PDA

View Full Version : VM Wifi access point/modem

roki
09-01-2010, 15:23
Hi

New to this and new to this technology stuff.

NEED HELP

I have virgin cable into the house that provides the broadband signal for my desktop PC ( ie cable into the house , this is then connected to virgin cable MODEM - which in turn is connected to my desk top PC ) This then gives me the internet access.

HELP BIT NOW
I have 2 laptop in the house.

I now want to be able to pick up the internet etc.. on my laptop via Wifi signal

Can anybody pls tell me what box I need to purchase.

I have read number of threads where they are talking abt buying
DI524 or netgear WGR614 etc..

Do i need to purchase a wifi access point which i would connect onto the cable modem and then onto my PC

or do i buy a new box alltogether that replaces the cable modem ?

Can anybody pls tell me what i need to do and what box I should go out and purchase that will allow me to obtain wifi signal on my laptop

Any recommerndation will be a real help.

Thanks

Roki

Stuart
09-01-2010, 15:35
You need a Wifi router (*not* a plain access point). Any one should do (but not an ADSL router. If you are not sure, our best option may be to buy the router from Virgin..

Peter_
09-01-2010, 15:50
You can call Virgin and purchase a Netgear WGR614 G router for £40 or a D Link DIR615 N router for £50 with full support from Virgin on 150 from a Virgin phone line or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone.

Or you can purchase any of the routers in this link from PC World click HERE. (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0325130666.126304854 2@@@@&BV_EngineID=cceiadejfikhdedcflgceggdhhmdfog.0&page=ProductList&category_oid=-28361&show_all=true)

roki
09-01-2010, 16:06
Thanks Stuart and Moldova

So once i purchase the Wifi router, do I still keep the cable modem that i already have in the house.

ie will my connection be :

Cable modem to Wifi router
Wifi router to desktop PC

and then switch on the wifi in my laptop and i should be able to pick up internet ?

Am i corrrect ?

roki

Sirius
09-01-2010, 16:20
Thanks Stuart and Moldova

So once i purchase the Wifi router, do I still keep the cable modem that i already have in the house.

ie will my connection be :

Cable modem to Wifi router
Wifi router to desktop PC

and then switch on the wifi in my laptop and i should be able to pick up internet ?

Am i corrrect ?

roki

you are :tu:

rafa08
10-01-2010, 17:05
Hi

New to this and new to this technology stuff.

NEED HELP

I have virgin cable into the house that provides the broadband signal for my desktop PC ( ie cable into the house , this is then connected to virgin cable MODEM - which in turn is connected to my desk top PC ) This then gives me the internet access.

HELP BIT NOW
I have 2 laptop in the house.

I now want to be able to pick up the internet etc.. on my laptop via Wifi signal

Can anybody pls tell me what box I need to purchase.

I have read number of threads where they are talking abt buying
DI524 or netgear WGR614 etc..

Do i need to purchase a wifi access point which i would connect onto the cable modem and then onto my PC

or do i buy a new box alltogether that replaces the cable modem ?

Can anybody pls tell me what i need to do and what box I should go out and purchase that will allow me to obtain wifi signal on my laptop

Any recommerndation will be a real help.

Thanks

Roki

Call Virgin on 150. Depending on your broadband package (L, XL) you may get a free or discounted wireless router. And of course you get free support if you need it. I ordered one and it arrived 2 days later. Worked first time.