PDA

View Full Version : sudden speed loss

mark ilford
19-01-2010, 21:04
hi guys and girls, i have a problem i hope you can help with. i have virgin 50meg and the connection use to get approx 47-48meg wirelessly everytime then our modem broke which i didnt realise until i tried setting router to b&g mode only. since then we have had a new modem and broadband works again but wirelessly i only get about 16meg but if i use ethernet i get 47-48meg again. Looking at wirekess card info it says connected at 54Mbps but isn't that b&g speed and not n-wireless speed? Any ideas? Forgot to mention that i set the router to 'up to 300Mbps' again

Sephiroth
19-01-2010, 21:53
There's a lot of variables in all that. The wireless card = n; the router = n; presumably that's a single PC only using the internet when you try your speed.

Is your router dual band, in which case you could switch to 5 MHz and avoid wireless contention in your surroundings.

The modem, of course, isn't a factor. And which router is it?

mark ilford
29-01-2010, 13:55
its a netgear wnr2000 supplied by virgin and only my laptop connected (acer 6935g) i have a feeling its something to do with either laptop or router settings but cant work out what as all settings look correct

Sephiroth
29-01-2010, 15:43
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33660862-wirless-setup-50mb-router-slows-down-page-3.html#

Have a look at this discussion. It also has pointers to other learned stuff about the settings in you Intel 5xxx network card on the Acer. I don't know why/if your laptop settings have changed, whether they changed on a driver update or what. But it's worth looking at.