PDA

View Full Version : anybody else Internet down in Belfast?

wahee
23-12-2009, 14:07
Virgin 20mb cable lost connection yesterday. . The pc can see the modem but there is just a yellow triangle on the connection icon. I have tried a different computer but the problem persists. It worked briefly this morning but is now off. It seems like it cant get a DNS service.

My wife works from home and she has a separate BT ADSL modem using the phone line. It went down too!

Nothing on either providers website about issues, just wondering if there are any other users having problems.

I cant understand how both separate systems can go off, unless cable and BT share some resources

Sephiroth
23-12-2009, 14:32
I had that a few months ago after some summer thunderstorms.

I thought at first the lightning had got them both - and it took some hours for them both to come back. O2 (on my BT line) came back forst and VM the next day.

So what could it be in your area? A digger gone through both sets of cables (in many places they run in parallel in separate ducts/trenches - but diggers don't care?

Or a power outage in a common area that houses the local nodes? Although the BT system always has standby generators so that if the phone works the ADSL should work.

wahee
23-12-2009, 16:55
hi
thanks for the reply. The virgin cable service is back up tonight, so hopefully it will stay that way. Virgin themselves didn't know anything about it.

Fingy
24-12-2009, 10:52
All was fine here. :shrug:

wahee
24-12-2009, 12:45
hi thanks for the info. It's back working this morning but off all last night. I think there must be a gain issue with the line or something. I think BT was just a coincidence

Fingy
24-12-2009, 13:06
Possibly. Do you have tv services through Virgin?

If you do check if they are working when it goes down, if not then it is more than likely an outage. In any case you should phone and report your issues. :)

wahee
24-12-2009, 13:20
yea, the TV was ok. This issue happened before and the engineer increased the gain on the line and it solved the issue. I booked an engineer to have a look at it after Christmas.

zorba
24-12-2009, 23:16
I'm in Belfast too and had problems last few days - not sure if they're related.

Started on Tuesday, internet was down.

I called up Virgin support, 0845 #, chick in India got me to reboot cable modem, also my home router (Netgear WPNT834), both of which I already had tried. No joy. She told me to bypass the Netgear router, and I had to change the PC's Local Network config from fixed LAN IP (as demanded by the router) to a DHCP client.

It worked. I got and am still getting internet direct from the cable modem into my PC. Trouble is, that's no good for all our wireless PC's downstairs that relied on the wireless router !!

She then announced that something was wrong with my router (which has worked fine for maybe 2years... but maybe that's the issue - longevity, or lack thereof!) and told me I should be using one supported by Virgin, and tried to put me thru to the sales desk to sell me one for £50.

I declined, sensing a hard-sell and thought I'd do some investigation of my own first. Also I thought I had enuff spare routers lying around between home nad office.

STill can't get the router to pick up the internet - internet light never goes green on it.

Have Virgin done something to the line last few days, so that non-authorised routers won't pick up the signal, or is it more likely that my router is banjaxed (NB the LAN - both fiexed and wireless both work fine on it, just won't pick up the internet from the cable modem)

Another thing is that our support company were trying to get my VPN working via this router this week. iN the end they said it couldn't be done as it wasn't the right kind of VPN pass thru' router. I dont know much about routers so excuse me if this sounds silly, but could they have somehow changed the config on the router remotely ?

maybe I'll do a factory reset. The WAN settings should be fairly simple to put back in for Virgin - i.e. no login required as it all happens in the modem ?

In meantime, any other help, pls weigh in

- would prefer not to be doing this Xmas eve, but we have become so internet dependant in this house, would prefer to have it back up for everyone over holiday period LOL