PDA

View Full Version : Slow Torrent Downloads

DJAudioFreak
17-01-2010, 12:17
Hi There,

I've just moved from Sky to Virgin Media as Sky use to capp all my downloads making it impossible to use. Since moving to VM my bit torrents can only gain a maximum speed of about 10k with a top speed of 30k when I left it on last night.

I've been using bit torrents for the last 2 years so know my way around abit but I just can't seem to get the download speed past 10k. The upload seems to be working fine and is running at up to 40 - 50k when seeding unlimited.

All my ports are open and working and I've tried using the encrypted protol to hide the connection but nothing seems to be working. I've check through all my router setting (Netgear DG834G v5) and even updated the firmware yet it still continues to run slow.

I changed my bit torrent client from uTorrent to Vuse which resulted in a gain in speed to 124k for a short while but now is back down to a limited 10k. The torrent i'm connecting to for testing I downloaded the week before at over 100k so I know it's good and it now has more seeders than it did then. Out of the 1600 in the swarm I only seem to be connecting to about 30 people...

I can download at over 500k through I.E and have no trouble running games and browsing so I'm really stumped on what to do next, so if there is anyone who has had this problem or can help that would be greatly appreciated?

AbyssUnderground
17-01-2010, 13:31
Set the max global connections to 500 and max per torrent to 250.
Set the encryption to Enabled (not forced).
Disable uPnP and forward the port yourself and make sure your LAN IP is static or the port forward rule will become invalid.
Set your upload speed to 20KB/s maximum if on 10Mbps.
Set your upload speed to 40KB/s maximum if on 20Mbps.
Set your upload speed to 80KB/s maximum if on 50Mbps.
Make sure your torrent has plenty of seeds and peers. Remember torrents with no or few seeds will probably be much slower than one with more.

martyh
17-01-2010, 13:33
i regularly get speeds in excess of 1Mbps so you can discount virgins network as your problem .what connection speed are you on ?

DJAudioFreak
17-01-2010, 16:27
i regularly get speeds in excess of 1Mbps so you can discount virgins network as your problem .what connection speed are you on ?

I have been a VM customer for many years until I moved recently so didn't think it would be.

I have 8mb ADSL broadband with a netgear router which I thought my have been causing the problems

martyh
17-01-2010, 16:37
I have been a VM customer for many years until I moved recently so didn't think it would be.

I have 8mb ADSL broadband with a netgear router which I thought my have been causing the problems

to be honest on that connection i wouldn't be expecting much more than what you're getting

DJAudioFreak
17-01-2010, 16:43
I do as I'm next to the exchange so get an almost 8mb connection hehe

Thanks for all the advice but after playing with the router and torrent client software I've managed to some how get it back up to 500K and all seems to be working fine now.

martyh
17-01-2010, 16:46
I do as I'm next to the exchange so get an almost 8mb connection hehe

Thanks for all the advice but after playing with the router and torrent client software I've managed to some how get it back up to 100K and all seems to be working fine now.

that sounds better,close to what i used to get on similar connection

Chris
17-01-2010, 16:47
[/B]

to be honest on that connection i wouldn't be expecting much more than what you're getting

Err, no, I have regularly maxed out my Virgin ADSL whilst using Vuze. I'm on a very long line and get 2.5 meg out of their 'up to 8 meg' package.

martyh
17-01-2010, 16:53
Err, no, I have regularly maxed out my Virgin ADSL whilst using Vuze. I'm on a very long line and get 2.5 meg out of their 'up to 8 meg' package.

it may be my settings then ,i use utorrent with a 50 meg connection and on peer to peer get between 1 and 2 Mbps

DJAudioFreak
17-01-2010, 16:53

I think I will carry on tweaking then whoop if that's the case....

Is Vuse any good?

I use uTorrent at the moment which seems a pretty good client but I'm not sure which the best is

Chris
17-01-2010, 17:00
I fiddled about with it for a few months mainly because I was curious about how Torrents work. I didn't get as far as comparing clients though. Vuze seemed to be quite comprehensive though, with lots of things to tweak if you know how to tweak them. The only thing I'd say to be careful of is to ensure you choose the classic UI, because the default one seems designed to push their own content at you.

roughbeast
20-01-2010, 21:18
I think I will carry on tweaking then whoop if that's the case....

Is Vuse any good?

I use uTorrent at the moment which seems a pretty good client but I'm not sure which the best is

I have used Vuze from the days when it was called Azureus. I have always found it very transparent with an option to set your complexity of tweakablility to beginner, intermediate and expert. eg. You can set upload / download to max on a timer. They have recently closed their 'friends' network though. This is a shame but understandable because it was probably too much of a good thing. :angel:

If I have ever had slow downloads or uploads it has usually been due to listening port problems. You can test and alter your listening port through HELP. I have always ensured that my PC firewall and router port forwarding are set appropriately. This should solve any NAT problems. Do note that if your listening port is not right you can still download and upload but only slowly. You get :( and :dozey: instead of :D

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/01/47.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Note my VM upload speed. :cool: I feel sooo smug.

Ignitionnet
20-01-2010, 21:37

VM ADSL is traffic shaped by protocol, Bittorrent being one of those that gets shaped, downstream only.

---------- Post added at 21:37 ---------- Previous post was at 21:35 ----------

Note my VM upload speed. :cool: I feel sooo smug.

Yes well my cable upload speed is presently zero, same as my download. :D

roughbeast
20-01-2010, 22:24
---------- Post added at 21:37 ---------- Previous post was at 21:35 ----------

Yes well my cable upload speed is presently zero, same as my download. :D

Now I feel even smugger! :sorry: