PDA

View Full Version : Installation complete, but no broadband

Feeble
13-12-2009, 19:27
On Friday night I had Virginmedia broadband + telephone line installed. I had asked for a wireless router, and was supplied with a Dlink DIR-615. The installers assured me it could be configured wirelessly, so we had it set up in a corner which was easy for them to access.

We had no wireless adapters until the following day, when we bought two Netgear RangeMax Wireless-N USB 2.0 Adapters, set up one, and then tried to run the CD that we had been given to configure the Dlink DIR-615. The second thing I was asked to do was to connect the ethernet cable. Can't do that, for reasons of distance and physical access.

Apparently there should be a separate CD for wireless configuration, but we were not given one. Is it possible to configure a Dlink DIR-615 without the correct CD, and if so, how do I do it ?

Despite (too many) years in computing, I know nothing at all about routers and broadband, and the Virgin helpline has been hard to access, is frequently hard to hear, or disconnects, so any (simple) guidance that anyone could offer would be welcome.

I am currently using an ADSL connection via a BT line.
PCs all run Windows XP Home Edition, browsing with Firefox 2.0.0.20.

Peter_
13-12-2009, 19:39
Try this link below just take the router to the computer and connect an ethernet cable into one of the blue sockets on the back of the router ensure all lights are not orange and follow the instructions in the link.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34916465-post3.html

fireman328
13-12-2009, 19:40
Another quality installation !

Peter_
13-12-2009, 19:43
Another quality installation !
Installation technicians do not install routers for customers as they are not allowed to in case the customer makes a claim against them for a fault on their equipment.

fireman328
13-12-2009, 19:57
Was the customer not advised of this beforehand ?

Peter_
13-12-2009, 20:11
Was the customer not advised of this beforehand ?
Technicians only install the modems not the router and it is stated as such here and sales should have told the customer this as well.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/help/installationwireless.html

Feeble
13-12-2009, 20:45
[QUOTE=Moldova;34926635]Try this link below just take the router to the computer and connect an ethernet cable into one of the blue sockets on the back of the router ensure all lights are not orange and follow the instructions in the link.

Does the router still need to be connected to the Virginmedia cable ? Sorry to be so dense.

Peter_
13-12-2009, 20:48
[QUOTE=Moldova;34926635]Try this link below just take the router to the computer and connect an ethernet cable into one of the blue sockets on the back of the router ensure all lights are not orange and follow the instructions in the link.

Does the router still need to be connected to the Virginmedia cable ? Sorry to be so dense.
No just take the D Link to the PC and forget about the Black modem for now, when the wireless is setup bring the router back downstairs and reconnect to the modem and when the router comes back on you should be online.

Welshchris
14-12-2009, 00:04
Installation technicians do not install routers for customers as they are not allowed to in case the customer makes a claim against them for a fault on their equipment.

i know of 2 occasions here where installation technicians have setup routers for people who asked them to so it does happen even tho its not supposed to.

jungleguy
14-12-2009, 06:13
i know of 2 occasions here where installation technicians have setup routers for people who asked them to so it does happen even tho its not supposed to.

The fact is installers are NOT expected to set up wireless networks for customers. They're not IT consultants.

webcrawler2050
14-12-2009, 09:23
On Friday night I had Virginmedia broadband + telephone line installed. I had asked for a wireless router, and was supplied with a Dlink DIR-615. The installers assured me it could be configured wirelessly, so we had it set up in a corner which was easy for them to access.

We had no wireless adapters until the following day, when we bought two Netgear RangeMax Wireless-N USB 2.0 Adapters, set up one, and then tried to run the CD that we had been given to configure the Dlink DIR-615. The second thing I was asked to do was to connect the ethernet cable. Can't do that, for reasons of distance and physical access.

Apparently there should be a separate CD for wireless configuration, but we were not given one. Is it possible to configure a Dlink DIR-615 without the correct CD, and if so, how do I do it ?

Despite (too many) years in computing, I know nothing at all about routers and broadband, and the Virgin helpline has been hard to access, is frequently hard to hear, or disconnects, so any (simple) guidance that anyone could offer would be welcome.

I am currently using an ADSL connection via a BT line.
PCs all run Windows XP Home Edition, browsing with Firefox 2.0.0.20.#

Your Virgin modem, will have beeen supplied with a blue or ethernet calble. PLug this, into the "internet" port on the router.

Next, find the Wifi on your PC, very likely to be called "Dlink" If you havn't activated the modem yet, follow the process. It's as simple as that. Don't forget to make the router secure, if the install process doesn't do this for you.

Also, VM techs will not and should not, setup the router, they simply give you a receipt to sign and a white box.

Let us know how you get on.

Feeble
14-12-2009, 17:01
#

Your Virgin modem, will have beeen supplied with a blue or ethernet calble. PLug this, into the "internet" port on the router.

Next, find the Wifi on your PC, very likely to be called "Dlink" If you havn't activated the modem yet, follow the process. It's as simple as that. Don't forget to make the router secure, if the install process doesn't do this for you.

Also, VM techs will not and should not, setup the router, they simply give you a receipt to sign and a white box.

Let us know how you get on.

Oddly enough, the VM techs did connect the router and modem, as the person who signed me up had assured me they would, but I didn't have any wireless adapters (having been told that VM would do everything necessary to get us connected, I hadn't realised we needed to supply our own adapters), to test with. So I was left with the CD to run, and it's the ethernet cable config CD rather than the wireless config CD (as mentioned in the instructions).
Thanks to Moldova (upthread), I now know what to do.

I was very very careful to check that all this was going to be done for us, as my wife is a recovering lung cancer patient, and I am chronically ill, diabetic, and have depression. So we ain't at all agile, and would not have embarked on this if I had known how it would go. Or I would have used a contractor to do it as a turnkey project.

But the stress of it has set off the depression again, so nothing can happen until I am better. Thanks for all the helpful advice. I will let you know how things turn out, but it may be several weeks yet before I can post again.

Have to say I'm a wee bit disenchanted with VM at present.

Feeble
15-12-2009, 16:06
[QUOTE=Feeble;34927176]

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I will let you know how things turn out, but it may be several weeks yet before I can post again.

In fact I am now online thanks to a helpful friend, who spotted that there were no DNS servers configured for the VM connection, and no default gateway set, and once these were added, things worked much better.

Again, my thanks to all.