PDA

View Full Version : Download Amount Question

chris26engwales
11-12-2009, 07:34
I have a question about ammounts of downloads on Virgin.

My dad is on a 20mb connection, he does download quite heavily sometimes videos or pics for his work from rapidshare around the country as he is an interior designer and a Architect.

Aswell as this between myself and my step brothers we play a lot of online games on PS3 and XBox 360 and also download content from them.

My dad is a little worried that he is now downloading around 230GB a month on average and Virgin may complain that he is downloading to much. Although we rarely cause STM to kick in as a lot of this is done in the evenings after we work he is still worried.

I told dad that he shouldnt because its an unlimited service but he i still worried, what can i do to convince him?

candy1567
11-12-2009, 09:55
hi

the 20mg connection is not an unlimited service, and as far as i know and am sure someone will correct me if am wrong, u are allowed to download a certain amount during peak periods and if u go over this then u will be STM for 5 hrs.

Off peak periods are fine though. You can check this on the virgin website am sure someone will post the link.

the only connection which is truly unlimited is the 50mg, and does not hav any STM on it at the moment although wen its shipped out across the country am sure in the not to distant future this will also be traffic managed.

st1992
11-12-2009, 10:26
http://www.virginmedia.com/help/traffic-management.php

Daytime

If you download more than 7000MB between 10am - 3pm, your connection will be limited to 5MB for 5 hours.

Evening

If you download more than 3500MB between 4pm - 9pm, your connection will be limited to 5MB for 5 hours.

If you upload more than 1400MB between 3pm - 8pm, your connection will be limited to 5MB for 5 hours.

Kymmy
11-12-2009, 10:59
I don't think the OP is interested in the STM rules... ;)

Chris, VM do not have a policy of restrictions on the total amount downloaded, though I will state that as your father is using a residential service for business they could in essence restrict the account purely on that if they ever found out.. (and yes there are ways especially when downloading from a business address all the time)

He could always get a business account (£49 for 20Mb, I believe it is STM'd unlike the 10Mb but with a lot higher limits and no limits during the day) but for that you also get a phoneline with unlimited calls at any time of the day

bubblegun
12-12-2009, 03:18
I used to do about 100gb a week on 20mb so I wouldn't too much. Never got a letter or anything.

AbyssUnderground
12-12-2009, 03:34
I've used 850GB/month on 10Mbps, no letter. Don't worry about it, it is truely unlimited besides the STM. Even with it 10Mbps can do 70GB/day and 20Mbps 140GB/day or so.