PDA

View Full Version : Moving to a non cabled area :/

Gypsie
11-12-2009, 13:17
Through not fault of my own I have to move house in 1 month time after recently signing up as a new customer on 50mb.

It is looking like the area I will be moving to is a non cabled area and I am just wondering if I am obliged to switch over to the regular adsl supplied by virgin or if my contract will get terminated?

Kymmy
11-12-2009, 13:19
If it gets terminated then you'll have a termination fee to pay, otherwise it will be ADSL

BenMcr
11-12-2009, 15:57
www.virgin.net/allyours has details of the ADSL products.

The LLU stuff is as good as other providers like Be Broadband

beasty54
12-12-2009, 16:33
Through not fault of my own I have to move house in 1 month time after recently signing up as a new customer on 50mb.

It is looking like the area I will be moving to is a non cabled area and I am just wondering if I am obliged to switch over to the regular adsl supplied by virgin or if my contract will get terminated?

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago and although virgin media didn't exist then and it was still Telewest, i was forced to pay the remainder of the contact. I had the same problem with sky, i was unable to have a dish up when i moved and was forced to pay the remainder of the contract again. Virgin media may have a different procedure but in my experience a 12 month contract is exactly that and unfortunately, you moving (for whatever reason) and not having access to the service is nothing to do with company involved.

I hope virgin media are willing to work something out for you, good luck.

Sephiroth
12-12-2009, 16:41

I hope virgin media are willing to work something out for you, good luck.

If not, dump them.

BenMcr
12-12-2009, 21:21
I hope virgin media are willing to work something out for you, good luck.As has already been said, as long as you continue with Virgin ADSL you do NOT have to pay out of your cable contract at all.

However if you do not take anything, then yes you will have to pay

beasty54
13-12-2009, 00:58
As has already been said, as long as you continue with Virgin ADSL you do NOT have to pay out of your cable contract at all.

However if you do not take anything, then yes you will have to pay

I hope your right because remember the 50mb itself is a 12 month contract, from what virgin say anyway. My housemate at my last place wasn't able to downgrade from 50mb to 20mb and that was about 6 months in.

BenMcr
13-12-2009, 03:36
It's all in Section K of the Terms (http://www.virginmedia.com/legal)

beasty54
13-12-2009, 16:19
It's all in Section K of the Terms (http://www.virginmedia.com/legal)

Maybe i'm just not reading it correctly or maybe its just because its a sunday but if the 50mb broadband has a minimum 12 month contract how can you just migrate to an ADSL service at a new place? Unless the terms have changed since i had 50mb at my previous house the person in question will have to pay whatever is left of the 50mb 12 month contract??

BenMcr
13-12-2009, 16:27
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existing-customer/moving-faqs.html#8

I'm moving to a National area, can I still receive services?
Absolutely! If you are moving into a National area then we can sort things out so that your connection is ready and waiting for you when you move in. Give us a call on 0845 454 1111 (it costs the same as a local rate call) let us know your new address and phone number and we can set things up at your new place. Just remember to give us 14 days notice so we've got enough time to sort things out.

What is National and what can I get?
If your new home is in a National area, then we'll deliver new services to you down your BT phoneline.

Right now you can get:
* Free TV (with over 40 channels)
* Fast reliable broadband
* Flexible home phone package
* A very different mobile service

Just give us a call and we'll make all the arrangements for you.

What about my contract?
Don't worry about your old contract. You can simply start a new one when you get your National services.

---------- Post added at 16:27 ---------- Previous post was at 16:25 ----------

So as long as you continue with services from Virgin Media at the address you move to (whether cable or ADSL), all previous contracts are cancelled and no payout is needed

Sephiroth
14-12-2009, 02:09

Just check that your new gaff is close enough to the BT exchange to get at least 5 Mbps. Otherwise you'll run into problems if you take the IPTV and want to do other things at the same time. (I think IPTV needs about 2Mbps - not sure).

But do check the distance from the exchange for your peace of mind.

nightfly56
17-12-2009, 17:56
Right now you can get:
* Free TV (with over 40 channels)
* Fast reliable broadband
* Flexible home phone package
* A very different mobile service

* Fast reliable broadband, having a girraffe there, I moved from a cabled area to a national area and the speeds I get are slower than dial up, 10 minutes to view a 30 second you tube clip, phoning the support line is a waste of time coz they never answer the phone, just leave you hanging listening to canned music, I am seriously considering going elsewhere for my bb

Mick

Ignitionnet
17-12-2009, 18:16
Just check that your new gaff is close enough to the BT exchange to get at least 5 Mbps. Otherwise you'll run into problems if you take the IPTV and want to do other things at the same time. (I think IPTV needs about 2Mbps - not sure).

But do check the distance from the exchange for your peace of mind.

Virgin don't deliver IPTV on the National product, it's a Freeview box.

Sephiroth
18-12-2009, 13:33
Virgin don't deliver IPTV on the National product, it's a Freeview box.

BT's equivalent.

Ignitionnet
18-12-2009, 13:48
BT's equivalent.

Isn't the issue here no-one's mentioned BT Vision :p:

BT won't supply BT Vision if too far away from the exchange and sync rate below 4Mbps. BT Vision is a hybrid Freeview box and IPTV pull VoD. Only true IPTV is Tiscali TV / Homechoice. I have some fond memories of that, it was very cool when I had it.