PDA

View Full Version : 20M - Are these power levels alright?

AndyCalling
17-01-2010, 23:56
Hi. My essential measurements are as follows. Are my power levels, downstream in particular, rather high? I'm trying to make sense of all this cable modem stuff and this power level thing is a bit confusing.

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 5
Downstream Frequency : 330750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 11.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 40.1 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 48.5 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

moaningmags
18-01-2010, 00:00
NTL or Telewest?

NTL - the downstream frequency is fine, for ex-TW it's off frequency.

AndyCalling
18-01-2010, 00:02
NTL I believe (billing area 20, no clid on the phone line, bah...). The downstream power levels look OK to you or too high?

Welshchris
18-01-2010, 03:18
Andy it depends, im in ex NTL area and my downstream was almost 7 dBmv and started causing issues and a tech came out and give me a 6dB forward path attenuator and sorted the issue.

AndyCalling
19-01-2010, 13:32
Andy it depends, im in ex NTL area and my downstream was almost 7 dBmv and started causing issues and a tech came out and give me a 6dB forward path attenuator and sorted the issue.

Hmm. I'm not seeing any issues, it just concerns me that everyone else seems to have much lower downstream power levels than me and they need to attenuate before they get anywhere near my power levels. Like yourself Welsh.

Does anyone out there have similar power levels to me without issue?

Welshchris
19-01-2010, 14:27
Andy if its not broke dont try and fix it lol.

Ignitionnet
19-01-2010, 14:56
NTL I believe (billing area 20, no clid on the phone line, bah...). The downstream power levels look OK to you or too high?

I believe Rik's power levels are pretty high and he's perfectly happy with his service. Mine are nearly as high as yours, they hit 10 at times and all works well.

The main thing is if analogue has been switched off or not in the area, if it has power levels into the modem can be higher as there's no high powered analogue video carriers needing to be screened out.