PDA

View Full Version : getting really sick of virgins lies

sniperdude
20-12-2009, 23:28
had 50mb about 3 months first month was great then I had a total outage
for 24hours since then I have had nothing but problems with always the same symptoms

the 24hour outage symptoms I talk about are my broadband totally slowed down to the point it wouldn't display a page.. so I reboot the modem and still get not webpages on entering the modem config pages/status I notice it's saying

Ranged Upstream Channel...........N/A or acquiring (something like that anyway)
Provisioning State ....................Ranging or DHCPv4 in progress (DHCPv4 in progress most of the time for ages )

they sorted this and also tech out to adjust the power levels amd spread mud all over my carpets

since then my connection have never been the same

i have had 3 fault numbers been told their was FEC errors was getting not even 20mb until last Friday night when my speed retuned... i thought yay
its back not more problems

this Friday my net went down again same problems as before "DHCPv4 in progress" was off al last night and tonight it has been down

been in contact with 2nd line again from the newsgroups and have been told repair target this time is the 24th

honestly I am now really sick to death of it and am wondering can anyone pull some strings here

over the past month I have spoke to virgin on just about every level
and I don't seem to be getting anywhere at all

50Mb team told me the reason I was only getting half the speed was i was using a cat5 cable and not a cat5E FGS who trained these people

here is this weeks repair number they give a new one weekly like loto F001153753

Stephen
21-12-2009, 00:19
There has been a big fault recently effecting the 50MB and it is/was causing modems not to connect to the network. I had a problem with it for 3 days last week and had no access at all and then for a week I only had 2MB.

As far as I know they are trying to sort it as fast as possible.

Does your ready light just flash? Only advice I can give is don't reboot the modem.

sniperdude
21-12-2009, 00:46
to be honest mate I don't take any notice of the lights the modem is downstairs hidden away my pc room is upstairs with a cat 5 cable coming up to it

I can't not reboot it mate I don't get any webpages unless I do

it has gone a lot better now to am able to surf normally for now
just done a speed test and am get 45Mb for the London server
at speedtest

I wouldn't mind if they told you what the problem was they was doing the best to repair it but they just don't they just seem to think that its ok for you to have bad service if they give you a fault number

they should also give more priority to on going faults

Mick Fisher
21-12-2009, 03:01
They tell you as little as possible because they probably don't know what's going on either. :dozey:

In the case that they do know then it is to try to stop you leaving.

sniperdude
21-12-2009, 11:50
not really one of the 50Mb team just looked at my notes for the past month and said he would be looking elsewhere himself LOL

problem he said is a signal to noise ratio problem (they fixed this a few weeks ago yawn) said I am lucky to be online right now

the networks team are rubbish they never make permanent repairs
always seems to be a cockup job that lasts a few days

Ignitionnet
21-12-2009, 12:37
To be fair it's really not that simple. I'm not saying what's happened to you isn't bad but it's not as simple as a 'permanent repair'.

AHN-David
21-12-2009, 13:40
Looks like another unhappy customer because of lies. I was in the same boat with the lies.

sniperdude
21-12-2009, 15:20
To be fair it's really not that simple. I'm not saying what's happened to you isn't bad but it's not as simple as a 'permanent repair'.

amazing, but to me it is that simple.

I am sick them giving me a different fault number every week that always amounts to the same problem the only way this will end is if the permanently
fix the problem

I don't really care how they go about it as long as they do it fast

every time the fault returns I have to wait another 5 days for them to fix it
hardly fair on me never mind them who get well paid to repair these problems but do it so badly

Ignitionnet
21-12-2009, 17:06
The network guys aren't 'well paid' by any stretch, and I appreciate you're upset but check into their job some more before assuming that they are doing it badly.

It's not as simple as tightening a connector. Your problem could be caused by something as crazy as someone breaking into a cabinet and connecting a dodgy box to the network or a pirate radio station.

Fingers crossed though that they can isolate and seal up the network this time around and if it is someone playing silly buggers deal with them.

sniperdude
21-12-2009, 17:56
I know the job they do isn't as simple as tightening up a connector please give me some credit.

but that fact of the matter is they have already fixed this problem and its gone again and again so yes I think they are doing a bad job, in fact no that would be putting it lightly the correct words would get me banned from here.

the fact that they have fixed this before suggests they know what the problem is
so its not a case of tracking anything or captain jack sparrow's radio being left on

but every time this problem happens the priority is repair within 5 days or something like that, after a full month of this I doubt any paying customer would be happy or have any faith in the networks team.

and if they aren't well paid that most likely due to being unskilled.

if you took you car for repair and the next day it wouldn't start would you be angry ?
yes you would

if you have to take it back everyday for a month how would you feel ?

bonzoe
21-12-2009, 18:19
Networks are much more complex than you seem to appreciate, slagging off the staff trying to sort it out is hardly helpful.

OK none of us would be happy in your situation, but some things are not that easy to fix..try to be patient, ask for a credit for loss of service.

sniperdude
21-12-2009, 19:50
that's my whole point

they are not trying to sort it out until Thursday Xmas eve.

every time this same problem goes wrong they take the same amount of time to sort it then it goes again I have to wait again

the priority it seems is 5 days for this fault

after over 4 weeks of problems your telling me to be patient and not slag them off ffs i have been more than than patient but their is only so much a person can take

you don't know the half of it.. with call centres giving me wrong dates for repair.. untrained Indian call centre staff who totally haven't a clue what they are doing

was on the phone to one for 25 mins she directed me all over my pc
she didn't have a clue about windows 7

don't ask me why.. but you know what she got after all this messing about
my internal ip WTF?? I could have told her that if she just asked me "what's you internal ip "

not that an internal ip is any good to her at all

I could go on my I think my net is going to go off again

Nedkelly
21-12-2009, 20:14
Sorry i find the dig at networks was not needed :mad: There are lots of things we have to do to keep the network ready .Sometimes we have to monitor the network as the fault is not there or it is one customer causing noise on the network and only doing it at night .Some of the depts you call can not see the system we use .Is it the copper connetors, tap plate, amp ,dc8,s fibre amps /receivers ,fpms ,rpms the list can go on this is what we have to look at to find a fault

Ignitionnet
21-12-2009, 20:30
A lot of this it should be noted isn't just a case of looking at a screen. On the 50Mbit network these guys will have to disconnect a cable in the headend and see if the noise goes away which will narrow it down to only between 500 and 2000 homes, then work their way physically through the network out in the street disconnecting the return paths at each point to narrow it down to a single cabinet if none of the network on the way is to blame.

When they get to this cabinet they have to work out which drop is feeding the noise in by disconnecting them in turn. If the noise is intermittent this investigation can take an extremely long time. If there are multiple intermittent sources it gets seriously nasty.

They told you it was a signal to noise problem, from their point of view it's a single issue that has reoccured, from the point of view of the guys who actually work on the networks there could be many sources of noise which they are trying to deal with.

Just to make it even more of a kicker legitimate modems and set top boxes can even break the network if they transmit too high and overdrive the lasers. :(

I know it's a nightmare but it's not the fault of the network guys, their job is a nasty and pretty thankless one. I wouldn't fancy rooting around freshly urinated on cabinets in all weathers for a living.

fireman328
21-12-2009, 21:19
Employ more staff instead of laying them off and recruit a better quality of staff.

III
21-12-2009, 21:30
Employ more staff instead of laying them off and recruit a better quality of staff.

Thats a really good idea, but then the shareholders, big money makers at the top won't make as much cash and that simply won't do.

sniperdude
21-12-2009, 22:20
They told you it was a signal to noise problem, from their point of view it's a single issue that has reoccured, from the point of view of the guys who actually work on the networks there could be many sources of noise which they are trying to deal with.

think the 50Mb team guy I spoke to today said it a "low noise on the upstream"he said at them levels I am lucky to be able to get on-line at all

he also went on to too tell me there are about 250 people on my cable and 28 on 50mb we will all be effected

weather any of this is true it still don't help me but obviously it will mean more to you guys than to me

Ignitionnet
21-12-2009, 22:32
250 on the downstream cable perhaps but your problem is upstream and those customers will be split between 4 of those.

Again no consolation to you though. The 50Mbit team aren't going to be too versed in the finer points regrettably. Not really a part of their job.

---------- Post added at 22:32 ---------- Previous post was at 22:31 ----------

More and better staff are expensive. VM may actually have to expect people to stump up a few quid for their broadband instead of expecting 100% available unlimited 50Mbit for the cost of 3 pints a week.

pip08456
21-12-2009, 22:38
expecting 100% available unlimited 50Mbit for the cost of 3 pints a week.

WOW! Do they have an offer on? I'll take it tomorrow :)

Peter_
21-12-2009, 22:43
WOW! Do they have an offer on? I'll take it tomorrow :)
Thats at London prices so £45 a month to you.

pip08456
21-12-2009, 22:51
Trust a VM staff member to break the dream :) and we are sort of hijacking this thread which isn't fair on the OP.

I understand his frustrations but it will be sorted eventually and he should be recompensed for the downtime he's had.

sniperdude
21-12-2009, 23:01
don't worry mate go for it hijack away

quite bored with everyone making out am the bad guy for expecting my service to work
anyway

Ignitionnet
21-12-2009, 23:04
don't worry mate go for it hijack away

quite bored with everyone making out am the bad guy for expecting my service to work
anyway

Ah you're not a bad guy but blaming the wrong guys. The network guys are fine it's just how they have to work that sucks :(

pip08456
21-12-2009, 23:27
anyway

Nobody on this site thinks you're the bad guy. All of us have had problems at one time or another it's just that some take longer to fix than others

Ignitionnet
21-12-2009, 23:41
Thats at London prices so £45 a month to you.

You're actually not that far wrong. Thinking about it I do pay 3.15 a pint here in London so it's about 40 quid a month.

I stand corrected, VM don't charge that much.

pip08456
22-12-2009, 00:02

Can we have this as a sticky??

Peter_
22-12-2009, 09:02
You're actually not that far wrong. Thinking about it I do pay 3.15 a pint here in London so it's about 40 quid a month.

You must live on the outskirts at that price.:D

sniperdude
22-12-2009, 10:34
virgin have enough money as it is

they should get rid of them Indian call centres and open some more uk based ones

I so miss telewest/blueyonder customer service

broadbandking
22-12-2009, 10:38
And heres me thinking Weatherspoons is getting expensive.

Ignitionnet
22-12-2009, 10:47
And heres me thinking Weatherspoons is getting expensive.

Given how little beer is in the stuff that comes out of the taps there it is. Near-frozen beer flavoured cordial ;)

---------- Post added at 10:46 ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 ----------

virgin have enough money as it is

they should get rid of them Indian call centres and open some more uk based ones

I so miss telewest/blueyonder customer service

In this instance there's not much they will be able to tell you that VM's CS haven't. They've told you the issue and given you an estimated fix time. Unless Telewest / BlueYonder customer service go down and sweep the nodes and cabinets personally nothing will change.

---------- Post added at 10:47 ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 ----------

You must live on the outskirts at that price.:D

Of course! The London Borough of Richmond upon Thames don't you know.