PDA

View Full Version : Who owns the modem and router

Casbar
13-01-2010, 11:39
My son has virgin broadband in his student digs, he signed up for a year, which finishes in Sept. He will be moving out in June/July, as the house is being rented out to new students for the next year.

So, does he own the modem and router, ie can he take it with him? If he cancels the service in June, I presume he will still have to pay a monthly rental until the end of the 12 month contract, if so, will he be able to switch off the broadband, so the house doesn't have free broadband at his expense

Cheers, Rob

Kymmy
13-01-2010, 11:42
If he cancels then he'll pay a minimum amount per service (I think £10) per month upto a maximum (I think £120), the connection will be turned off at that point.

The modem will always belong to VM, best for him to provide an alternative address in case they ever do want it back (doubt if they will but they will always retain ownership), the router I believed is owned by him (though someone will confirm)

Fingy
13-01-2010, 12:12
They now will be wanting the modem back, all equipment (except possibly analogue stbs) is being returned.

Think the router is yours?

Peter_
13-01-2010, 12:27
The router is classed as being leased and at all times stays the property of Virginmedia, which is why we support it.

But it is unlikely they will request its return.

Casbar
13-01-2010, 12:32
thanks, guys, when he finishes, he can tell them the router is with me, I'm a virgin media customer, so they can pick it up from my place if they want it

Fingy
13-01-2010, 12:51
They will arrange to send out a freepost jiffy bag to have any necessary equipment returned.

Casbar
13-01-2010, 13:06
Thanks

69kimbo
13-01-2010, 23:07
The router is classed as being leased and at all times stays the property of Virginmedia, which is why we support it.

Oh really. I was told this wasn't the case when I spoke to someone on the phone and also through VM newsgroup...

My router broke (hardware malfunction) and both parties told me despite the fact the router was supplied by them, they were unable to repair/replace the item and it was down to me to buy myself a new router, which I did after being told it by both of those...

Granted, this was because i had owned it for longer than two years. However, does that therefore mean after having the router for longer than two years you technically stop "leasing" the router, and it becomes owned as VM no longer take responsibility for malfunction of the product after that point?

Peter_
14-01-2010, 05:28
Oh really. I was told this wasn't the case when I spoke to someone on the phone and also through VM newsgroup...

My router broke (hardware malfunction) and both parties told me despite the fact the router was supplied by them, they were unable to repair/replace the item and it was down to me to buy myself a new router, which I did after being told it by both of those...

Granted, this was because i had owned it for longer than two years. However, does that therefore mean after having the router for longer than two years you technically stop "leasing" the router, and it becomes owned as VM no longer take responsibility for malfunction of the product after that point?

Router information about router remaining Virgin property

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/broadband/wireless.html

Free wireless router offer for L and XL: Wireless enabled equipment required. Available to all new Broadband customers taking our Size: L and Size: XL Broadband services (subject to status and credit checks). Wireless router for XXL: Wireless router and adaptor are included your package. Equipment remains property of Virgin Media.

After 2 years it is no longer covered by the warranty so you would not get a replacement.

Kymmy
14-01-2010, 09:07
How can they keep ownership of an item (hence it's part of the package) but not offer a replacement even after 2 years??

haydnwalker
14-01-2010, 09:17
How can they keep ownership of an item (hence it's part of the package) but not offer a replacement even after 2 years??

Just thought the same thing myself.... its not up to the customer to replace equipment that doesn't belong to them surely?

looselipsuk
15-01-2010, 10:33
Amazing how when a question is asked that does not fit into a VM pigeon hole we are deafened by the silence that follows.

Kymmy
15-01-2010, 10:37
Just thought the same thing myself.... its not up to the customer to replace equipment that doesn't belong to them surely?

The only way I can think of is that the router (and replaceability) is a bonus to the original contract with the replaceability expiring after the 2 years.

Does make you wonder as they could quite easily use a replacement as a new contract for a year ;)

Peter_
15-01-2010, 10:38

They add this on to the bottom of the same link which I provided above.
The wireless router has been designed for use with Virgin Media's Broadband service and includes a 2-year service warranty (for wireless router, wireless USB adapter and wireless laptop card) but this is dependent on you remaining a Virgin Media Broadband customer and using the Broadband and wireless equipment that we provide to you and recommend you use during that 2-year period. Other wireless adapters of appropriate standard may work with our wireless router but we cannot offer support for or guarantee compatibility of this equipment.

Kymmy
15-01-2010, 10:46
Which turns your original answers on its head because if you read the paragraph that you just posted there is nothing about ownership, just that the warranty on the item is dependant on the member staying in contract for two years.

I'll ask again why does an item need a warranty when it does not belonging to yourself, shouldn't be the owners be responsible for replacing/servicing the item as long as you stay in contract?? They do that for the cable modem...

looselipsuk
15-01-2010, 10:47
Still find it strange that they will service it for 2 years, and no longer, but still say it belongs to them after that period. That means if it goes wrong the customer has to replace it then 'ask' VM if they can please dispose of it as they do not own it.

Peter_
15-01-2010, 15:21
Still find it strange that they will service it for 2 years, and no longer, but still say it belongs to them after that period. That means if it goes wrong the customer has to replace it then 'ask' VM if they can please dispose of it as they do not own it.
After 2 years it will no longer show on the account but prior to that it does, so after 2 years it is no longer covered by the warranty.

Kymmy
15-01-2010, 15:32
So what you're saying in an official sense is that there's no records of it after two years so VM there for have no proof that it's their router anymore. So in a legal aspect ownership passes onto the customer??

looselipsuk
15-01-2010, 15:44
Think we are posing a conundrum that needs a definitive answer.
Sounds like VM own it for 2 years then it 'must' become yours if they then have no record of it.

joglynne
15-01-2010, 16:28
I wonder whether the 2nd line techs on the newsgroups would give a written answer to this question that could be treated as an official VM response?

frazzeld
15-01-2010, 18:16
Notice the part where is states "Free Wireless Router offer"

Free wireless router offer for L and XL: Wireless enabled equipment required. Available to all new Broadband customers taking our Size: L and Size: XL Broadband services (subject to status and credit checks). Wireless router for XXL: Wireless router and adaptor are included your package. Equipment remains property of Virgin Media.

loophole if you pay £40 with the upgrade?

looselipsuk
15-01-2010, 18:58
Does not answer the question as to what happens if it breaks after the 2 years and what to do with it if it does break.
If it remains the property of VM then they should maintain it.

Peter_
15-01-2010, 19:07
It remains Virgins property and is listed on the account to enable it to be covered by the warranty period of 2 years which includes technical support.

Aand then once it is removed from the account and it breaks you either replace it yourself or purchase another one from them.

This does also cover any USB adaptors or PCMIA cards as well.

All 3rd party routers and adaptors are unsupported by Virgin.

looselipsuk
15-01-2010, 21:43
It remains Virgins property and is listed on the account to enable it to be covered by the warranty period of 2 years which includes technical support.

Aand then once it is removed from the account and it breaks you either replace it yourself or purchase another one from them.

This does also cover any USB adaptors or PCMIA cards as well.

All 3rd party routers and adaptors are unsupported by Virgin.

So after the two years it becomes your property to do with what you want then?

Peter_
15-01-2010, 22:19
So after the two years it becomes your property to do with what you want then?
It is no longer covered by the warranty, I personally would replace a router after 2 years anyway but that is me.

looselipsuk
15-01-2010, 22:23
It is no longer covered by the warranty, I personally would replace a router after 2 years anyway but that is me.

Thank you for the reply but still does not answer the question as to who owns the router after the 2 year warranty has expired.

Peter_
15-01-2010, 22:26
Thank you for the reply but still does not answer the question as to who owns the router after the 2 year warranty has expired.
I know it is a rather grey area as the official posting I supplied further up the thread does not help by saying it stays the property at all times but after 2 years it is no longer covered by the warranty.

As Joglynne said in an earlier post try asking on the Newsgroups for clarification, as I can only give what is on the website.

looselipsuk
15-01-2010, 22:41
Thank you again for taking the time to respond and it is welcome.
Certainly appears to be something that VM have not thought about when they started supplying routers as to the issue of who owns it after the 2 year warranty has expired. May well be an idea to ask in the Newsgroups as perhaps it is something that needs to be clarified on the VM website.