PDA

View Full Version : downstream power level seems high?

RanCorX2
30-12-2009, 10:17
Hi, I'm a bit confused about the downstream power level and what it should ideally be, I've only just found about doing a modem login and checking settings...there I thought you could only do that on routers. Anyway, I've checked my power level and it seems to alternate between 14.0 dBmV & 15.2 dBmV.

Now If I understand correctly is that too high or am I still confused?

oh forgot to mention the following;

I live in Colchester, using the 10Mbit cable service and have a black 256 modem. Not sure if you guys require anything else?

Peter_
30-12-2009, 10:19
That is rather high and if you think that it is having any effect on your connection then you need to call Tech Support which is open 24/7 on 151 from your Virgin Media Phone.

It's absolutely free.

Or call 0845 454 1111 from any other phone line.

RanCorX2
30-12-2009, 10:26
I have rung a few times but I always get through to what seems like off shore support and they just tell me to unplug the modem and plug it back in and then tell me all is well and that concludes the call, I was then told (on the virgin community forum) to ring between 8-8:30 am for UK support but still got through to the same dare I say it, useless support agent who was no help at all. I don't know what to do? Once I rung up and asked for a manager but was cut off. I'm not that fond of ringing them.

Is there a UK number I can ring or do I have to keep demanding to speak to someone higher up or even request an engineer?

Peter_
30-12-2009, 10:29
I have rung a few times but I always get through to what seems like off shore support and they just tell me to unplug the modem and plug it back in and then tell me all is well and that concludes the call, I was then told (on the virgin community forum) to ring between 8-8:30 am for UK support but still got through to the same dare I say it, useless support agent who was no help at all. I don't know what to do? Once I rung up and asked for a manager but was cut off. I'm not that fond of ringing them.
UK Support are available now on the above numbers if not happy about offshore ring 150 and choose the option thinking of leaving us and explain that you are not happy about the level of support and can they help you.

Complaining down the right route should help.

RanCorX2
30-12-2009, 10:34
I don't want to leave as your service is the fastest available to us. The only other option available is 0.5Mbps adsl (that doesn't quite have the same ring to it as 10Mbit does it hehe). The exchange in our area doesn't even have adsl2+ enabled, so cable is the only decent option round here.

Thanks I'll give 150 a ring and have a little moan.

Peter_
30-12-2009, 10:40
I don't want to leave as your service is the fastest available to us. The only other option available is 0.5Mbps adsl (that doesn't quite have the same ring to it as 10Mbit does it hehe). The exchange in our area doesn't even have adsl2+ enabled, so cable is the only decent option round here.

Thanks I'll give 150 a ring and have a little moan.
Not a question of leaving but one of getting the support you require.

You can always try the Newgroups where 2nd line agents answer your queries up to 10pm.

Tech Support via Newsgroups.

virginmedia.support.broadband.cable is the one that you want to use and here is the set up link http://www.virginmedia.com/customers/newsgroups/setting-up-outlook-express-exntl.php

RanCorX2
30-12-2009, 10:50
I just got an engineer booked for today, hopefully they can sort it out. Thanks for the help, will update you guys if / when it's resolved.

Peter_
30-12-2009, 11:18
I just got an engineer booked for today, hopefully they can sort it out. Thanks for the help, will update you guys if / when it's resolved.
Told you that you would get a result.:)

RanCorX2
30-12-2009, 11:48
indeed you did :)

RanCorX2
30-12-2009, 14:06
well I got a phone call just now, no one can come today because the engineer that was booked is away. So now they re-scheduled for saturday. The bloke on the phone said there was an "admin" error and he shouldn't of been booked...

RanCorX2
02-01-2010, 10:25
all sorted now, the eningeer installed an attenuator and now the power level is much lower now, 6.1 dBmV.