PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Installation problem

wiseman3175
20-12-2009, 15:13
Well, I booked installation for the 12th of December online, but it was confirmed over the phone to take place on the 19th. Fair enough, busy time of the year an all that...

Well the two chaps turn up promptly at 8:30 and have all the internal bits installed by 9:30, very polite and well mannered.

The only problem is, the house that I live in (which used to have cable in before I moved in in 2004), well seemingly it is the wrong sort of cable. (Not being a techy, I wasn't exactly sure what they were talking about, something about a t-line)

The nice chaps said they would phone their boss on Monday and get someone to cable me up.

How worried should I be?

Will it be actually possible to cable me up?
Will I be able to receive the 50 Meg broadband if I do get connected?
Will I actually be telephoned on Monday with an update on the installation?
Will I be able to get it sorted before 2010?

I've been reading the boards and there seems to be some right horror stories out there!

I'll feedback, if and when anything happens. I have emailed customer support, but I'm not that confident as they ignored the last email I sent to them.

webcrawler2050
20-12-2009, 15:53
Well, I booked installation for the 12th of December online, but it was confirmed over the phone to take place on the 19th. Fair enough, busy time of the year an all that...

Well the two chaps turn up promptly at 8:30 and have all the internal bits installed by 9:30, very polite and well mannered.

The only problem is, the house that I live in (which used to have cable in before I moved in in 2004), well seemingly it is the wrong sort of cable. (Not being a techy, I wasn't exactly sure what they were talking about, something about a t-line)

The nice chaps said they would phone their boss on Monday and get someone to cable me up.

How worried should I be?

Will it be actually possible to cable me up?
Will I be able to receive the 50 Meg broadband if I do get connected?
Will I actually be telephoned on Monday with an update on the installation?
Will I be able to get it sorted before 2010?

I've been reading the boards and there seems to be some right horror stories out there!

I'll feedback, if and when anything happens. I have emailed customer support, but I'm not that confident as they ignored the last email I sent to them.

One of the techs on here, should be able to offer some assistance.

Nedkelly
20-12-2009, 17:05
Is the swept t blocked? did they have to bring a new cable to the house :)

Peter_
20-12-2009, 17:08
Ring up tomorrow after 0800 on 0845 454 1111 to see if they have an update for you rather than wait for a call from someone.

wiseman3175
20-12-2009, 18:57
Well, it had been snowing and the path out the front had iced over, so they scraped this away and opened a little hatch in the path (about 4 inches by 3 inches) and had a look inside and the chap said it confirmed his fears about it having the wrong cable - the house had had virgin but it was from the old days and the newer stuff hadn't been installed (or something like that) and it needed some new cable. I'm not sure if he was implying from the hole to the house, or from a special junction box somewhere down the street...

I'll give them a tinkle at lunch time, give them a morning to sort something out and the benefit of the doubt. Don't want to seem a moaning old sod.

Peter_
20-12-2009, 18:58
I'll give them a tinkle at lunch time, give them a morning to sort something out and the benefit of the doubt. Don't want to seem a moaning old sod.
Thats what we are there for so you can moan.;)

jungleguy
21-12-2009, 05:39
am I right in thinking everything has been installed? am I also right in thinking everything is working?
this could just be a RG11 re-pull.

one of the problems the pulling crews are facing at the moment is that they can't find the chambers (metal CATV man hole covers) due to the snow. So they can't pull the cables.

wiseman3175
21-12-2009, 13:14
Well, I phoned up customer services at 10:00, and it took a few goes to find my account. I explained the problem, was put on hold for a minute and the reply I got was...

VM: Was it the technical team who said they'd phone you?
Me: Well I was told told someone would phone me...

VM: Well it is a bit early, you'd best try again about 12:00

End of conversation.

I could be reading between the lines here, but it sounds like a phone again later when I've finished my shift as I haven't got a clue. The engineers were here at 8:30 on the dot, so I can't see why 10:00 would be too early for them.

I've got a very bad feeling about this.

---------- Post added at 12:03 ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 ----------

Here's an update:

phoned customer services - selected the installation dept and was told it wasn't their area as the installation had taken place (ie the internal boxes had been installed) and the operator wasn't sure who to direct me to next when I asked who I should speak to next.

Eventually after a bit of grumbling I was put through to someone who said they'd phone me back in 15 minutes....

---------- Post added at 12:14 ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 ----------

Had a call from the nice chap who fitted the install - he's popping round tomorrow afternoon about 1 ish to 'pull the cable' - not sure what that means but fingers crossed. Have to say it's been service quality of differing levels. Wonder if my email will get a reply? I'll keep people informed as to my progress.

wiseman3175
22-12-2009, 15:14
Brief update, 1 hour until the Virgin man comes back for part 2, but the BT line no longer works, so I hope he won't try to call me.

Can't ring out, can't ring in - yet my broadband connection is still active?

Fingers crossed for this afternoon.

---------- Post added at 13:09 ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 ----------

The cable man turned up and is workng away - only problem now is bt have cut the service so it is an issue when it comes to porting (?). And the broadband from the BT line has finally died...

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 13:09 ----------

Well the cablemen are trying to push a cable down a hole and it goes for about 20m and then they pull it all back out again... Getting worried now!

Jules
22-12-2009, 16:10
Sitting with bated breath ready for the next instalment, this is getting interesting :D

LondonRoad
22-12-2009, 16:23
Sitting with bated breath ready for the next instalment, this is getting interesting :D

I'm on my third bag of popcorn, biting nails anxiously and clicking referesh. :D

wiseman3175
22-12-2009, 18:25
Well the chaps are stood in my living room having moved heaven and a little bit of earth only for the network to go down when trying to install and set up the box set...

---------- Post added at 16:22 ---------- Previous post was at 15:51 ----------

I've sent the chaps home to get warm - the box is saying LD20 and they're popping back tomorrow about 11 ish to finish off. The efforts have been a credit to Virgin it's just a pity the Gods have been against us.

---------- Post added at 17:25 ---------- Previous post was at 16:22 ----------

I have TV, Phone and 'Net - Three Cheers to the network engineers who worked in the cold to get this done. Excellent service from them, still waiting for a reply to my email from a few days ago....

wiseman3175
23-12-2009, 14:16
Just to report - all has been done, box upgraded, the whole caboodle. Engineers gave great service, customer services less so, and still no reply to my email apart from the automated reply.

Now enjoying my TV, Net and Phone!

End of Story.

Jules
23-12-2009, 16:36
Oh well time to go look for my entertainment else were now lol. Glad you it all done and up and running for you :tu:

Digital Fanatic
23-12-2009, 20:20
Just to report - all has been done, box upgraded, the whole caboodle. Engineers gave great service, customer services less so, and still no reply to my email apart from the automated reply.

Now enjoying my TV, Net and Phone!

End of Story.

Glad to hear it's up and running for you :)

When did you email Customer Care? The website quotes:

We aim to resolve all written complaints within 28 days and to respond to all e-mails within 48 hours.

It's a busy time of year too :)

wiseman3175
24-12-2009, 10:19
I emailed them on the 19th of December and got a standard we'll respond within 48 hours. The previous email that I sent to them was in late November, still waiting for a response from that one too...

Still at least all is working fine at the moment. I might even write a letter commending the services of the engineers to the complaints desk - see how they handle a compliment...

Digital Fanatic
24-12-2009, 19:04
I emailed them on the 19th of December and got a standard we'll respond within 48 hours. The previous email that I sent to them was in late November, still waiting for a response from that one too...

Still at least all is working fine at the moment. I might even write a letter commending the services of the engineers to the complaints desk - see how they handle a compliment...

:xmas: anyway... enjoy your fibre optic services ;)