PDA

View Full Version : Something fishy going on!

darkangelwitch66
13-12-2009, 23:14
Hi

I’m hoping you can help me out with the rubbish I’m getting from virgin.
I have the 10gb broadband internet and about 6 weeks ago I’ve been have hell with my net every other weekend.
I seem to stay connection for it I’m lucky two hours then it cuts off for about 15 mins , this will happen all weekend.

Each time I have called them on a Monday, the first time a guy came up and said it was something to do with the box outside and it was fix.

Then two weeks later on a weekend it happens again, the same thing. The guy came and looked at my net, box and then said it was a network problem and someone would be out in a few days, a few days on it was fixed.

Now two week on and yet again a weekend, it is now happing again, I will be calling yet again tomorrow, but I would like to know what you guys think? I’m getting really sick of it and starting to wonder if it’s some kind of cap?

Any info or input would be good, so I can pull them on it tomorrow...

Thanks

Peter_
13-12-2009, 23:16
Post what modem you have and your power levels from your config pages of your modem. The should be a sticker on the bottom saying what model.

If using an Ambit modem please click here
http://root:root@192.168.100.1/CmOpConfig.asp

If using any other modem click here
http://192.168.100.1/

What I want you to post is the Downstream power levels including the SNR and the Upstream power levels for me thanks.

DO NOT POST YOUR MAC ADDRESS OR SERIAL NUMBER

darkangelwitch66
13-12-2009, 23:38
Here we are :)

Modem Name: WebSTAR EPC2100R2

Downstream Channel:
Power Level: 8.7 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio:39.5 dB

Upstream Channel:
Power Level:51.5 dBmV

I've been told it's not my modem, if it is, very clever it is, if it can tell when it's a weekend LOL...

Peter_
13-12-2009, 23:41
Your power levels are fine so possibly your area is suffering from oversubscription, to many people using the same uBR.

faisalabadi
13-12-2009, 23:43
no wonder its in scotland too.

xocemp
13-12-2009, 23:43
That return path power and your intermittent connection would indicate low/fluctuating SNR on the VM network.

darkangelwitch66
13-12-2009, 23:45
So what can be done about it? It happen every two weeks at a weekend and why is it that it seems to be happening only to me?

I can spend the rest of my days with virgin calling them out every two weeks on a Monday! Then waiting another two days for the network guys to fix it :(

Peter_
13-12-2009, 23:53
That return path power and your intermittent connection would indicate low/fluctuating SNR on the VM network.
Is it the Upstream SNR that is likely to be causing this XO.

If so is it more of a network issue that needs escalating.

darkangelwitch66
13-12-2009, 23:58
Is it the Upstream SNR that is likely to be causing this XO.

If so is it more of a network issue that needs escalating.

Should I point this out on my call to them tomorrow? Also what have the network guys been doing the past two times they been out then? That it was fixed then started up again? As I said it's been every two weeks.

Thanks for all the help and info....

Peter_
14-12-2009, 00:03
What do you think Xocemp should she mention what you have diagnosed to the agent.

xocemp
14-12-2009, 00:12
Indeed, ingress can worsen with higher traffic. Best if you can call when you have no connection darkangelwitch66 ( scary name :erm: )

darkangelwitch66
14-12-2009, 00:18
Indeed, ingress can worsen with higher traffic. Best if you can call when you have no connection darkangelwitch66 ( scary name :erm: )

Lol yer my name gets most people worried ;)

It's hard to called them when the net is down, because by the time I get a reply it could be back for an hour or so before it's gone again and it could only be down for 10 to 15 mins...

But I will for sure tell them all the info been given here, won't say where I got it from tho. I'll keep you all posted on what they say and do, if you think of anything I should add in my call please let me know.

Thank you both :)