PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media DNS issues

KTroopA
18-01-2010, 17:38
hey all

i managed to get my connection working, but it seems that my router does no longer like the vm DNS servers. I changed to open DNS and now my PC and wifi laptop connect fine, but its my xbox 360 that is having issues. my question is, does anyone know of changes vm are doing on the DNS front, and how can i get my xbox to connect to LIVE. it just keeps saying MTU is value is too low and must be minimum 1436. Incidentally i can see not where to set this in my router - Belkin N1 Vision, which until 12pm Sunday has performed flawlessy for ages. Time for a new router then?

If someone can advise my on how to get the xbox working would be most grateful.

:)

Sephiroth
18-01-2010, 20:14
Because you've (no doubt) selected "Dynamic IP", no MTU setting is offered and it is automatically set to 1500.

In the WAN section of the router setup, you'd want to have "Automatic from ISP" selected.

In the LAN section, "DHCP Server ON" is required.

On the XBOX question - I'm not an expert. I'd do the Indian rope trick of powering everything (router/modem) off for two minutes having removed the Open DNS settings in the router.

The other thing ytou can try is to set a proxy iN your PC LAN settings via webcache.virginmedia.com (I think that's it). If that won't get you through, there's stacks of Google stuff under "xbox live dns settings".

KTroopA
18-01-2010, 20:55
Because you've (no doubt) selected "Dynamic IP", no MTU setting is offered and it is automatically set to 1500.

In the WAN section of the router setup, you'd want to have "Automatic from ISP" selected.

In the LAN section, "DHCP Server ON" is required.

On the XBOX question - I'm not an expert. I'd do the Indian rope trick of powering everything (router/modem) off for two minutes having removed the Open DNS settings in the router.

The other thing ytou can try is to set a proxy iN your PC LAN settings via webcache.virginmedia.com (I think that's it). If that won't get you through, there's stacks of Google stuff under "xbox live dns settings".

yep ive set mine to auto. i just did a firmware update (1st ever) and its fixed xbox live lol. the thing is everything ok works as long as i use open dns. if i stick vm dns details wifi dies, and xbox has partial content on the dsahsboard. ive ordered a new router to say the least :D

thx dude once again :)