PDA

View Full Version : Not able to watch iPlayer streams

Milambar
05-01-2010, 23:14
Connection: 20Mb

Speedio says 6MB down 746kb up (so not stm'd)

Unable to watch bbc iPlayer HD streams, it tells me I don't have sufficient bandwidth (min: 3.5MB required)... Sorry? I have (or should have) 20MB... And it plays very.. judderingly.

Some details I think you will ask for, so I've included them anyway...

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 2
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 40.4 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Frequency : 25800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 35.5 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Cable Modem Operation Configuration
Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 1600
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Disabled

Any issues?

Milambar
06-01-2010, 03:41
Additional query - I can't add this to my post, theres no edit button. A moderator might wish to merge the two posts.

I found a small perl script that downloads and saves the bbc iplayer .flv file thus enabling me to watch it without buffering (I have no idea how it works, but it works and works well). However, given that the HD shows are 1.3GB each, I am worried that VM might consider downloading more than 1 a day to be an abuse of the service.

I normally don't download more than a few hundred MB's per day, until I discovered iPlayer...

Any opinions on this? WIll I get regarded as a "detrimental user", considering I have restricted the downloads until after 11pm.

musicbravo
06-01-2010, 09:00
Quick question. are you connected wirelessly to the internet or are you directly connected to the cable modem. If your connection is wireless you could be experiencing interference and may find changing the channel on your router could help

BenMcr
06-01-2010, 10:00
I found a small perl script that downloads and saves the bbc iplayer .flv file thus enabling me to watch it without buffering (I have no idea how it works, but it works and works well).Why don't you just use the iPlayer Desktop?

Any opinions on this? WIll I get regarded as a "detrimental user", considering I have restricted the downloads until after 11pm.No you won't. However depending how many you download you may trigger the STM - www.virginmedia.com/traffic (http://www.virginmedia.com/traffic)

Milambar
06-01-2010, 16:28
A couple of reasons, mostly because I prefer a commandline interface..

get_iplayer --subtitles --get (shows pid number)

As opposed to click click click click click click...

And because the last time I used the desktop client, admittedly this was during the beta, it was a real pain in the ass and unstable, and an even bigger pain to get rid of the kontiki stuff after.

Finally _a_ reason for most (but not one I care about), get_iplayer removes the DRM (actually I think it bypasses the DRM, by streaming the show from the iPlayer website, and saving the stream).

Thank you for confirming that I won't P.O. VM by downloading a number of the HD episodes at night, so I can watch them during the day.

BenMcr
06-01-2010, 16:47
The current iPlayer Desktop uses Adobe AIR, not Kontiki. It's a completely different thing, and much better