PDA

View Full Version : Sudden slow speeds this week

SolidSnake
21-12-2009, 22:46
Hi,

I am new to this forum, but I have been a VM Broadband (with an ntl:home 200 modem) customer for over six years, with limited problems; until this week my 10 MB connection turned painfully slow to about 0.30 to 0.75 Mbps, download!

So over the weekend I called VM tech support and after a long phone call and lots of testing with speedtests, they said it was a problem at their end and sent a engineer out for today.
The engineer came today and said there's nothing he can do!!! But said that he will pass it on to tech support; however he also said that you should call them again in a few days time!

So what could be the problem? Are they passing the buck to one another while I am still stuck on extreme slow speeds? :mad:

It seems people like posting cable modem status reports here to help them out, so I will do the same in hope someone can figure out what's going on:

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Software version : 2.67.1016
Hardware version : 1.15

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -3.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 23.2 dB

Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 38.0 dBmV
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

The above doesn't mean much to me. But I am sure someone here can make sense of it all.

Thanks.

Ignitionnet
21-12-2009, 23:08
Your downstream SNR is utterly hosed. You need a technician to attend and assist you. Preferably one who knows backside from elbow and will escalate the fault to networks instead of palming you off with tech support.

You do have an old modem as well, it could be that at fault, get in touch with the 2nd line tech support guys via the newsgroups and see if they'll send you a new one.

SolidSnake
21-12-2009, 23:16
Ok thanks. It's a old modem but does that mean that it should just suddenly stop working?

It's very difficult dealing with the VM tech line. They just want you to go away, it seems. As for newsgroups, I haven't used them in ten years, what's the best way to access them?!

Ignitionnet
21-12-2009, 23:23
http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/newsgroups/

The one you want is the server news.virginmedia.com and group virginmedia.support.broadband.cable

SolidSnake
21-12-2009, 23:26
Thanks.
Looks like I have to use a actual mail program!

Sephiroth
21-12-2009, 23:26
... and before you get into the CS cycle, just check that your coax cable is properly screwed in both ends and isn't broken (like bent too sharply).

Paranoimia
21-12-2009, 23:45
Similar issues here. Mine's been fine for years, practically full speed at all times... but in the last few weeks seems to have plummeted.

I'm on a 20Mb connection. A few weeks back, I was getting around 5Mb and at this moment in time, I'm getting under 2Mb. I'm in Northampton, NN3 area.

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Channel Id : 3
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 4.6 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 40.0 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 37500000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream transmit Power Level : 44.0 dBmV

pip08456
22-12-2009, 00:09
Your power levels look OK are you using any type of P2P software that may have got you throttled?

Paranoimia
22-12-2009, 01:13
Your power levels look OK are you using any type of P2P software that may have got you throttled?

Nope. I do occasionally use Azureus/Vuze for a few US TV shows, but haven't used it since last Thursday. Even then, it should only drop to 5Mb. I've done nothing but browsing today... not even played any games online.

I only really noticed it because I logged in to PSN to watch a few videos on VidZone on the PS3, and they were pausing where the playback was catching up with the download... which never usually happens.

Having said that - perhaps tonight's dire performance is down to contention, or maybe even the weather (perhaps, like Eurostar, the snow is "too fluffy" :D)... it's now up to around 10Mb, which while not ideal for a 20Mb connection, is much better.

I have said here a few times that my connection has performed pretty much perfectly since it was installed in 2001. That'll teach me, eh? ;)

Mick Fisher
22-12-2009, 03:31
I'm in NN10 on 20meg. Recently things have definately taken a turn for the worse. 2 to 3meg at peak times is pretty normal these days with 6 to 13 mostly available after 9.00pm. Occasionally 18+ might be had in the small hours. My modem signal levels are within bounds but a couple of days ago the BB started dropping and then reconnecting. I checked the levels and upstream had gone to 60. In desperation I rebooted the modem and noted the upstream had changed to 50. It's been stable since. Would this be connected in any way.

SolidSnake
22-12-2009, 08:52
... and before you get into the CS cycle, just check that your coax cable is properly screwed in both ends and isn't broken (like bent too sharply).

Oh I can do that, thanks to the the furniture I had to move for yesterday's engineer!

Everything seems fine, with the cable screwed in properly. There is however, an "Forward Path Equalizer 8db" filter attached to the cable modem end, that was installed about 3 years ago, when I had a complete outrage. At that time an engineer came and fixed it from the street cab.
If anyone really insists that I should remove the filter and try it, before going into a CS cycle (or another one) and it would make any difference at all, please tell me!

This morning speeds have improved a bit, I hit the 3Mbps mark, which is the fastest reading I have had all week! Is it possible they are trying to do something?
EDIT: *sigh* looks like the the connection is slowed down again and I am getting between 1 and 2 Mbps at about 9.00 am.

Sephiroth
22-12-2009, 10:24
Oh I can do that, thanks to the the furniture I had to move for yesterday's engineer!

Everything seems fine, with the cable screwed in properly. There is however, an "Forward Path Equalizer 8db" filter attached to the cable modem end, that was installed about 3 years ago, when I had a complete outrage. At that time an engineer came and fixed it from the street cab.
If anyone really insists that I should remove the filter and try it, before going into a CS cycle (or another one) and it would make any difference at all, please tell me!

This morning speeds have improved a bit, I hit the 3Mbps mark, which is the fastest reading I have had all week! Is it possible they are trying to do something?
EDIT: *sigh* looks like the the connection is slowed down again and I am getting between 1 and 2 Mbps at about 9.00 am.

If your downstream power of -3.8 dBmv is attenuated by 8dB then you could expect +4.2 dBmv without it, whch is respectable inthis could weather.

It would be interesting to note the SNR if you take the filter off. The problem lies in the SNR, IMO and that of the great BBings.

SolidSnake
22-12-2009, 11:52
If your downstream power of -3.8 dBmv is attenuated by 8dB then you could expect +4.2 dBmv without it, whch is respectable inthis could weather.

It would be interesting to note the SNR if you take the filter off. The problem lies in the SNR, IMO and that of the great BBings.

Ok removing the filter and power resetting the computer/modem has changed nothing. It's still the daytime speed of about 0.35Mpbs. I think sometimes my upload speed is faster!

Here are the modem stats with the filter off:

Type : Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem
Software version : 2.67.1016
Hardware version : 1.15

Acquire Downstream Channel 586750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational
Security Enabled BPI

Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.3 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 22.3 dB

Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 38.0 dBmV
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz

Looks like I'll have to contact people in that Newsgroup after all.

Thanks.

Sephiroth
22-12-2009, 17:20
Hi Snake

Yes - it's back to the original diagnosis. The SNR is hopeless. It'll likely be something physical but nothing you can do unless it's your coax cable.

SolidSnake
22-12-2009, 21:12
Hi Snake

Yes - it's back to the original diagnosis. The SNR is hopeless. It'll likely be something physical but nothing you can do unless it's your coax cable.

Yeah, I went through the newsgroup and they've sent another engineer visit. At least I can tell them there's something wrong with the SNR this time.

SolidSnake
24-12-2009, 09:39
Just to update, that all that was required was a new modem. Everything's solved.