PDA

View Full Version : 50meg capping

juggalo
16-01-2010, 16:39
Hiya all im on 20meg virgin atm going to be upgraded to 50meg speed on 21st jan. is there any settings to cap peoples bandwidth in my household? i have 4 computers connected to my internet, 2 wired and 2 wireless, plus a wired xbox360 wireless playstation 3, 2 nintendo wii's and a dsi, my kids do alot of watching videos on youtube and using webcams which lags me out while playing games, can i cap there computers to lets say example download speed 5 meg and upload speeds of 40KB/s? is it possible to do it with the new router im getting, or do i have to download/buy software for it?
Im running windows 7 64 my kids are running xp64 and 32 bit versions of windows.

Ignitionnet
16-01-2010, 18:39
The free router cant do that I'm afraid, you'd need extra hardware.

juggalo
16-01-2010, 19:43
cheers any ideas?

Sephiroth
16-01-2010, 20:13
Draytek 2930 or Buffalo kit will do it + many others. If the kids are young, you won't have to worry about any of them hitting the factory reset button on the router! LOL.

juggalo
17-01-2010, 00:45
software?

Sephiroth
17-01-2010, 00:50
Not sure what you're asking. But the higher end routers have a QoS section that allows you to allocate bandwidth to IP addresses. They also allow you to fix the IP address of each device connected to the router.

zing_deleted
17-01-2010, 01:03
http://www.netlimiter.com/

this can do it locally on the pcs but not on the consoles. But if the kids are savvy they will jusy turn it off. For it to work on the computers you would have to make threats that if they change it they lose net access

juggalo
17-01-2010, 13:08
Not sure what you're asking. But the higher end routers have a QoS section that allows you to allocate bandwidth to IP addresses. They also allow you to fix the IP address of each device connected to the router.

So what you are saying is that the router i will be getting has a Qos that can restrict bandwidth to each ip?

Sephiroth
17-01-2010, 13:59
BBings in post #2 says that the free router doesn't have these functions. I'm suggesting you buy a higher end router and keep the VM router as a hopefully not to be used backup.

juggalo
17-01-2010, 15:00
Thats the point atm ive got a Belkin N1 vision router thats gone up the spout, didnt want to spend another £90 or so on another one thats why im going for the upgrade to get the free router, if that makes any sense.

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

looks like net limiter software for me then.

martyh
17-01-2010, 15:27
Thats the point atm ive got a Belkin N1 vision router thats gone up the spout, didnt want to spend another £90 or so on another one thats why im going for the upgrade to get the free router, if that makes any sense.

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 15:00 ----------

looks like net limiter software for me then.

just to let the belkin n1 vision has a lifetime guarrantee so it can be changed

juggalo
20-01-2010, 09:03
cool thanks, they must of known it to be faulty then to give it that for the price you pay for it.

juggalo
21-01-2010, 18:38
Just got my 50meg upgrade and boy its flying.

ileikcaek
22-01-2010, 18:28
The router supplied by VM the DIR-615 h/w version D2... we got it from them today as compensation for bad service... It has QoS functionality although I have no need to try it if it actually works, it's there though!

QoS doesn't allow you to set specific IP's on this router though, but it does prioritize gaming traffic.

philwhite100
23-01-2010, 00:28
Hi juggalo, the 50meg is cool, i just downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers which is a 150meg file and it came through at a rate of 6MB/sec so i'm well impressed

ZrByte
23-01-2010, 07:55
Would net limiting really do you any good? I find when using p2p I can have one download going at 2.0MB/s and an upload going at about 60KB/s which is close to the limit on 20mb and I can still get reasonable pings etc. However, if I had 3 running at 1.0MB/s combined and an upload slot each of 10KB/s my connection will become saturated and useless for anything but browsing or more p2p downloads.

juggalo
23-01-2010, 14:29
I have 4 pc's and a few game consoles on my net, and if my kids are uploading stuff to websites"facebook" etc like pictures and using webcams, it causes major lag while trying to game online. last night my ping was going up to nearly 500ms for several minutes while the kids where using there stuff. so if i can cap there upload speed and download speed then it would be better for all of us.
They dont get earache and i dont get a sore throat. cough cough!

ZrByte
23-01-2010, 16:24
I have 4 pc's and a few game consoles on my net, and if my kids are uploading stuff to websites"facebook" etc like pictures and using webcams, it causes major lag while trying to game online. last night my ping was going up to nearly 500ms for several minutes while the kids where using there stuff. so if i can cap there upload speed and download speed then it would be better for all of us.
They dont get earache and i dont get a sore throat. cough cough!

I get what you are saying but what I was trying to point out was connection saturation is much more of a problem than upload bandwidth and there is little or nothing you can do about that other than disconnecting them completely while you game. Basicly you could limit them all to 1KB/s up & down and while they are online web browsing etc would improve for you, unfortunatley gaming would be as bad as ever.