PDA

View Full Version : erratic broadband

kered10
24-12-2009, 19:35
Merry Xmas everyone.

I've had very reliable 10Mbs cable bb for ages, but today things are a bit strange.

I've been downloading Windows 7, (2.4GB), and found my speed was down to 2-3Mbs, so to try to diagnose the problem, I was checking Speedtest.net and Pingtest.net, and checking with just the modem, or router as well.

Taking out the router improved the ping, but still only 2.5Mbs, tried different cables with the router in, ping unmeasurable. New cable, no router, ping ok, still only 2.5Mbs, then went to have my dinner, came back to full speed 10Mbs! Downloaded about 1.6GB of W7 and back to 2.5Mbs, with ping varying, sometimes over 200ms.

I'm confused.

Derek

Welshchris
24-12-2009, 19:37
by this u mean ur connection speed was 2.5mb and not download speed as u wont get 2.5mb download on 10mb connection?

Peter_
24-12-2009, 20:24
Sounds like traffic management.

Check this link out if you downloaded the amounts specified during the time periods shown you will have your speed cut to the limits listed.

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

kered10
24-12-2009, 21:11
Thanks to both, I think you're both right! I'll see how things are tomorrow, if I've got time between tasks, in preparation for arrival of family for dinner!

Derek