PDA

View Full Version : Internet sharing ideas in the home

Greyze
11-01-2010, 19:19
Hey all.

I'm having an issue in my student house, where 1 person constantly downloads stuff and hes quite greedy when it comes to sharing the net. He seems to throttle the internet with whatever he does on his laptop, slowing 3 other people in the house down to having average server pings of 500-800 or making websites take a minute plus to load.

All I need to know is if there is any methods you may know to reduce the bandwidth this wireless laptop recieves?

We are on the DIR-615 Wireless N router from VM, QOS is enabled and seems to do bugger all.

I'm sure there must be a technical solution to reduce that persons bandwidth without some massive argument breaking out, I know how to reduce his speeds if I set up his laptop to do that, but he has his room locked 100% of the time :(

I would strongly appeciate quick responses as this house is getting a little hectic,

frazzeld
11-01-2010, 19:35
Change the encryption key....and then have a proper grown up conversation about sharing and not being such a selfish flatmate....if he is unwilling either kick him off the network completely or let him stand the full bill

Greyze
11-01-2010, 19:42
Yeah well, I know it will eventually resort to that, it would be nice if somone had a technical solution though.. I figured routers would actually have bandwidth sharing anyway.. its especially anoying that the QOS doesn't work too :(

Milambar
12-01-2010, 00:20
Install a Linux based PC, acting as a router, and set up some packet shaping rules, and your own version of STM for him?

Maggy
12-01-2010, 00:24
If He won't change his behaviour..just sort out your own connection and pay individually.

Greyze
12-01-2010, 00:34
Install a Linux based PC, acting as a router, and set up some packet shaping rules, and your own version of STM for him?

Nah that ones very drastic, nice tip though!

I thought I was missing something obvious.. but it appears that it really is that difficult to "properly" share internet for a home user.

hopester
12-01-2010, 11:25
The Dlink 615 version D2 is supported under dd-wrt. Install it and set his mac address to bulk in the QOS.

Greyze
12-01-2010, 12:12
That feature looks very promising, but I thought you weren't allowed to install custom firmware on the VM routers because its locked or something? is there a chance of it bricking my router?

If you can, can you give me as much simple information as possible about this method? I would like to know more about it in general aswell, thanks!

hopester
12-01-2010, 12:34
I'll pm you some details as this is not the networking forum. It would be very very hard to brick the router as it has a firmware recovery mode.