PDA

View Full Version : which colours for virgin master socket?

david419
18-01-2010, 20:33
hi, i am a new virgin media customer, ny broadband and tv have bothe been activated today, but my landline has not.

i had a look in my master socket just incase its the wiring my end and i have 4 wires in there, there is 2 orange and white and 2 blue and white, i have the orange and white wires on the a and b terminals,

after looking online i see a lot of people are using the blue and white and not the orange.

can anyone confirm this?

sparky621
19-01-2010, 14:21
Hi David,
My advice is DO NOT touch the incoming wiring in your master socket. If anything goes wrong you will be liable. As for the wiring colours, it all depends what the installer felt like using really. Better to give faults a call (obviously a mobile phone, friend or family required) or, as your internet is OK try the help forum: http://community.virginmedia.com/
Sparky

bopsgtir
22-01-2010, 21:42
A phone line is only 2 wires, the first pair a tech should use is the blues then if they are damaged or in use, you then use the oranges.

calmpitbull
29-01-2010, 20:17
If a pair of wires (either blues or oranges) is connected to the master socket then 99.99% chance that the fault is elsewhere in the network so no point messing with it. Just call VM and report the fault.

If your install was raised as a self installed (i.e no engineer visit to install it) then the phone is probably not connected through to you outside in which case you need a tech.

PS Just for info white/blue is pair 1 and white/orange is pair 2 in the cable. The colour code continues on in larger cables (ie. 100 pair)