PDA

View Full Version : I have 2 white co-axial cables and need to connect them together-not sure how to?

zkm1223
22-12-2009, 17:02
Hi, I want to connect my computer to the wireless router so that i can get the full speed of my virgin broadband (20MB). currently my router is downstairs and the PC is upstairs. I have 2 fibre optic cables and need to connect them together but am not sure what the connector is called and where to get it from.

Please can you tell me what to use to connect the 2 cables together and what is it called and where to get one from. thanks in advance.

on in an hour!
22-12-2009, 17:05
im presuming you mean ethernet cables and not fibre optic!! best bet would be to buy a longer ethernet cable,say 20mtrs or so,or you could get VM to come and relocate your modem for a very reasonable 99 english pounds ;)

Welshchris
22-12-2009, 17:07
i think they mean the coaxal cable not ethernet.

U can get joiners from places like Maplins.

Sephiroth
22-12-2009, 17:34
Just to add to the confusion - I would not extend the coaxial cable and therefore I would not put the modem upstairs. there will be signal loss and possibly additional noise.

You can either run a long cat5e ethernet cable from the router up to your PC or you can buy a pair of Powerline devices (>20Mbps rated), plug the router into that, plug that into the mains, plug the other into the mains upstairs, plug an ethernet cable into the oone upstairs and into your PC. Mains noise will not be an issue in my own experience.

zkm1223
22-12-2009, 21:14
hi, thanks for the replies. I was talking about the coaxal cable. However in the last post, it was mentioned that I can buy some powerline devices. Using this, will i recieve the max speed (same as if i was using a coaxal cable)? if this is the case then i will do this as it will save the headache of nailing the coaxal cable along the wall.

Sephiroth
22-12-2009, 21:27
hi, thanks for the replies. I was talking about the coaxal cable. However in the last post, it was mentioned that I can buy some powerline devices. Using this, will i recieve the max speed (same as if i was using a coaxal cable)? if this is the case then i will do this as it will save the headache of nailing the coaxal cable along the wall.

Yes - go to Maplin and select a pair of Powerline devices that are rated over 20 Mbps. Look here:

http://www.devolo.co.uk/consumer/dlan-mains-supply-network.html?l=en

zkm1223
22-12-2009, 21:30
ok, just to confirm will the powerline adapters reduce any of my speed?

Sephiroth
22-12-2009, 21:43
ok, just to confirm will the powerline adapters reduce any of my speed?

The powerline adapters will not normally reduce your speed. But I do recommend that you use Cat 5e ethernet cables.

Now I say that on the basis of my own Devolo devices but I'm not to be held liable for your particular outcome. If in doubt seek professional advice.

zkm1223
22-12-2009, 22:46
ok thanks a lot.

zkm1223
23-12-2009, 12:26
oh, btw can i just check, is the virgin TV coaxial cable the same as the virgin broadband coaxial cable?

Wayfair
23-12-2009, 12:30
Yes it is.

Stuart
23-12-2009, 15:21

It's worth noting that you won't lose any speed with Ethernet...

SiJ2000
24-12-2009, 16:24
The connection from my firewall to my network is via lan over power... It works very well...

I put my firewall with the Modem so when I monitor from outside I will be able to distinguish between connection failure and LAN failure if you see what I mean!

zkm1223
30-12-2009, 11:38
Hi, I decided to buy the coaxial cable (cheapest option), however it has just arrived in the post this morning and the diameter of the wire is about half the diameter of the virgin wire. will this affect the speed? here is a link to the cable i bought:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320456606431&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

BTW I didn't realize its size before i bought it as you can't see that in the picture.

Kymmy
30-12-2009, 11:52
Title changed to reflect the true request

Sephiroth
30-12-2009, 12:04
IMO you're heading for trouble - RF interference, additional attentuation etc. I don't think you really know what you're doing (apologies if I'm wrong) and the advice given at post #4 (long Cat 5e ethgernet cable) is your cheapest workable option.

Stuart
30-12-2009, 12:15
Hi, I decided to buy the coaxial cable (cheapest option), however it has just arrived in the post this morning and the diameter of the wire is about half the diameter of the virgin wire. will this affect the speed? here is a link to the cable i bought:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320456606431&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

BTW I didn't realize its size before i bought it as you can't see that in the picture.

If it gives you a connection at all, at best it will be unreliable..

By far the best cheap option in your case would be ethernet. Ethernet has a maximum speed of over 1,000 MBps. The maximum speed required by cable is 50MBps so Ethernet will cope easily.

zkm1223
30-12-2009, 12:16
Ok I will return the cable I bought and go to maplin and buy it from there. thanks for all your help

Kymmy
30-12-2009, 12:23
Another vote here for extending it with ethernet :tu:

Altering a co-axial cable (especially with connectors/plugs) can alter your signal level to such an extenet that you then have to call out an engineer.

Also altering the ethernet side will not break your terms & conditions

zkm1223
30-12-2009, 12:29
I already have about 10m coaxial cable and i want to connect it to another 10m cable. will this reduce the speed much?

Also I'm really altering it, i'm just extending the cable.

Kymmy
30-12-2009, 12:31
It's not the speed it'll reduce but instead the signal level, lower the signal level too much and you'll end up with no connection at all..or possibly an intermittant connection..

zkm1223
30-12-2009, 12:32
the reason I don't want to extend the ethernet cable is because the modem will stay downstairs and the router will be upstairs. I want them both to be next to each other.

---------- Post added at 12:32 ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 ----------

what if i buy a 20m cable? will this be OK?

Kymmy
30-12-2009, 12:37
I wouldn't extend the original cable more than a couple of meters mind you personally I wouldn't mess with it at all expecially when a callout is nearly £100 to fix a messed up cabling job..

zkm1223
30-12-2009, 12:47
would this wire be ok:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/F-Connector-Coaxial-Satellite-Sky-Virgin-NTL-Cable-20M_W0QQitemZ200417234683QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Con Ele_SatCableFreeview_RL?hash=item2ea9cc4efb

All I am going to do is disconnect the original virgin cable and put this in its place.

Kymmy
30-12-2009, 12:49
You don't seem to be listening, oh well will leave this thread as I found it..

zkm1223
30-12-2009, 12:57
I am listening. All of you are saying that the ethenet cable would be best, however the modem will remain downstairs and the router will move upstairs. I want both of them to be upstairs.

i need a 17m cable to bring both the modem and router upstairs. you are saying that if i connect 2 coaxial cables together, i will lower the signal, however now i am saying if i buy a full 20m cable (so that i don't need to connect 2 together) will this be OK. All I would do is replace the virgin cable I have with the 20m cable. this will then allow me to move the modem and router upstairs.

Phil-ntl
30-12-2009, 13:18
I am listening. All of you are saying that the ethenet cable would be best, however the modem will remain downstairs and the router will move upstairs. I want both of them to be upstairs.

i need a 17m cable to bring both the modem and router upstairs. you are saying that if i connect 2 coaxial cables together, i will lower the signal, however now i am saying if i buy a full 20m cable (so that i don't need to connect 2 together) will this be OK. All I would do is replace the virgin cable I have with the 20m cable. this will then allow me to move the modem and router upstairs.

To use an idiom here, You pays your money and you takes your chance.

As has already been explained to you, extending the cable by no matter how much, could well interfere with your signal level to the point that it kills your connection. Using one long cable instead of joining cables will reduce the overall loss slightly but imho there is a very good chance that even using one 20m cable could well play havoc with your connection.

I dont know the exact specs for the cabling but i would guess that the loss over a 17m/20m length or co-ax could be quite high. more so if its a cheap cable.

Phil

Kymmy
30-12-2009, 13:22
I dont know the exact specs for the cabling but i would guess that the loss over a 17m/20m length or co-ax could be quite high. more so if its a cheap cable.

The best quality RG6 over that distance/frequency is at least 3db attenuation..

zkm1223
30-12-2009, 13:25
OK, I will use an ethernet cable. Thanks for all your help. I didn't understand that even using one long cable would affect the signal.

Phil-ntl
30-12-2009, 13:26
The best quality RG6 over that distance/frequency is at least 3db attenuation..

Thanks Kymmy.

Definately enough attenuation to cause major problems then, especially if the signal is already borderline.

Phil

zkm1223
30-12-2009, 13:29
How about using Powerline devices suggested in post 6?

Phil-ntl
30-12-2009, 13:31
How about using Powerline devices suggested in post 6?

Definately a workable option. Obviously more expensive than a 20m ethernet cable but in my experience, they do what it says on the tin.

Have used them in a few network situations with no speed loss to the end user at all.

phil

zkm1223
30-12-2009, 13:35
do I have to look for anything specific for an ethernet cable?

---------- Post added at 13:35 ---------- Previous post was at 13:33 ----------

is this one ok:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-New-Grey-20m-Ethernet-CAT-5e-RJ45-Network-Cable_W0QQitemZ270507190204QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C omputing_NetworkingCables_RL?hash=item3efb7c27bc

Phil-ntl
30-12-2009, 13:38
As has previously mentioned, any reasonably decent quality ethernet cable that is at least cat5e or even better, cat6 should do the job.

As the one you link to is cat5e then there should be no problems at all. Obviously do not take that as a definative answer as without seeing the actual cable for myself I cant be 100% but the specs given should work perfectly

Phil

zkm1223
30-12-2009, 13:39
Ok thanks again for all the help and advice!!! :)