgin firmware to do this. Whenever I have suggested this in the past there have been criticisms, so I'll just say search these forums for my posts or google for the answer.

Of course, there could always be a different cause in this case. Still, this is a known file corruption issue and so I thought worth mentioning. Good luck.