PDA

View Full Version : New router detects a static ip?

ramzoid
21-01-2010, 22:54
hi - im tying (without success) to install a netgear rp614 wired router to a my ntl 250 modem.

during setup it detects a static ip connection & requests IP, Gateway IP, Subnet Mask & DNS settings.

i've tried the usual power off/on cycles.

any help on this appreciated - cheers.

Mr Smooth
21-01-2010, 23:00
Don't use auto set up, set it up yourself and use dynamic IP.

ramzoid
22-01-2010, 20:37
Don't use auto set up, set it up yourself and use dynamic IP.

many thanks - from router admin i set IP to dynamic, dns to automatic etc but still no internet.

anyone know if i could use actual ip/gateway settings from "ipconfig" if so where do i find VM's dns settings? - also i assume these settings would not upset my modem.

i've reset the router & power cycled as usual.

ramzoid
22-01-2010, 23:13
for those interested.
i finally got a connection after hours of torment by a "non standard" means.(i think)

during the procedure the pc was kept on but the modem & router were switched off.

both WAN & ethernet cables were disconnected from the router.

the modem was then switched on followed after 2 mins by the router.

the ethernet cable was then connected to the router followed after 1 min by the WAN cable - a miracle - green internet light & connection - don't ask me why??

Milambar
22-01-2010, 23:18
for those interested.
i finally got a connection after hours of torment by a "non standard" means.(i think)

during the procedure the pc was kept on but the modem & router were switched off.

both WAN & ethernet cables were disconnected from the router.

the modem was then switched on followed after 2 mins by the router.

the ethernet cable was then connected to the router followed after 1 min by the WAN cable - a miracle - green internet light & connection - don't ask me why??

Actually, I think that is the standard method. Turn on modem, allow it to stablize before connecting/turning the router on.

You will also have to repeat this procedure if you ever change the router, or connect the PC directly to the modem. You cannot just swap them round. That is:

Turn off modem, and router and/or PC. Wait for at least 30 seconds.
Turn modem on. Wait for the lights to stablize.
Turn on router/PC.

Doing it in any other order, from experience, means you don't get a connection.

ramzoid
22-01-2010, 23:36
Actually, I think that is the standard method. Turn on modem, allow it to stablize before connecting/turning the router on.

You will also have to repeat this procedure if you ever change the router, or connect the PC directly to the modem. You cannot just swap them round. That is:

Turn off modem, and router and/or PC. Wait for at least 30 seconds.
Turn modem on. Wait for the lights to stablize.
Turn on router/PC.

Doing it in any other order, from experience, means you don't get a connection.

is it not "standard" to have the cables all conected during router setup & power cycle??