PDA

View Full Version : Username and password for modem

suggsy
06-01-2010, 17:22
Anyone know if the 50Mb modem are the same username and password for everyone?

I am hooking up a mate's laptop but it asks for my username and password, do i have to make the dreaded hour or 2 phone call or is it set the same for everyone?

Thanks in advance.

zing_deleted
06-01-2010, 17:23
aye root root

BenMcr
06-01-2010, 17:24
The modems don't have a username and password, well not one that's need to set up a laptop

The routers have a WPA key which is set within the router.

The only username and password is for stuff like e-mail, PC Guard and V Stuff access. This is unique to each account

I really dont get why people don't write these things down.

suggsy
06-01-2010, 17:35
Thanks, but i don't understand why the laptop doesn't recognise the modem straight away when i plug the ethernet cable in, like my pc does.

So i go to the option of 'connect to a network' and choose the broadband, then it asks for the username and password, i've not seen that before.

BenMcr
06-01-2010, 17:37
Have you turned the modem off and on again?

In the 'Connect to a Network' wizard you need to select LAN or Always on connection, not Broadband.

pip08456
06-01-2010, 17:49
The laptop is trying to "dial" for a connection. Make sure you select "never dial for a cnnection"

General Maximus
06-01-2010, 19:54
and if you are using a dreaded network utility like the VM software they send you, check the security settings. If it is set to encrypted network or something it will ask for a WEP key or something if you haven't set one up on the router.

suggsy
06-01-2010, 21:20
Thanks guys, i did reboot the modem and typed in root root, all is well.

Funny thing is, my mate was gobsmacked at the speed of my 50Mb modem, he is used to some slow dongle thing, now i've been using 50Mb for about a year i'm used to it and now want 200 Mb lol

Thanks again all for your help and replies :)

Peter_
06-01-2010, 22:09
The 50Mb VMNG300 modem does not require a username or password to access the config pages.

suggsy
06-01-2010, 22:35
The 50Mb VMNG300 modem does not require a username or password to access the config pages.

In the end i just rebooted the modem and clicked on the option to connect to broadband and all seems well thanks :)

AndyCalling
07-01-2010, 01:04
The problem here is that the modem locks on to a MAC code (the ID number of the connected device) when switched on. It re-does this when powered off and on again. You can often set a network card to imitate another MAC code, usually from the driver settings.

I have a router connected to the modem, and two network ports on my mobo. When I had an issue connecting my router to my father's over the internet to provide Remote Assistance (my father's router was rubbish, since replaced) I got around the issue by having my second network port imitate the MAC of my router (to be found in the router settings, usually). I could then hotplug the modem straight in to the second network port and it would just work. I could re-plug it back in to the router afterwards and it would continue to work again. I still have this set up in case I ever need the option again.