PDA

View Full Version : Strange (to me) connection issue

Carth
24-12-2009, 14:59
Due to my old NTL100 modem developing a fault I recently received the replacement 260 - everything works fine, however ...

My modem and Router are on the same extension lead (as before) and when I switch it on, although everything lights up OK, I only have 'local connection' on my computer and can't access the internet until I remove and plug back in the power lead of the router - 5 seconds later I have the full connection.

Everything is wired as before, the only difference is the new modem, and I never had this problem with the old one.

It's no great problem for me to continue using the 'quick fix' but if there's a way to make it connect as before it would be nice ;) I'm guessing that the 260 modem goes about configuring itself in a different way and the router is too quick for it (if you follow me) and I need to delay the router, but that's just a wild guess, any help or advice welcome :)

JackSon
24-12-2009, 16:19
Hi Carth.

The unwritten rules are power up the devices in a staggered sequence, starting with the modem, letting that settle before tunring on the router before then powering up the PC. Sometomes the sequence is not required but it tends to make things a bit easier.

However, do I understand that you are powering down and powering up your modem on a daily basis? Really you can leave the modem on 24/7/52 and that would negate the need to reboot your router and such down the line.

Peter_
24-12-2009, 17:28
If you are powering down your equipment every day then just simply flicking the switch back on may well cause these symtoms.

As JackSon says these must be switched on in sequence and the modem is always the first item to switch on and you must wait for the Sync and Ready light on the right hand side to go solid before now powering up the router after a minute or two you should have your connection back up and running.

Welshchris
24-12-2009, 17:45
Since when have they started giving Ambit 260s out is it just another chipset upgrade?

Peter_
24-12-2009, 17:53
Since when have they started giving Ambit 260s out is it just another chipset upgrade?

It will be an Ambit 256 and will havw sticker on the base confirming it.

Welshchris
24-12-2009, 17:57
ah right