PDA

View Full Version : upgrading from 20 to 50mb

DTMHibbert
06-01-2010, 17:22
ok i have just taken the plunge to go for 50mb as i always get full speed on 20mb and as far as i know nobody near me is on 50mb so i shouldnt get throttled by other users.....

one question though for any engineers out there......

What do the engineers have to do when they come out to install 50mb...... cos im having to wait a 4 WEEK Period to opt for a higher package.... i month to send somebody out is a absolute joke considering when i upgraded to 20mb thery sent out a modem i plugged it in and was up n away with 20 mb at FULL SPEED...

DanTheMan

zing_deleted
06-01-2010, 17:47
they still just plug a modem in and possibly set up the router and perhaps run a speed test lol

Eric55
06-01-2010, 18:17
What Zing says. Had an engineer come last week he was. here for not more than ten minutes, so far it has been faultless.

General Maximus
06-01-2010, 19:51
tbh I think the whole thing is an absolute joke. I would ring them up and ask them if they can post the modem to you. All the dude does is bring the modem round, I connected it, he rang a number and asked them to ping the modem and activate it and that was it. I have done that twice before ages ago when I was with ntl and we had to register the mac address of modems when we were sent new ones. A word of warning as well, when he did the speed test he did it off a special VM server and I only got 25mbits and he was ready to log a call for a technical fault. I stopped him and ran the test off www.speedtest.net which is where i have always done my tests and I got my 50mbit no problemo.

DTMHibbert
06-01-2010, 19:57
makes me laugh... i spent about 20 mins of an hour n half phone call complaining that i have to pay a call out charge for some guy to basically plug summert in... even if i have to phone the tech people to activate it and register the MAC or whatever.... why does that take a technician..... the first modem i ever recieved of them they sent it through the post it had instruction to register and activate it....

ITS A JOKE... 4 WEEKS FOR SOMEONE TO DO 10 MINUTES WORK

DTMHibbert

Peter_
06-01-2010, 20:02
tbh I think the whole thing is an absolute joke. I would ring them up and ask them if they can post the modem to you. All the dude does is bring the modem round, I connected it, he rang a number and asked them to ping the modem and activate it and that was it. I have done that twice before ages ago when I was with ntl and we had to register the mac address of modems when we were sent new ones. A word of warning as well, when he did the speed test he did it off a special VM server and I only got 25mbits and he was ready to log a call for a technical fault. I stopped him and ran the test off www.speedtest.net (http://www.speedtest.net) which is where i have always done my tests and I got my 50mbit no problemo.
The is no option to send out a 50Mb modem it requires a manned install which will cost you £55, its a case of if you want it then you pay for it just as with the V+ box.

The below is from here. (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=15208)

General: Installation charges apply (starting from £35 for standard installation and, subject to availability, from £15 for Quickstart self-install. Quickstart self-install is not available for up to 50Mb broadband). An additional £20 activation fee is payable for 50Mb Broadband. Payment may be required in advance. All prices include VAT. These terms and conditions are in addition to and form part of our standard customer service contract.

Quickstart not available for 50Mb or V+ (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/help/installationcharges.html)

Quickstart Self Install is not yet available in all areas. Cannot be taken for Phone only installs, installs that include V+ set-up, 50Mb broadband XXL installs, or if you wish to keep your telephone number from your previous provider.

DTMHibbert
06-01-2010, 20:43
well it will be interesting to see what they actually do that i cant do....

Ignitionnet
06-01-2010, 20:44
Hopefully changing at some point soon given the amount of installers who seem to just plug them in, hand over the router and dongle, run a speed test then run away themselves. Less nut scratching and more checking of power levels before they run off would be good.

No offence there to the guy who installed mine, he was great and adjusted my signal appropriately.

Peter_
06-01-2010, 20:46
As with the V+ they have a captive audience and they expect payment as they are the only supplier of that product.

DTMHibbert
06-01-2010, 20:52
i totally agree with payment for products...... but they shouldnt adertise it as a technician install charge.... when they say its a free modem and router and dongle....

Sephiroth
06-01-2010, 20:57
Jeez - I hope I'm not being a total Jesse here.

If you're satisfied with 20 Mbps, keep it.

VM haven't ironed out the gotchas in the 50 Mbps service, particularly in the Manchester area (see this forum for details).

Peter_
06-01-2010, 21:01
i totally agree with payment for products...... but they shouldnt adertise it as a technician install charge.... when they say its a free modem and router and dongle....
Have you not read my post above with the link that states that it is an installation and activation charge, nowhere does it say that it is for the router and dongle as they are part of the package and you can refuse them but it still costs £55 anyway.

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

Jeez - I hope I'm not being a total Jesse here.

If you're satisfied with 20 Mbps, keep it.

VM haven't ironed out the gotchas in the 50 Mbps service, particularly in the Manchester area (see this forum for details).
I did not know that Noel Edmunds was involved.:D

Jez
07-01-2010, 22:08
Well, in my case, he replaced the connections at the green box down the street and on the box on my wall, plus replaced the internal box with the cable to the TV box and modem. It took him a while to get the modem remotely activated (busy phone lines, even for the techs!) and there was a problem with a non-functioning DLink router which he replaced with a Netgear one. He then checked my speed, tweaked some settings and checked the power levels before leaving. All in, probably an hour and a half, so I definitely got my money's worth! :-)

I should add, I've been on cable broadband since the days of 512k, long enough to have been automatically upgraded to 10Mb, and had no problems, so presumably there are higher requirements for 50Mb which would go against a reliable default home installation for now, at least?

broadbandking
08-01-2010, 19:33
50Mb is a premuim product and the tech is meant to install the modem and router,tweak the connection if needed.