PDA

View Full Version : A big cable circuit re-alignment upcoming?

Sephiroth
29-12-2009, 18:00
This advert is on the Jobserve. There's prolly more than one telecoms company in Hampshire but my money in this case is on VM.

Baseband Engineer Contract

A fantastic opportunity has arisen for a Baseband Engineer to work with a leading telecommunications company in Hampshire.

The role will include but is not limited to the following:
* Circuits database cross check of local circuit provision and align to physical infrastructure.
* Check cabling requirements from existing customer equipment onto network for the migration of circuits identifying what customer equipment and what cabling is required
* Identify customers that will experience an outage during the transition and ensure this is communicated to the relevant customer account manager (usually customers that have not contracted for diverse connectivity)
* Testing of migration processes and procedures
* Inform all impacted customers for each circuit migration (via the planned work process and account managers)
* Check services are not impacted when circuits migrated

Our client is looking for the following attributes:
* Knowledge of ASI, SDI and other baseband technologies in order to test and identify service affecting issues.

If my hunch is right, then whilst I acknowledge that the re-alignment as set out in the advert is the right way of doing it, are we gonna see more disruption?

And a cheeky thought - have they listened to us?

Or have I got it wrong yet again?

spiderplant
29-12-2009, 18:58
Or have I got it wrong yet again?
I suspect you have. AFAIK VM doesn't use that recruitment agency. Plus VM wouldn't confine a job like that to Hampshire.

Sephiroth
29-12-2009, 19:26
I suspect you have. AFAIK VM doesn't use that recruitment agency. Plus VM wouldn't confine a job like that to Hampshire.
Too bad.

Incidentally I thought about that Hampshire based thing. All this can be planned from a desk given the reams of subscriber details, taps, street boxes etc.

The rest would be work orders to the field with monitoring procedures run from Hook.

Ah well.

Ignitionnet
29-12-2009, 21:37
It's for a baseband engineer, CATV is broadband. The HFC is 'aligned' from time to time as part of routine maintenance by local network and headend guys.

Also note references to account managers, etc. This is for business connectivity only regardless of who the telco is.