PDA

View Full Version : Screwed By Virgin!

morley04
19-12-2009, 16:43
My installation date was today but i received a call saying "They had doubled booked and could'nt come untill Middle January" , So im now left with no services untill 2010 :td:, So i take it the other person they had booked with me is having more than just BB? £££'s in VM'S Pockets.

Why did they advertise "Order Before **December and be installed before CHRISTMAS?" If they cannot?

In there TC'S it says " They need to give 24hours/1days notice if they cannot make the appointment, This was a VM colleague on Phone telling me this. Guess what they gave me less than 12Hours! notice so ive lost a days pay + Missed other important appointments because of VM.

Now they want to try and get a service engineer to see if he can install the BB on Monday 21st December on his OWN! I dont think they'll show ;)

Thanks for Trying tho!

dcclanuk
19-12-2009, 17:53
If they don't do it for you on Monday, I think you can actually SUE them for BREACH of CONTRACT. The fact is, by law, you can ALREADY sue them for BREACH of CONTRACT, you don't have to wait till the 21st.

I just sat my Law module yesterday, and this was part of Contract/Termination law ;)

The only thing is, what would you get for damages/compensation? hmmm... hard to determine that.

P.S. "Why did they advertise "Order Before **December and be installed before CHRISTMAS?" " means that there is a contract as you accepted it, so they MUST deliver now!

Hope you get it sorted!

Toto
19-12-2009, 18:00
My installation date was today but i received a call saying "They had doubled booked and could'nt come untill Middle January" , So im now left with no services untill 2010 :td:, So i take it the other person they had booked with me is having more than just BB? £££'s in VM'S Pockets.

Why did they advertise "Order Before **December and be installed before CHRISTMAS?" If they cannot?

In there TC'S it says " They need to give 24hours/1days notice if they cannot make the appointment, This was a VM colleague on Phone telling me this. Guess what they gave me less than 12Hours! notice so ive lost a days pay + Missed other important appointments because of VM.

Now they want to try and get a service engineer to see if he can install the BB on Monday 21st December on his OWN! I dont think they'll show ;)

Thanks for Trying tho!

I've looked at the T&C's for cable, and there does not appear to be anything that says they must give you 24 hours notice if they can't make an installation, all I can find is this:

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/terms.html

A Obtaining the services

We and/or Virgin Media Entertainment will try to meet any date agreed with you for installation or activation of the services , but we and/or Virgin Media Entertainment may have to change the installation date given to you or activation may be delayed. If we and/or Virgin Media
Entertainment do, we will try to notify you of any changes as soon as possible.

webcrawler2050
19-12-2009, 18:43
If they don't do it for you on Monday, I think you can actually SUE them for BREACH of CONTRACT. The fact is, by law, you can ALREADY sue them for BREACH of CONTRACT, you don't have to wait till the 21st.

I just sat my Law module yesterday, and this was part of Contract/Termination law ;)

The only thing is, what would you get for damages/compensation? hmmm... hard to determine that.

P.S. "Why did they advertise "Order Before **December and be installed before CHRISTMAS?" " means that there is a contract as you accepted it, so they MUST deliver now!

Hope you get it sorted!

If they have "double booked" then they will come out the next day I assume.

HAHA Sue them? What is this America? You realise, a massive company like VM with throw all their legal resources at "something" like this and simply make an example of you..

What would "sueing" them seriously gaing? A massive legal bill and probably made to look like a fool. They won't give you compensation nor will they give any cash. They may give a credit on the account but nothing else.

I vcan't believe you seriously suggested that!?!?!?

Arthurgray50@blu
19-12-2009, 19:18
VM's t/c is not worth the paper it is written on, l have said all along that no matter what you do or say, it won't change anything.

Your best bet is to write to Niel Berkett the CEO and record it, and complain strongly about it.

Toto
19-12-2009, 19:31
VM's t/c is not worth the paper it is written on, l have said all along that no matter what you do or say, it won't change anything.

Your best bet is to write to Niel Berkett the CEO and record it, and complain strongly about it.

As usual you don't appear to have read all the posts Arthurgray50, I have already said that was was quoted to the customer by a CS did not appear to reflect their actual T&C's published on their web site.

VM's T&C's protect their interests at every turn. What has happened to this potential customer is a shame, and many will say typical of the service you should expect to receive from VM.

Bottom line though, if they don't make an appointment, they have covered themselves, as these things happen.

AndyCambs
19-12-2009, 20:49
Unless he changed his name - it might be better to write to Neil Burkett. ;)

LondonRoad
19-12-2009, 21:06
Before MLM arrives, I suspect this thread might receive some hits from t'internet people who may not be members of CF (First result on Google when I tested :))

dcclanuk
19-12-2009, 21:27
HAHA Sue them? What is this America? You realise, a massive company like VM with throw all their legal resources at "something" like this and simply make an example of you..

What would "sueing" them seriously gaing? A massive legal bill and probably made to look like a fool. They won't give you compensation nor will they give any cash. They may give a credit on the account but nothing else.

I vcan't believe you seriously suggested that!?!?!?

LoL. Just the Law stuff still floating around in my head. But it doesn't matter HOW BIG VM is, a breach of contract is a breach of contract. You would NOT get a massive legal bill nor would you look like a fool, as in this case VM would be in the wrong!

[I am not saying he should go and definately sue lol, was just pointing out their legal position in this ;)]

edit: with regards to the compensation, I just realised that you had to take the day off, I think VM might be liable to pay for this- the cost of a days wages, as that is how much you lost due to THEM breaching the contract! [As this should come under negligence and they have to put you in the position you were in before the negligence took place]

webcrawler2050
19-12-2009, 21:55
LoL. Just the Law stuff still floating around in my head. But it doesn't matter HOW BIG VM is, a breach of contract is a breach of contract. You would NOT get a massive legal bill nor would you look like a fool, as in this case VM would be in the wrong!

[I am not saying he should go and definately sue lol, was just pointing out their legal position in this ;)]

edit: with regards to the compensation, I just realised that you had to take the day off, I think VM might be liable to pay for this- the cost of a days wages, as that is how much you lost due to THEM breaching the contract! [As this should come under negligence and they have to put you in the position you were in before the negligence took place]

It's not a breech, they will argue as per their terms, they let the customer know as soon as possible.

And with regards to his pay, nope, VM arn't liable.

dcclanuk
19-12-2009, 22:06
It's not a breech, they will argue as per their terms, they let the customer know as soon as possible.

And with regards to his pay, nope, VM arn't liable.

As soon as possible? Under 12 hours? That may be in their terms, but is that an acceptable time frame? I am not an expert lawyer lol, but was just trying to apply what I learnt into real life practise!

Peter_
19-12-2009, 22:32
Unless he changed his name - it might be better to write to Neil Burkett. ;)
If he uses your spelling of his first name and his spelling of his surname then he should get a reply.

Neil Berkett (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=neil+berkett&meta=&aq=6&oq=neil+b)

webcrawler2050
20-12-2009, 00:33
As soon as possible? Under 12 hours? That may be in their terms, but is that an acceptable time frame? I am not an expert lawyer lol, but was just trying to apply what I learnt into real life practise!

I think under 12 hours is acceptable in any case, exactly, if the engineer is given his/her job sheet in the morning / afternoon and to find a double booking. So yes, i believe thats fine.

Speaking to a "lawyer" will do absolutly nothing, other than annoy the client, cost him/her a small fortune, being made an example of by VM. I for one, working on a tech desk, am sick to death of hearing, a client say, " I will take it to my solictior" as if they think by some magical flick of the wand, companies are going to respond, UK clients are shocking for it. UK clients, are without a doubt more demanding, in my experience, I deal with AUS & US clients and they are all "relaxed" bit UK clients seem to think the words "court" & "solicitor" are going to scare / get further progress from the company, where as in fact, VM have a team, to deal with their terms, that are very likely paid big bucks to protect the company from these kind of pathetic acts of "ill speak to my solicitor" is England turning into America?

/ mini rant over

Ben B
20-12-2009, 00:43
Screwed by Virgin? Why is there a problem with that? ;) :Sprint:

Begize
20-12-2009, 07:46
Same thing happened to my Dad - had an install date cancelled at short notice (longer than 24 hours), they wanted to re-arrange when he would be on holiday so they arranged another date over a month away in October (it was a long holiday).

On the day of the install, no one turned up so he rang CS. They tried to claim that they had called to cancel the day before and that because of "students" they were very busy and could only do it in November.

When he mentioned compensation for staying at home all day waiting, they said they had spoken to him the previous day. When he said they hadn't, they said left a message, then when he said there were no messages on the machine they said on his voicemail. When he explained he doesn't have voicemail on the line they said on his mobile phone. When he asked them what mobile phone number (he hadn't given them one), they got cut off.

He was pretty mad as Virgin had contacted BT to cancel his landline on the day of the install (all part of the service apparently), and he had a letter from BT confirming it would be cut off on that day. He spoke to Virgin again who just kept saying it wasn't their fault, they had rung him and that he had to ring BT to get them to delay the cut off. When he tried to ask what they suggested he should do about his broadband (which had also been cut off the same day), those lines to India crashed again.... :rolleyes:

When he called back again and spoke to someone in the UK they just repeated the mantra that they had called when they hadn't (or I suppose had called the wrong person or mixed things up). There was no apology or offer of some kind of token gesture for the trouble.

He got his deposit refunded and went elsewhere.

dcclanuk
20-12-2009, 10:52
I think under 12 hours is acceptable in any case, exactly, if the engineer is given his/her job sheet in the morning / afternoon and to find a double booking. So yes, i believe thats fine.

Speaking to a "lawyer" will do absolutly nothing, other than annoy the client, cost him/her a small fortune, being made an example of by VM. I for one, working on a tech desk, am sick to death of hearing, a client say, " I will take it to my solictior" as if they think by some magical flick of the wand, companies are going to respond, UK clients are shocking for it. UK clients, are without a doubt more demanding, in my experience, I deal with AUS & US clients and they are all "relaxed" bit UK clients seem to think the words "court" & "solicitor" are going to scare / get further progress from the company, where as in fact, VM have a team, to deal with their terms, that are very likely paid big bucks to protect the company from these kind of pathetic acts of "ill speak to my solicitor" is England turning into America?

/ mini rant over

I didn't say he should be speaking to a lawyer:erm: .
I have worked on one too, although we didn't have external clients ;)
If VM didn't screw up like they do [OP's case and the post above this], then maybe people wouldn't need to say anything. Oh dear, did I just suggest that if something wasn't broke then people wouldn't complain? I must be wrong:dozey:

webcrawler2050
20-12-2009, 11:12
I didn't say he should be speaking to a lawyer:erm: .
I have worked on one too, although we didn't have external clients ;)
If VM didn't screw up like they do [OP's case and the post above this], then maybe people wouldn't need to say anything. Oh dear, did I just suggest that if something wasn't broke then people wouldn't complain? I must be wrong:dozey:

No, no, no. Compalin and be excessive is a different thing but this country seems to be seriel moaners..

Peter_
20-12-2009, 11:33
If Virginmedia thought for one moment that their Terms and Conditions did not cover all eventualities like this then thy would have had an engineer out on the day.

You could try to sue but the likelihood of it going very far and you getting a positive result would be negligible.

morley04
21-12-2009, 10:58
Monday morning and it's not looking good for the tech to show up got 1hour left and I wonder why I even bother!:confused:

Digital Fanatic
21-12-2009, 17:56
Monday morning and it's not looking good for the tech to show up got 1hour left and I wonder why I even bother!:confused:

did he turn up?

morley04
21-12-2009, 18:08
Yes with a few mins to spare lol now I've got to wait for a phone call telling me when thy can fit me in as it's a 2 hour job he said

arcamalpha2004
22-12-2009, 04:35
No, no, no. Compalin and be excessive is a different thing but this country seems to be seriel moaners..

So, customers should not get what they pay hard earned money for?
If somebody takes time off work to be at home for an install vm should be atleast honourable on their part, never mind looking for reasons why they do not have to turn up for an appointment.
Big old vm wanting to wipe the floor with a potential customer in court hey? :erm:

---------- Post added at 04:35 ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 ----------

Same thing happened to my Dad - had an install date cancelled at short notice (longer than 24 hours), they wanted to re-arrange when he would be on holiday so they arranged another date over a month away in October (it was a long holiday).

On the day of the install, no one turned up so he rang CS. They tried to claim that they had called to cancel the day before and that because of "students" they were very busy and could only do it in November.

When he mentioned compensation for staying at home all day waiting, they said they had spoken to him the previous day. When he said they hadn't, they said left a message, then when he said there were no messages on the machine they said on his voicemail. When he explained he doesn't have voicemail on the line they said on his mobile phone. When he asked them what mobile phone number (he hadn't given them one), they got cut off.

He was pretty mad as Virgin had contacted BT to cancel his landline on the day of the install (all part of the service apparently), and he had a letter from BT confirming it would be cut off on that day. He spoke to Virgin again who just kept saying it wasn't their fault, they had rung him and that he had to ring BT to get them to delay the cut off. When he tried to ask what they suggested he should do about his broadband (which had also been cut off the same day), those lines to India crashed again.... :rolleyes:

When he called back again and spoke to someone in the UK they just repeated the mantra that they had called when they hadn't (or I suppose had called the wrong person or mixed things up). There was no apology or offer of some kind of token gesture for the trouble.

He got his deposit refunded and went elsewhere.

Sounds about right.
Even their own engineers are raising concerns regarding how they feel customers are being let down:

http://leakedmemo.com/an-open-letter-to-richardbransonavonline-plc-and-virgin-media/

morley04
22-12-2009, 13:05
no internet untill january 28th 37days no internet unacceptble considering it should of happend on the 19th. nighmare its the 21st Century not the 19th