PDA

View Full Version : Should I risk upgrading to 50mb?

Nor
29-12-2009, 13:38
I currently have 20mb broadband and the connection is great. Extremely low latency for gaming and always seem to get decent download speeds near the 20mb max.

Is it worth the risk upgrading to 50mb? Latency is extremely important for gaming on the 360 and don't want to mess it up trying to get a few extra mb of download speed.

Thanks.

Stuart
29-12-2009, 13:45
If the gaming is more important than the download speed, I would not risk it.

Nor
29-12-2009, 14:00
Thanks Stuart, was kinda my thinking.

Sephiroth
29-12-2009, 14:00
I currently have 20mb broadband and the connection is great. Extremely low latency for gaming and always seem to get decent download speeds near the 20mb max.

Is it worth the risk upgrading to 50mb? Latency is extremely important for gaming on the 360 and don't want to mess it up trying to get a few extra mb of download speed.

Thanks.
I agree with Stuart C. I've not upgraded from XL because I wanted the glitches ironed out first.

I will prolly never bother unless migrated by VM as part of overal policy. Then I'll be able to jump to BT's FTTC service if need be (and if my BT street cab has been upgraded!).

Peter_
29-12-2009, 14:22

Thanks.
You have a 30 day window during which time you can downgrade back to 20Mb and you will also get to keep the 50Mb modem, D Link DIR615 N router and the USB N adaptor so if in the future you choose to try 50Mb again all they would need to do was provision your account for 50Mb.

You would also have to pay £55 for installation and activation of the 50Mb the first time.

Ian-S
29-12-2009, 14:29
^^ this is what I did, it was an expensive lesson but I went back to 20MB after a few weeks from 50Mb because the latency was terrible for gaming.

broadbandking
29-12-2009, 15:17
As for gaming I find I am hosting alot more games compared to when I was on 20Mb, might aswell go for it I am really impressed with my 50Mb.

Nor
29-12-2009, 18:15
Thanks all. Not going to risk latency being less stable.

merlintt
29-12-2009, 20:09
^^ this is what I did, it was an expensive lesson but I went back to 20MB after a few weeks from 50Mb because the latency was terrible for gaming.

^^ I did exactly the same last week after being told by VM that they do not support xbox:shocked:

Peter_
29-12-2009, 23:03
^^ I did exactly the same last week after being told by VM that they do not support xbox:shocked:
We support the connection but not your equipment that is for Xbox to support do you think the other ISP's support your equipment, in your dreams.;)

I have the PS3, Wii and Xbox support numbers on my desk for customers such as your self plus most of the popular router support numbers.:)

Toilet-Duck
30-12-2009, 00:00
I've had nothing but issues since upgrading to 50 meg, I am hopefully going to be downgraded back to 20 meg in January and the cost of activation refunded to me.

Latency at 126 and 260 at peak times with constant drop outs.

We've had 10 engineer visits out and the problem hasnt been sorted.

They are taking away the 50 meg modem back and re-installing a trusty 20 meg abit modem back, never had any issues on 20 meg.

merlintt
30-12-2009, 00:51
We support the connection but not your equipment that is for Xbox to support do you think the other ISP's support your equipment, in your dreams.;)

I have the PS3, Wii and Xbox support numbers on my desk for customers such as your self plus most of the popular router support numbers.:)

I don`t know what other isp`s do,what i do know is i had no end of problems with with this connection,none of which were apparent on the 20meg connection.

I`ve had an engineer out,had my modem power levels checked,been sent 5 routers and one gateway.

I`m not the only xbox user having trouble,people on virgins 50meg who play gear of war 2 are posting on EPIC`S forum with the same problem,when they host players spawn with no weapon-which never happened to me until i upgraded.

---------- Post added at 23:51 ---------- Previous post was at 23:45 ----------

I've had nothing but issues since upgrading to 50 meg, I am hopefully going to be downgraded back to 20 meg in January and the cost of activation refunded to me.

Latency at 126 and 260 at peak times with constant drop outs.

We've had 10 engineer visits out and the problem hasnt been sorted.

They are taking away the 50 meg modem back and re-installing a trusty 20 meg abit modem back, never had any issues on 20 meg.

I asked to go back to the standard modem,but they said no-I might try givnig them a bell tomorrow and asking again.

broadbandking
30-12-2009, 09:16
It must be certain areas, as my gaming has imorive since using the 50Mb service.

Ian-S
30-12-2009, 11:25

I was actually told "Virgin Media does not support or guarantee the service for gaming" and that "there is never two way communication between gaming server and client". (I was trying to explain to him that the iRacing server can tell who dropped the connection, if my connection dropped I'd be classified last, if the server dropped connection everybody got dropped and the race got stopped and was voided in the results, I'd had both happened over the last 2 years of being involved in it so knew what I was talking about).

I wrote it down because I couldn't believe a 50Mb dedicated technician was talking such crap, or he simply didn't understand the inner workings of a gaming server.

But I'd agree with broadbandking, it does seem to be certain areas, I do know guys on 50Mb that have no problems at all.