PDA

View Full Version : Modem power adapter

Carth
16-12-2009, 00:11
Hi Guys, I (still) have the NTL Home 100 modem ( ... who's laughing at the back there? ;) ) but I think its days are now numbered.

Occasionally when I switch it on there is no power - no lights, dead as the proverbial - and I've discovered that 'twiddling' with the power cable where it enters the adapter (AD-101A2D) brings it back to life and all is well. I'm guessing there's a break in the wire, and also guessing that it won't be long before it gives up the ghost :rolleyes:

If I ring and explain the problem would I be issued a new modem, or would they send out a new adapter ? To be honest the modem has been great since I first got it around 7 or 8 years ago, it's like part of the family now :D

... and another question, if it failed entirely before a new modem (or adapter) arrived would a 'third party' adapter of equivalent specs get me back online ? I'm asking in case a new one gets bogged down in the Christmas postage nightmare and I lose my net access for a few days :shocked:

Sephiroth
16-12-2009, 00:18
Hi Guys, I (still) have the NTL Home 100 modem ( ... who's laughing at the back there? ;) ) but I think its days are now numbered.

Occasionally when I switch it on there is no power - no lights, dead as the proverbial - and I've discovered that 'twiddling' with the power cable where it enters the adapter (AD-101A2D) brings it back to life and all is well. I'm guessing there's a break in the wire, and also guessing that it won't be long before it gives up the ghost :rolleyes:

If I ring and explain the problem would I be issued a new modem, or would they send out a new adapter ? To be honest the modem has been great since I first got it around 7 or 8 years ago, it's like part of the family now :D

... and another question, if it failed entirely before a new modem (or adapter) arrived would a 'third party' adapter of equivalent specs get me back online ? I'm asking in case a new one gets bogged down in the Christmas postage nightmare and I lose my net access for a few days :shocked:

VM will replace your modem if you ring and explain. That#s a certainty.

The other certainty is that if you can't sort it before Chrimbo, then it'll go completely phut over the Chrimbo period!

You can in theory get your own power supply, but you'll be in breach of VM's contract terms. If that's what you want to do, you'd take the modem and PSU ro Maplin's and see if you can get a matched REGULATED PSU.

Hope that helps.

Carth
16-12-2009, 00:41
Cheers Seph, I'm going to ring in the morning and hope to get a replacement before the impending catastrophe strikes :D

to be honest my main concern was about the 'worst case scenario' and whether a different PSU would do the job if it came to that.
Thanks for pointing out that I would be breaching the contract terms, my fingers will now be crossed until Mr Postman knocks at the door :tu:

Carth
16-12-2009, 11:13
update - couldn't find an edit button so new post (just seen I can edit this post, so obviously time related)

Anyway, called and spoke to a gent named Arshish/Arsis/Arsheesh who has promised to send me a replacement modem (unspecified model) which should arrive during the next 2 to 3 working days.

He said I have to call back when I receive the modem in order for them to register the modem to my account, is this correct ? I presumed it would be a case of plug it in and away I go :erm:

Also, will I also have to re configure the router or will it automatically sort it out - I currently don't have any of the Mac address stuff enabled anyway ?

Kymmy
16-12-2009, 11:18
The fault was one of two things, either the wire has broken just before the power connector or the socket on the main board has a dry joint on it. As stated and as you;ve since found out that VM will happily replace a modem with these faults :)

and No will should not have to reconfigure the router at all

Peter_
16-12-2009, 17:44
update - couldn't find an edit button so new post (just seen I can edit this post, so obviously time related)

Anyway, called and spoke to a gent named Arshish/Arsis/Arsheesh who has promised to send me a replacement modem (unspecified model) which should arrive during the next 2 to 3 working days.

He said I have to call back when I receive the modem in order for them to register the modem to my account, is this correct ? I presumed it would be a case of plug it in and away I go :erm:

Also, will I also have to re configure the router or will it automatically sort it out - I currently don't have any of the Mac address stuff enabled anyway ?
When you receive the modem swap it over with your old modem, the is a spanner included to help with the white cable.

Then call in to get the modem activated, when your call is answered you will be asked for the MAC address of the modem so that it can be added to the account and provisioning signals will be sent to the modem.

You then reboot the modem and you should be online.