PDA

View Full Version : Changed address - Can't move services

Fatbloke_uk
17-12-2009, 16:01
Hi all,

I'm looking for a bit of advice.

Basically i've moved into a bedsit and have been told by the VM Moving House Team that i am unable to take my services with me, as they do not service bedsits. I have TWO problems with that statement.

1: Where in the T&C does it state that ?
2: Why does the person living in the bedsit right above me have VM services ?

As it stands at the moment, i am being billed for services i am not getting. This little saga has been ongoing now for 2 weeks.

I've been told by the moving house team that my services couldn't be connected because the multi occupancy building wasn't registered on Royal Mails website (it is now)

I was told by the spotter that came out, that VM don't service bedsits, but very kindly pointed out that the cable for the upstairs bedsit runs right past my window. He also left me a wayleave form (filled out by landlord & faxed to VM)

I even had a visit from the Area Manager, who said he couldn't see a reason why the services couldn't be installed & he would arrange it. (heard nothing back from him)

The latest offer (insult), is that i can have their 'national' service .... which requires a BT phone line. I do not like BT, i do not wish to have any form of contract with BT ..... come to think of it, why cant VM install a phone line & run the national service through their own line ?

So, my question is ..... is there anything i can do to get this mess sorted out ?

Thanks in advance

Stuart
17-12-2009, 16:52
:welcome: to the forum.

If you send me your real name, your postal address, a contact phone number and your account number, I can refer your case to our contacts within VM.

As for Virgin not being able to operate their national service over their own phone lines. There is a very good reason for this. ADSL based internet (which is what Virgin National is) needs hardware support in the exchange. BT's exchanges have this. Virgin's don't, and are unlikely to anytime soon, as if they did, Virgin would essentially be spending an awful lot of money on the hardware just to compete with itself..

Fatbloke_uk
17-12-2009, 22:13
Hi Stuart,

Thank you ... info on it's way to way to you :)

Fatbloke_uk
18-12-2009, 17:06
And the saga continues ...

Apparently ... VM staff have recently signed an agreement, stating that they will not give services to bedsits. However, the person that told me that ... couldn't confirm where in the T&C's it states that.

I live in a city that has a very large university. A lot of the students that attend that university live (or will be living) in bedsits. Do VM realise the LARGE portion of the market they are turning away ?

As for me ..... it would appear i have 3 options
1: keep paying VM & getting no service (which i'm sure they will love)
2: buy my out of the contract (which means VM still get paid)
3: contact my local radio station, explain the situation to them & let them broadcast that VM are happy to RIP OFF their customers.

Whilst writing this, i rang VM to have my services disconnected. The "person" i spoke to, cut me off ..... i'm done, as far as i'm concerned now ... VM can go swing. First thing in the morning i will be at my bank cancelling my direct debit.

If this is level of customer care that VM employees are trained to ... BT & Sky will soon be getting a lot more custom. I am totally disgusted by the way i have been treated.

Stuart
24-12-2009, 13:44
Well, to update everyone, I've been notified by both the OP and our contact that the issue is being resolved. It's going to take a while (until the end of january), but the OP will get the Cable service he wants..

For those who are interested, apparently part of the problem is that the house is not registered as a multi occupancy house in VMs system..

Fatbloke_uk
24-12-2009, 14:19
Thank you again Stuart

you beat me to it, was just on my here to post the update.

Fatbloke_uk
28-01-2010, 00:27
Latest (and probably last) update.

Since being contacted by those slightly higher up the chain of command, than your average call centre operator (no offence intended) ... and informed that my connection would most likely go ahead at the end of January .... i have heard nothing.

This is despite a polite reminder email sent by me to the person i was speaking to, half way through January.

Today is the 27th January (looking at my clock, it's now actually the 28th) ... the only communication i have had from Virgin, is the billing advice email.

Although in my initial post i stated
I do not like BT, i do not wish to have any form of contract with BT
I have today had BT services installed.

Why? ....... because at least BT had the common courtesy to
(a) Keep me informed of what was happening.
and
(b) didn't try to fob me off with excuse after excuse after lie after bulls**t.