PDA

View Full Version : Random Disconnects

jh3457
17-12-2009, 18:21
Hi there,

I'm on the 10mb Virgin Media package, and for the last 1-2 months I've been getting random disconnects at peak times.

What'll happen is that any web services that I've got up and running (I'm a web developer, so I'll often have an FTP, SSH or Remote Desktop client running) disconnect, and I can't access any web pages for around 20 seconds.

When this happens, half the time the sync and ready lights will stay on, and half the time they will go off. Each time the Ethernet light stays flashing, showing that my computer is still trying to send/receive data through the modem.

After these 20 seconds or so, the connection will come back.

I have tried this with different computers in case there's a problem with my NIC, and disconnected my router, but even a straight through connection to a Linux machine still has exactly the same faults.

I've phoned technical support numerous (more than 5) times about this, and I get one of two robotic repsonse each time - "if the sync or ready lights don't go off, there's no fault", or "call us back when the connection is actually disconnected" (how can I do that if the connection returns within seconds?). A couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to get a technician to visit. He said that the modem was getting too much power from their cables, and fitted a device to limit the amount of power going into the modem. It was fixed for that night, but it then started going wrong again.

However, the really interesting part is that I have a friend living about 300 meters away from me, who's on the same package. When my internet connection drops, so does his. We both lose our service at exactly the same time. So it must be a fault within the area? Whenever I tell the support advisor this, they seem to just change the subject back to my sync and ready lights.

This is driving me crazy now, does anyone have any idea of what the problem could be, or anything I can say to technical support to make them give me some help??

My levels are (I know nothing about this technical side, so tell me if you need more info):
Downstream Receive Power Level: 1.2 dBmV
Downstream SNR: 37.8 dB

Upstream Symbol Rate: 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level: 49.0 dBmV

Thanks for reading.

III
17-12-2009, 22:19
Try posting on the news groups
http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/newsgroups/setting-up.php