PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help - Denial of service

TakeCare
12-12-2009, 10:55
Morning,

Hope I have this in the right place.
For a while now I keep losing connection and yet diagnostics say no problems with pc.
My Panda log shows this many times...

icmp echo request - blocked
denial of service.

A friend reckoned I should use whatismyipaddress as I use a router,which I did and used again after restarting. Both addresses were the same and says..

ISP telewest broadband
Proxy - none detected
type cable/DSL.

This is driving me potty.....any advice please??

Thx in advance.

Raistlin
12-12-2009, 11:01
Does it say what IP address the ICMP Echo Request is coming from that is being blocked?

If you reboot the PC does it get a connection back again?

If you reboot the modem do you get a connection again?

If you take the router out of the equation and connect directly to the modem (remember that you'll need to power cycle all the devices - in other words turn them all off, connect them up, then turn on cable modem, router, PC, in that order, leaving a few minutes between each one) do you get a stable connection that way?

TakeCare
12-12-2009, 11:17
Hi Rob,

Thanks for talking in plain language and not techy talk ;)

It says remote IP 192.168.1.2
Denial of service is 192.168.1.254 ( assume ok to post these numbers? )

I dont always have to reboot. When I run diagnositcs, always says no probs with pc, and if then click to close its box, the page usually then appears.

Thanks

Raistlin
12-12-2009, 11:24
Yeah, those numbers are fine to post.

Go into your Panda software setup and see if there's a setting in there to block either a) 'pings', b) 'unsolicited pings', or c) ICMP echo request, or d) something similar.

While you're poking around could you go to 'Start' > 'Run', and then in the window that opens type:
cmd

Then hit Ok.

A black window with white text (probably) will pop up, when it does type:
ipconfig

Then hit return.

You should get a load of information which will include at least one line that starts "IPv4 Address" - is that address 192.168.1.2 or something different?

Dai
12-12-2009, 11:26
Yes it's safe to post 192... IPs as they are internal to your network only.
The 192.168.1.2 address could be your router or your PC.
Both the IPs are internal ie within your home setup so whatever the reason it's not an attack from outside.

Raistlin
12-12-2009, 11:29
I'm guessing (hence my questions above) that the router is pinging his computer to check it's still up and running, and that his software firewall (Panda) is blocking it, at that point the router will probably stop communicating with the PC. When the diagnostic checker is run the first thing it does is try to establish contact with the router, thus telling the router that the PC is up and running, and thereby restoring the connection.....maybe :D

---------- Post added at 11:29 ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 ----------

Forgot to ask, are you running the Windows firewall AND Panda?

TakeCare
12-12-2009, 11:39
Found the IPv4 192.168.1.1 last number different to what I posted above.

Been in Panda but cant find what you mentioned :o::o::D

---------- Post added at 11:35 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

Panda firewall is on. How do I check about windows one in Vista?

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 ----------

Found windows firewall details, it is off. Just Panda one on

Dai
12-12-2009, 11:43
I'm not familiar with the Panda firewall but I would expect that there is an option somewhere to define a local (trusted) IP range.

If that range is set as 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.1.255 then all local traffic should be permitted and the problem hopefully will go away.

@Rob M - I'd be interested to try a telnet to that 254 IP and see if anything responds.

Raistlin
12-12-2009, 11:46
I would imagine (given that the OP) seems to be on x.1 that the router is probably on x.254, which would seem to support my theory.

I would suggest at this point turning the Vista firewall back on, and disabling the firewall portion of Panda completely (obviously leave the AV component running for now).

TakeCare
12-12-2009, 11:52
Okay, I will try as you suggest.Thanks to you both for your help.

Just bought a case of Stella earlier ( 1/2 price in Morrisons ). A few got your names on if ever passing ;):p:

Raistlin
12-12-2009, 11:55
:LOL:

Sounds good to me, I'll be round in about 10 minutes.

Run with Panda off (and the Vista firewall on) for a while and see how you get on. The Vista one should be able to work out what your internal network addressings are automagically and so it should allow proper communication with the router (I take it that is the router on 192.168.1.254?).