PDA

View Full Version : outside cable

outsidecable
15-12-2009, 13:23
hi there,
im moving bedrooms down a floor and my current aerial comes through a hole in my window and is just about long enough to reach my freeview box.
im moving down a floor and the room doesn't have an aerial lead at all.
so my thinking is to take the end off th cable pull it back through the small hole put some sort of suitable outside cable on it and then put it through my new bedroom window which is directly below.
i have absolutely no experience with cables. does this sound sort of ok? where can i buy an outside cable from?
thanks in advance!
Rachel x

Kymmy
15-12-2009, 14:27
Hi Rachel and welcome to the forum.

Inside and outside cable is roughly the same thing with TV co-ax, you could a length of coax with a female plug one end and male the other to extend your cable but if you do make sure you waterproof the connection with something like amalgamated tape and it should then be fine

The coax and connectors can be bought from anywhere like Maplins or another TV/antenna shop

pabscars
15-12-2009, 16:21
hi there,
im moving bedrooms down a floor and my current aerial comes through a hole in my window and is just about long enough to reach my freeview box.
im moving down a floor and the room doesn't have an aerial lead at all.
so my thinking is to take the end off th cable pull it back through the small hole put some sort of suitable outside cable on it and then put it through my new bedroom window which is directly below.
i have absolutely no experience with cables. does this sound sort of ok? where can i buy an outside cable from?
thanks in advance!
Rachel x

If you do as you've suggested and pull out the old cable, you should be left with more slack than before because your going down a floor, therefore no need to buy any cable.

Just undo the end, pull it through, drill a fresh hole if necessary, push through the new hole, stick the end back on it and hay presto.

Just be sure not to let any of the inner and outer cores touch each other, as this will result in poor or no picture quality

outsidecable
15-12-2009, 18:17
perfect- you have completely answered my question!
thankyou x

Kymmy
15-12-2009, 18:20
Now I hope you don't take your answer and run from the forum ;) We may be a mad and crazy bunch but we are very loveable and totally fun :p: