PDA

View Full Version : Checking cable coverage

shakey2009
22-12-2009, 13:40
Afternoon all!

I currently live in a new housing estate and I have to suffer with terrible internet speeds from BT (1mbs :().

Does anyone know how to find out if fibre cables are planned for a specfic area? with it being a new estate (approx 800-850 new homes, and still building!) I would have thought it would be installed. The town already has a good fibre network, so I guess its a case of just extending it...?

I have contacted Virgin customer services but they dont seem to have a clue what I mean :rolleyes: other than to say "We can supply you with fantastic broadband down your existing phone line!"

I live in Hartlepool, up in the North East of UK.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Andrew

MovedGoalPosts
22-12-2009, 14:30
Virgin Media haven't really extended their cabled network for many years. A few months ago they did indicate they were looking at getting service to some areas where they had identified "infill" was possible. Presumably that was to be to odd little estates and properties added into streets where cable already existed. The arrangements seemed rather ill-defined.

Whether your estate could even get cable will depend on whether the developer laid any ducst and similarly if there is a cable network infrastructure passing near to the estate. Even if it is possible, getting it to you might be many years away.

shakey2009
22-12-2009, 14:36
Thanks Rob.

Do you think a call to the local Council would be beneficial? I am assuming that Planning is required for works like this, and could possibly indicate if the house builder did install the ducts in advance etc...

Digital Fanatic
22-12-2009, 18:02
Thanks Rob.

Do you think a call to the local Council would be beneficial? I am assuming that Planning is required for works like this, and could possibly indicate if the house builder did install the ducts in advance etc...

No harm in asking, but you could try the building Company first?