PDA

View Full Version : Router flashing ready light

Pia
08-01-2010, 08:25
Hi i'm posting from my slowwww phone so please excuse the fact i haven't searched for an answer.

At midnight my internet cut out and i've tried rebooting the modem but the ready light won't stop flashing. Can anyone tell me if there's anything on the virgin status thingy for DL area please :D.

If not, is there any way to sort this myself?

Thanks!

andyandy
08-01-2010, 08:37
There are some bb issues on the site, but nothing specific to your region ATM

Pia
08-01-2010, 08:50
Dammit! Lol- thank you for checking.

Now i'm thinking it could be that my outside wires are a mess cos they hadn't fixed them to the wall properly and 'a' dog has chewed them. :oops:.
The tv guy said they will probably charge for repair as they get a lot of dog chewage apparently. Does anyone know how much that's likely to be? Are we talking 3 figures? :Yikes:

Peter_
08-01-2010, 09:15
I would just call 151 from a Virgin phone or 0845 454 1111 from any other phone and just tell them that the is no connection and if they send an engineer and the is damage they should just fix it.

If a dog has chewed it then it has not been protected properly and therefore the should be no charges made against you.

Do not even mention your suspicions that a dog may have chewed the cable.

Pia
08-01-2010, 11:41
Thanks Mol i'll do that shortly. Am expecting the midwife this morning and expect Virgin will keep me on the phone for ages 'diagnosing' so have been putting it off.
The tv guy said sometimes dogs pull them off the wall themselves hence the charges, but that wasn't the case here as i knew when it was installed it wasn't tacked in places i just failed to do anything about it cos i still had my services working :rolleyes: hope they can send someone out quickly though i expect it'll be next week now anyway :-(

Pia
08-01-2010, 18:22
Argh that was painful. His accent was really broad and the poor bloke had to repeat everything 3 times :rofl:

He made me do all the annoying stuff that took ages that i'd already done, despite my protests at first :LOL: Someone is coming out on Monday. Trust it to break on a Friday :(

Only slot was 8-12 so i asked if tech would ring me as i have to do the school run (tv tech did this last time) and he got a bit arsey and said i HAVE to be in at all times or i'll be charged. Think i talked him round in the end.

So just to know what to expect, will i have someone come and raise his eyebrows then come back to actually repair it in 3 weeks? Or will he have the gear to do it there and then?

Peter_
08-01-2010, 20:13
They should be able to do a temporary repair if required and a permanent one booked for a another day if required.

zing_deleted
08-01-2010, 21:04
Argh that was painful. His accent was really broad and the poor bloke had to repeat everything 3 times :rofl:

He made me do all the annoying stuff that took ages that i'd already done, despite my protests at first :LOL: Someone is coming out on Monday. Trust it to break on a Friday :(

Only slot was 8-12 so i asked if tech would ring me as i have to do the school run (tv tech did this last time) and he got a bit arsey and said i HAVE to be in at all times or i'll be charged. Think i talked him round in the end.

So just to know what to expect, will i have someone come and raise his eyebrows then come back to actually repair it in 3 weeks? Or will he have the gear to do it there and then?

just keep cam off school it wont hurt one day lol oh and when your nets back take your hat off lol lol

Pia
08-01-2010, 23:45
Oh nice one so back in business Monday then!

Zing i'm using Opera mini i bet i can change my pic from here. Brb 7 years while i see :rofl:

I've had him off since Weds as it is even tho it reopened today! Has been nice not having to spend an hour stuck in snow traffic with him and a newborn!

Pia
11-01-2010, 13:09
Techs have just been and they changed the wires inside the house and also the wires outside (he didn't even comment on the dog chewage lol).

All is well, internet was working fine. But after 5 mins or so the ready light starts flashing again and internet is dead :shrug:

Tried plugging in the ethernet direct to my PC but it doesn't do anything, am i missing something? Rebooted modem again to post this, and obv all is well so far, but not sure what the crack is here. It's died 3 times since they left :shrug:

Sat by the modem now and the sync light flashes occasionally and then ready goes off, but comes back on. Soon it'll start flashing and i'll need to reboot. Hmph.

zing_deleted
11-01-2010, 13:16
call em up sounds like there is somethine else amiss

moaningmags
11-01-2010, 13:23
Agree with zing call them up and get techs back out.

Pia
11-01-2010, 14:32
Super confused. Was using the wireless through my phone and was working fine, then as soon as i turned the laptop back on it wouldn't connect to internet, but is picking up the router fine. So tried repairing the connection and it errored at "clearing ARP cache" :confused: Checked router and it wasn't flashing this time but rebooted it anyway and now it's working again :shrug:

Was scared to ring back in case it's my laptop or the router causing the problem but it can't be :confused: Will be ringing them back as suggested.

I've had the same modem for about 5 years, wish they'd give me a new one, i always have to reboot it (once every few days at the very least, sometimes more), but i just got used to it and assumed it was normal.

zing_deleted
11-01-2010, 14:34
its not normal

Pia
11-01-2010, 18:40
Omfg. Been on phone to india for over 30 mins. I said all i want is the tech back out but no she insisted we go over her script.

Basically she reckons i do have internet access. She bases this on the fact that the ready light is on and steady. But what she totally ignored is when i told her the internet will work for 5 mins but then cuts out, and the ready light was STILL steady. So she blames my router, tells me to keep it connected to the PC for 24 hours and then ring back, and cuts me off!!!

Why should i wait a day just to discover that yes, it's STILL bloody broken??
It's not the flipping router it does it whether it's direct to laptop or not. All i want is the fella back out i'm fuming. I don't have time to spend another 30 mins on the phone going through the script when i've already done it all countless times before.

Any ideas before i cry? lol.

zing_deleted
11-01-2010, 19:01
Ask Russ to raise it with his contacts :)

Pia
11-01-2010, 19:33
Just been up to try again and it won't connect at all, yet the ready light still steady but no send/recieve at all. How do i do that then and how long will it take? Will u post a link to his profile it'll take years on this carp phone to find it

zing_deleted
11-01-2010, 19:35
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/members/6.html

I dunno about the rest lol are you sure your cables between modem -router-pc are all good?

Pia
11-01-2010, 19:44
Yeah they seem to be. It's just weird how when the tech left today it was all working, for about 5 mins then stopped, light flashed. So reset modem and same again,s worked for a bit. But now it's not flashing just getting no connection :shrug:
Thanks for linky

calmpitbull
12-01-2010, 20:10
If the sync or ready light is flashing then there is nothing you can do and you need a tech. You will just have to get on the phone again and get a tech out, I know its a pain but this will be the only way to resolve your problem.

The messy wires might have been a coincidence, the problem could be a number of things (all vm's responsibility).

type 192.168.100.1 into your internet browser. Then click login on the left and use "root" as both the username and password.

Then click upsteam and tell me what the upstream transmit power level is, then click on the downstream heading and tell me that the downstream SNR and downstream power level is.

Depending on the readings of these you could have some ammo with the call center. Let me know.

III
12-01-2010, 21:15
Ready light flashing can indicate and network fault, an account fault or a provisioning fault. Those 3 can not be resolved by a service tech, calling for advice on the flashing ready light is the right thing to do though.

Pia
13-01-2010, 19:02
Not sure what its doing anymore, the ready light hasn't flashed since Monday night, although it did do it after the tech had been :shrug:

Anyway this is the blurb... (posted it all cos i'd prob give the wrong info :p:)

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 47400000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 50.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 4
Downstream Frequency : 323000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 2.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 39.9 dB

Still having to reboot the modem several times a day though, and ready/sync lights are steady just no send/receive :shrug:
Strangely always accompanied by my tv freezing up... That happens exactly when my laptop tells me the connection is dead. Can't be a coincidence it's done it everytime!

calmpitbull
13-01-2010, 20:24
That all appears to be ok signal wise (it does vary from area to area but it looks ok to me). What model is your modem and how long have you had it. You could need a new one.

I don't think it is a provisioning fault as it is working some of the time.

You definitely need another tech out wither way. Call back and insist.

BTW. A tech can repair a provisioning fault or an account fault with a phone call, and if a network fault is found a tech will refer the job to the correct department.

Pia
13-01-2010, 20:33
Hey my telly just froze again, that's my cue to go reboot the modem so i refreshed that modem page and it changed to this

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Not Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 0
Downstream Frequency : 186750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : unknown
Downstream Symbol Rate : Unknown
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : -25.6 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 23.5 dB:dozey::dozey::dozey: Like i know what that means anyway :LOL:

The modem is a 250, had it since the beginning of time itself :dunce: (over 5 years).

I shall worry not, one of the lovely friends of the forum is going to help me with getting a techy out :Sun: I will update with any changes and fixes though.

Omg while typing this it's done it 3 times :tired:my son is trying to watch Doctor Who, and i must have burned 1200000 calories going up and down the stairs every 2 mins

Sephiroth
13-01-2010, 20:39
Hey my telly just froze again, that's my cue to go reboot the modem so i refreshed that modem page and it changed to this

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Not Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 0
Downstream Frequency : 186750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : unknown
Downstream Symbol Rate : Unknown
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : -25.6 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 23.5 dB

It's utterly borked. The TV glitching is an important clue that either you have a problem at the house wall box or on your trunk or at the cabinet. If it's the trunk, neighbours are likely to have the same/similar problem.

Put your stats on the support newsgroup for a speedy response and do that now as they're theyre till 22:00.

calmpitbull
13-01-2010, 20:52
Wow thats bad. -25.6 is about as low as it gets. As this is affecting your TV as well I would say its before where it splits off (usually at the brown box at the front of the house as the last poster said). Get a tech!

You have more then enough evidence now.

Pia
18-01-2010, 00:48
With thanks to this forum, i was helped with getting a tech back out to sort it. :tu:

Internet is now working fine, they replaced a little silver thing ?(that's the technical term you know ;)) that was where the cables come into the house :shrug: They also replaced my old 250 modem

However my TV is still freezing (even more often, maybe a coincidence?) :confused: but it's not causing the modem to die anymore.

zing_deleted
18-01-2010, 01:10
get em out again then:)

III
18-01-2010, 02:30
get em out again then:)

What he said ^^

Pia
19-01-2010, 13:16
Okay i'm gonna ring them today cos it's sorely peeing me off now lol.

One thing though - i was recently given a Samsung box - if they want to change the box can i insist on it being another Samsung?!

My old box was slooooow

Ignitionnet
19-01-2010, 13:17
Okay i'm gonna ring them today cos it's sorely peeing me off now lol.

One thing though - i was recently given a Samsung box - if they want to change the box can i insist on it being another Samsung?!

My old box was slooooow

They won't be interested in your TV box, don't worry.